Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #361
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet)
Magic stuff! Goodness you've got your hands full, never mind updating us in such detail - fantastic effort all round!

J xx
+1

This thread just keeps getting better and better!

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:03 AM   #362
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,984
great update !

lord knows how you found time to do that, but I am sure glad you did and I can't wait for more.

rootin for ya
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 AM   #363
Benz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
That is one beautiful bike.

I was originally hoping to ride a BMW450, but Im a noob, and there was a distinct lack of interest from all the motorad outlets I spoke to. Also, they have not been all that reliable, remember Frans Verhofen's drama on the 13th stage of the Dakar. This bike I think is the new generation, so hopefully will be more reliable. I will have a look see, and hopefully get some pics of Jose's bike up close.
I'm in the process of getting pricing on having one of these built. There's a dealer that will order me the rally kit and install it on a new bike and keep it street legal. Just waiting on a price quote and I might go ahead and do it. I will do the Speedbrain big bore kit as well to give me a little more power to do some highway cruising to get to riding spots.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:57 AM   #364
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Benz is at it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz
I'm in the process of getting pricing on having one of these built. There's a dealer that will order me the rally kit and install it on a new bike and keep it street legal. Just waiting on a price quote and I might go ahead and do it. I will do the Speedbrain big bore kit as well to give me a little more power to do some highway cruising to get to riding spots.
Hey Benz, you're at it again.....Every time you have a comment it involves money and what you may or may not do with it.
It's getting a little tedious!
Old 08-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #365
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrier911
Hey Benz, you're at it again.....Every time you have a comment it involves money and what you may or may not do with it.
It's getting a little tedious!
+1

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #366
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Neil calls in from the eve of the SuperPrime at Sertoes!

Direct Download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/rallyraidio/10SER02.mp3

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #367
Guy Jinbaiquerre
Monorail Conductor

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz
Benz, how about posting a ride report from your trip down to the Tail of the Dragon? We'd all like to see it and it would take your mind off buying new bikes for a while (maybe).
Guy Jinbaiquerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #368
InsiderDirtRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Neil calls in from the eve of the SuperPrime at Sertoes!

Direct Download: http://media.libsyn.com/media/rallyraidio/10SER02.mp3
Thanks Packmule...

If you don't feel like listening to the call -Neil had some electrical issues on the preliminary stage, and couldn't use the starter motor, so had to kick / bump start it every time. Has to fit a new stator before the start of the next stage tomorrow. But then they're off -
130 km liaison,
130km special stage, and
160km liason

Here are some photos of the preliminary stage:

Our own BB2007 on Springbokkie

InsiderDirtRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:29 AM   #369
InsiderDirtRider
Adventurer

I Just got a call from Neil as well...

Apparently the problem is caused by the fact that the bike's regulator / stator can't handle the load of the HID light, Spot, roadbook, etc - so they are doing the first stage with it as it is, and then rebuilding or replacing the stator and regulator before the SECOND stage. He says their mechanics are quite jacked, and with the added help of the Lazard team, they should be able to sort it out.

Apparently he got Ludo to bump start him down a ramp at first, and then he stalled the bike on the start line for the prelim! But adrenaline was pumping so he got it running on the first kick and all was well

He finished last in the prelim stage, so will be starting at the back of the pack in the world championship class - FAAR ahead of the trucks

He says the nerves were killing him before the prelim stage, but things have calmed down a little for this first main stage - they're off in about half an hour or so for the liaison.

Dude, be safe, and enjoy it!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:30 AM   #370
InsiderDirtRider
Adventurer

Follow Neil's SPOT tracker here
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #371
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderDirtRider
Apparently the problem is caused by the fact that the bike's regulator / stator can't handle the load of the HID light, Spot, roadbook, etc -
Dammit! We thought we had that problem licked. A few weeks before the bike went in the crate, I tested it with everything running. With both fans on, the charging system was barely keeping up. But, it was charging fine when everything but the fans were on. (We rode it for a few hours after final assembly. I wish we could have ridden it more, but the parts were in the paint shop for much of June and July.) I wish I were there to help out, but the team seems to have the resources they need. I won't be able to sleep here until I hear that the bike is OK.

Charlie
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:59 AM   #372
InsiderDirtRider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
Dammit! We thought we had that problem licked. A few weeks before the bike went in the crate, I tested it with everything running. With both fans on, the charging system was barely keeping up. But, it was charging fine when everything but the fans were on. (We rode it for a few hours after final assembly. I wish we could have ridden it more, but the parts were in the paint shop for much of June and July.) I wish I were there to help out, but the team seems to have the resources they need. I won't be able to sleep here until I hear that the bike is OK.

Charlie
Hi Charlie,

Neil was quite convinced that they would have the savvy and manpower there to sort it out today after the stage.

I see his Spot isn't working, or more likely the website isn't working - so it's difficult to say what his progress is.

I have a phone number for him if you would like to PM me to get it - whether he'll answer is a different story.

But OK, enough hijacking of this thread!
Old 08-11-2010, 04:17 PM   #373
VDG
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,340
Pics from Bluebull2007 (Neil) #111 by webventure

http://www.webventure.com.br/sertoes...stro&qtdPag=14
VDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #374
lastplace
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsiderDirtRider
Hi Charlie,

Neil was quite convinced that they would have the savvy and manpower there to sort it out today after the stage.
They got it sorted. Beefier reg/rectifier from a Honda and a rewound stator now works well. And, apparently the "women are off the richter" according to the text I got from the assistance guys.
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #375
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastplace
apparently the "women are off the richter" according to the text I got from the assistance guys.
Charlie ... its BRAZIL
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote