User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #106
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Eish...Sorry about that, I got mixed up. Must have been all that orange about. We´re waiting for your photees & videos too. Post it here if you like.
Obviously you're colour blind too as my bike was most definitely red not orange

Oh, and I'm working on my story that will probably be published on an online moto magazine and I'm working on editing a video from the weekend too. If I have as much downtime as they say hopefully they'll both be done soon. I won't be as exciting as yours because I never went as fast as you
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:21 AM   #107
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
Obviously you're colour blind too as my bike was most definitely red not orange
Yeah yeah, youre on the red 525 that looks like a 690 with that huge fairing! But its orange allright. Dont get me started on the KTM jokes now...

Quote:
Oh, and I'm working on my story that will probably be published on an online moto magazine and I'm working on editing a video from the weekend too. If I have as much downtime as they say hopefully they'll both be done soon. I won't be as exciting as yours because I never went as fast as you
True, but then you never had to haul yourself out of trees and stuff at every sharp bend either!

I´d love to read your story, I hope youre going to point us in the right direction for that.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #108
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Yeah yeah, youre on the red 525 that looks like a 690 with that huge fairing! But its orange allright. Dont get me started on the KTM jokes now...
You're one to talk about huge fairings! I think that's calling the kettle black, oops I almost put a couple of f's in there

Quote:
True, but then you never had to haul yourself out of trees and stuff at every sharp bend either!

I´d love to read your story, I hope youre going to point us in the right direction for that.
You did see the paint removal I did on my bike didn't you?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #109
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,740
Yo Bulebull2007, I read the first post but didnt find anything so I figured I would ask you.

Have you had any motor modifications done to the WR? Also what did you do for gearing. Stock or taller?

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #110
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by header
Yo Bulebull2007, I read the first post but didnt find anything so I figured I would ask you.

Have you had any motor modifications done to the WR? Also what did you do for gearing. Stock or taller?
Heade,r its a stock standard engine, only the zorst had some things ripped out of it and a 15 front sprocket bolted on. I topped out around 97mph, but doubt I would be able to hold it at that speed for long.

On the last day (RR still outstanding) I cruised fine for about 15 minutes on one section at around 85-90, but tapped off a bit not wanting ruin a brand new engine. I suppose I could play some more with sprockets, but then I would lose out on in the difficult stuff in 1st. The way the bike is now, the 1st gear is kinda more like a second, its pain in the butt on steep downhills!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #111
skibum69
slave to gravity

I didn't push my bike past 75mph. It would have gone higher but I didn't see the point.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #112
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #113
skibum69
slave to gravity

is that a hint?
Old 04-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #114
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,455
quick imbed school... copy imbed link ... paste embed link... click reply
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #115
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
quick imbed school... copy imbed link ... paste embed link... click reply
oh, I thought you were digging at me for not going fast enough? Or maybe you're waiting for me to up load a video? I'm still editing...
Old 04-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #116
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum69
I didn't push my bike past 75mph. It would have gone higher but I didn't see the point.
I didn't push it past 90 mph...I could sense that the jetting didn't want to go much higher so I didn't see the point in pushing it any more

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:32 PM   #117
skibum69
slave to gravity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
I didn't push it past 90 mph...I could sense that the jetting didn't want to go much higher so I didn't see the point in pushing it any more
I have had my 640 up to 100mph, right before the road started heading uphill
Old 04-27-2010, 04:27 PM   #118
Bluebull2007 OP
Adventurer

Time to get on with the rally school report.

Day 2
We woke at 05h30 the next day, early for us, at least an hour late for any normal rally (we are really big softies deep down you know ) . But the idea here was not the racing so much as making sure we could navigate well and actually finish the course in one piece. After all most of us are new to rally raid.

I wasted an inordinate amount of time generally faffing about with petty basics getting ready. I was horrified myself at how disorganised I was in general. Ive never been one for detail, but I needed it here. Looking for things strewn about, filling my camelbak etc. I suppose in time I´ll will get into the rythm of doing this, but I found it irritating. Breakfast came on eary enough and people ended up talking kark instead of getting ready. At the end of it all I was only ready to go by 08h00. Going to have to do better than that in the near future.

Here is JB Getting ready in Don´s mobile workshop, which is really awesome by the way.

This is a pic (sorry about quality) of me sporting my shiny new gear from
http://www.MX1west.com, proud sponsor of Team Wild West Dos Sertões.

Jason from MX1WEST was excellent, I phoned him and he send me a box of stuff I could pick and choose from, settle the account later and included a big (and I mean BIG) discount for serious rally racers too. Thanks Jason for bending over backwards for a difficult customer!! I´ll recommend you to anyone. Get in touch with his team if you need any riding or protective gear. He is the US distributor for all ACERBIS gear, they sport some great body armour.

EDIT: Let's change this one to a link, as it is Not Safe For Work.
http://bluebull2007.smugmug.com/ADV/...5_kUKf7-XL.jpg

I got to my bike and found this posted on my roadbook in anticipation of the brothel (yes I meant brothel) we would be going past on the 5 loop. Thats a easy tulip to read....

Marcus and I decided we would ride together today. He had a loaned Honda 650 that did the 05 Dakar I think. Anyway it lived up to its piggy status of taking more than 45 minutes to get it started! Then Scott at No. 99 decided he felt like riding with us on his amazing Harley with pickup wheels and sidecar (he had managed to find another sucker to ride with him ) . So we waited for him to get his gear sorted.

Finally we set off, and the route quickly turned into a slow twisting set of turns in a maze of roads in the area. After starting well and picking up the first couple of navigational tricks, I found myself hopelessly lost than 3 miles from the start in a warren of criss-crossing tracks. FRUSTRATING. Instead of being logical about it I got into race fever and had a brain explosion (read got lazy) and just followed Marcus without worrying about the roadbook too much. Problem was that he was also a bit lost, and when he stopped to confirm with me I just gave him a dumb look. It took us another 15 minutes to sort ourselves out, while Scott hung back to watch us stew.

I learnt that no matter how exciting it might be, its vitally important to keep a cool head and resist the urge to go charging off on some track that looks good. I suppose it didnt help that I was enjoying this new bike so much. This navigation thing needs a more disciplined and focused approach. I lost a lot of time riding up and down instead of stopping to think things through a little bit, maybe scroll ahead in the roadbook to see whats next etc. We had a general map of the routes with us as well in case we really got into a fix, but at no stage did we have the urge to look at them. That would have spoiled the challenge, and besides, you´d only be cheating yourself and catch yourself out on a rally later on anyway.

After managing our way through the warren of u-turns, loops circling back etc. in the initial stages, we were lead to a place of mystery in the roadbook a tulip with a dotted arrow ------> indicating HP (off piste) ±v (more or less visible track) leading into some thickets and sage brush. Actually it was not visible at all, and I narrowly missed an early lunch of sage brush because the sagebush was growing in a small, twisted dune field that I ran into quite unexpectedly. . Recovering, with Marcus hot on my tail, we thrashed through the small dunes. Very tricky indeed, it requires a lot of skill dodging small trees and thick bushes growing all over small, heaped up dunes. The bike handled okay in the soft stuff, and before long I was cutting a trail on a cap heading through some more open bush finally hitting a road at the right distance on my ICO.

What a great feeling it is when you expect a landmark having followed the instructions and actually come accross it! I had been doing it all the previous day but its especially sweet hen you are riding off piste. It makes riding that much richer, following a route like this. Youre not just riding an enduro anymore, you now have think about what you are doing, what direction you are travelling in, how far you are and where next you need to turn or make an adjustment. If you screw up you have two options go back, or press on at high risk of getting totally lost. Its great to be accountable to your own navigational abilities. Its also really unpleasant if you get lost, but its so much more rewarding to hit the mark at the right place.

I stopped brielfy to let Marcus catch up, I think he stalled the bike in the dune section but luckily managed to start the bike without too much kicking.

...Gotta rush off to an embassy function, will try to update again later tonight.

Cheers

Neil

Click Here to jump to my next post

Bluebull2007 screwed with this post 05-31-2010 at 01:42 AM
Old 04-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #119
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,363
Wow, great thread! I'm just getting caught up. Great pics and great report! Subscribed.
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 12:33 AM   #120
skibum69
slave to gravity

you actually CHOSE that outfit yourself? Now that proves you're colour blind