User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #301
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,018
Thanks Phil for the photee!

Paperwork is almost sorted out, some of it is late already!
  • My FIM licence is hopfully being processed as I type this (holding thumbs);
    Entry fees all paid up;
    Rastro equipment rental sorted;
    SPOT equipment rental sorted;
    Two Radio rental sorted;
    Letter of permission, passports, drivers licences, medical cards all sorted;
    Flights are booked;
    Support vehicle Co-drivers are sorted.

I am still waiting for the people at ETRF to get back to me on a couple of questions, and I still need to finalise my medical evacuation insurance (read headache).

Meanwhile crating operations in SanFran have been suspended while we wait for Phil's new engine to com in tomorrow. I think they will be doing his final crate on the weekend, ready for shipping next week.

I had a great training ride yesterday, only about 3 hours but it included 22 laps on the MX track and mixed ride of fast track, some dunes and some technical stuff of around 140-160km, which I did slower than I would have liked, mostly because I dont want to fall off anywhere!

Tomorrow I will do another hour on the MX track, and then on Saturday I will be pushing a whole day of riding with my local Enduro buddies who are all training for the upcoming enduro comp in early September. I will ride another whole day on Sunday too, combination of MX and two track again like yesterday.

Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #302
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Photo: Dave Peckham

Our bikes were dropped off at LAX this morning for the flight through to Brasilia, Brazil. Phil's bike has been sorted and you can see the three bikes on the trailer and the support crate in the front. Well done, guys!

That, couple with all the emails from various Brazilian companies flogging videos, massages, life insurance, de lux accommodation, books etc. reality the of what I got myself into is comign home. :o

Something like: "What the.. was I thinking?? ??"

Training is going really well. Too well. I have been getting in plenty of saddle time. But I need time now for my tendon development to catch up in my arms. They're a little bit sore. I'm no medical expert but I had the same problem when I became a climbing nut at university: you develop the muscles really fast and you suddenly become a lot better, but then the tendons start to hurt big time. They canot take the strain because they develop slower than muscles. A period of rest helps a lot with this.

This was last weeks program:

1.5 hrs last Monday;
3 hrs Tuesday;
4 hrs Wednesday;
4 hrs Friday;
8 hrs Saturday (One low velocity off); and
2 hrs Sunday.
22 hrs Total for the week

I've learnt a few new things:

1) MX trax are by far the best way to get riding fit - 20 fast laps feels like a whole day of enduro;
2) I can now jump sort of okay (Im clearing some of the smaller jumps nicely);
3) Riding MX is very different to rally/enduro; It takes time to get my eye back in on fast tracks (50-100m ahead vs 20m-30m ahead), I end up looking down more and it makes me slower. Overall this is not really a problem;
4) A combination of fast track/enduro type riding with laps on an MX circuit (swap the sequence) has the best results;
5) Sleep is a luxury;
6) Gym is no replacement for hard riding time, the best way to get riding fit is to ride. Even though I have been focussing on developing "riding" muscles in my gym sessions, my excersize regime does not cover all the riding muscles. Apart from cycling, there are too many movements and positions in riding to replicate in a gym in my humble opinion;
7) Apparently the world cup is over. I would have liked to have watched it, but with the time zones it would have interfered with riding time.

Im going to give my upper body a rest for 6 days and see how it goes again on Saturday. Meanwhile I will be working stomach and legs (spinning etc.).

The riding schedule this week has been hard to keep up. My typical day consisted of MX laps followed by around 100-140km of fairly technical riding, whoops, dunes, hillclimbing, some fast track and perhaps 30km of asphalt connecting the riding areas around my house. I was a little miffed that Im only averaging 50km/hr but I guess thats better than crashing. Sometimes I leave the MX track till last, but its more of a workout the other way around. The upside of this is on Saturday I found I was able to ride quite hard the whole day with the Enduro guys and felt quite good afterwards. Previously I was absolutely finished. I even managed to squeeze in 13 laps on the MX circuit before dark.

I feel relatively prepared. Im riding well, and I feel strong enough to do this.

The only doubt I have is river crossings, especially slippery ones. Ive had very little practice on this. Any bright ideas and hints? There are around 100 river crossings to negotiate on this rally.

Another of the big dangers are cattle grids.

Not the kind we are used to in South Africa, but some with holes in the middle,

and others which look like this. Should make things interesting. :-\

We have basically three weeks until we fly out, that leaves only two weeks of training left. Highest on my mind right now at all times is the need to keep the rubber side down. Crashing now is just not an option.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #303
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
my advice to you is to stop riding as soon as possible.
LOTS of riders get hurt right before a rally during riding/training.

I almost didnt go to Dakar because of this.
Take the first 5 days of the rally to take your marks and warm up.
By the end of that 5th day, your muscles will be doing good.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #304
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Take a 'break'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUDO

Hey Neil,
Do as Mr Ludo suggests.....Make SURE you are at the start of the rally!
Although riding is the best form of training, as long as you have the places to ride and the determination to push yourself, (which you obviously have) stay off the BIKE so close to the start.

Get in the gym where you are unlikely to be injured.

You will be fresh, injury free and dying to get on that 'peach' of a bike you have had built!

Of course at the start of the rally is when most accidents happen so ease yourself in to it, you can't win it on the first stage but you could certainly be coming home! You now know how much goes in to getting to the start of a rally!

Of course I didn't follow my own advice and snapped my ankle training for Dakar 2008, fortunately for me it was the year it was cancelled so 'every cloud' etc etc
barrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #305
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Yeah...I guess you are right...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:02 PM   #306
Farioli
"just do it"

Oddometer: 514
Quote:

, yes sir, good advise
2015 Dakar Malles Moto #164

2015, Cortez Challenge!
Farioli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #307
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Just been looking through some of the old videos: This is going to be a fairly dangerous course, listening to the guys, it does not sound like this was in the road book.

There is video of a biker sliding along the same bridge somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-15-2010, 12:16 AM   #308
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

In the viideo, the first copilot warns the rider that this is a level three danger. (the highest)
I'll tell you, after that crash, the promoter was really hard on the cars category. Those guys can be idiots.
They re lucky nobody died there!

Fyi, The sertoes roadbook is actually the most precise and accurate roadbook I have ever seen. If you follow it well, you should have zero surprises!

LUDO screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 12:21 AM
LUDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #309
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
In the viideo, the first copilot warns the rider that this is a level three danger. (the highest)
I'll tell you, after that crash, the promoter was really hard on the cars category. Those guys can be idiots.
They re lucky nobody died there!

Fyi, The sertoes roadbook is actually the most precise and accurate roadbook I have ever seen. If you follow it well, you should have zero surprises!
Thats great to hear, I missed the bit in the beginning, but was amused by the expletives afterwards!

Its strange though, because a number of cars almost came off there and a biker did as well. If you saw the vid of the biker, he was not expecting it, because he was sitting down and got catapulted off his seat ion a spectacular endo that saw him sliding the full length of the bridge. Hope he was okay. Probably he was tired and not concentrating.

Anway its encouraging to hear the roadbooks are excellent.

I guess they all use the same Dakar symbols or do they have some Portuguese descriptions as well?
Old 07-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #310
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

yeah lots of people do ot read the roadbook and just follow tracks.
it can be in english if you want it.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:18 PM   #311
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Thats great to hear, I missed the bit in the beginning, but was amused by the expletives afterwards!

Its strange though, because a number of cars almost came off there and a biker did as well. If you saw the vid of the biker, he was not expecting it, because he was sitting down and got catapulted off his seat ion a spectacular endo that saw him sliding the full length of the bridge. Hope he was okay. Probably he was tired and not concentrating.

I guess they all use the same Dakar symbols or do they have some Portuguese descriptions as well?
You'll have a huge advantage being on a bike,
being that you can shift your weight around in flight to somewhat correct your angles before landing (most of the time)
as long as you are paying attention before you hit something like that

in a car your pretty much screwed if you don't pay attention to all the warnings
although crashing in a car is much easier on your body (most of the time)

A few ???'s
When is the race?
Will I be able to watch this race on TV / Cable if so when and where
& do you know what # you will have

Best of luck to you
Enjoy & ride safe
airborndad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #312
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #313
LUDO
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007

hey blubull. In dakar this year I rode a couple times with a peruvian guy who was on a husky! a great rider and super nice guy!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #314
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,494
Quote:
THANKS

I should have thought of the internet (brain fart on my part)

http://www.sertoes.com/Ing_Noticia.html?ling=ing&id=117
airborndad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #315
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,704
Feh. This thread needs more flower pics.

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote