ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 PM   #136
nomad guy
nonaffiliated

Oddometer: 767
The impact of the drought on the area is scary. Most of Panoche Valley looks like part Mars. One large dust bowl. Still, a nice easy ride up the hills.
To anyone going, please remember everywhere is at high risk of fire.

04 KTM ADV 950S GO!!!!!
09 KTM 690 ENDURO R
nomad guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #137
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
The impact of the drought on the area is scary. Most of Panoche Valley looks like part Mars. One large dust bowl. Still, a nice easy ride up the hills.
Spring is the only time of the year that place comes to life. And
we're heading into a crappy spring.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:12 AM   #138
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad guy View Post
A few years back while riding through Tumey Hills I came across the fire marshal doing a survey. He said there was no fuel for a fire and I doubt the BLM's grazing policy has changed so I'm guessing the fire risks will be preter-low, especially now that its started raining.

The last trip we did to Mercey was the year the Quicksilver Enduro was cancelled because Clear Creek was full of snow (it snowed on the beach in Monterrey that year!). COLD trip... I'd rather not repeat that one and wait a bit.

BLM closes the roads from mid-April to mid-October:
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...ion/tumey.html

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:15 PM   #139
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Oddometer: 50
Clear creek

Some one set up this Clear Creek ride. I will be there. I know the area fairly well. The ride from New Idria to Coalinga Road thru Clear Creek is easily doable. Plenty of riding off that road. But I'm not sure of the technical legality of it all. I agree that people are using it all the time and there is virtually no patrolling of the area. If it is DS riding you want, there are great roads in and out. New Idria Rd. from Panoche Rd. is narrow and twisted, but paved. Clear Creek Rd. is all dirt, usually hard and dusty. It is wide and rutted with hundreds of paths going off forever in every direction. Coalinga Rd is a good road with nice views and fun to ride. This would be a good place for those wishing to head home to turn left towards Coalinga and HWY 5. If you chose to ride more going right takes you to the old Hernandez road which goes thru some great back country and drops out on HWY 25, not to far below the Pinnicles National Park. This would be a great side track if not pushed for time. You are then about 30 miles below Hollister. Stop at Johnnies Bar and Grill, for good food and a beer. A good days loop over all. Or there is much to see and ride if doing a weekender. So, some one set it up and let's ride. I would do it but, I live in Hollister and most of you are coming from the HWY 5 side. Don't know where it is best for you to meet up. Best for you to pick the spot and date. And I can't make promises because of my health. But, this is perfect for me if it happens. Please include me in any PM about it.
MikeC.
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #140
pcvance
Masters Paint & Body

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
Some one set up this Clear Creek ride. I will be there. I know the area fairly well. The ride from New Idria to Coalinga Road thru Clear Creek is easily doable. Plenty of riding off that road. But I'm not sure of the technical legality of it all. I agree that people are using it all the time and there is virtually no patrolling of the area. If it is DS riding you want, there are great roads in and out. New Idria Rd. from Panoche Rd. is narrow and twisted, but paved. Clear Creek Rd. is all dirt, usually hard and dusty. It is wide and rutted with hundreds of paths going off forever in every direction. Coalinga Rd is a good road with nice views and fun to ride. This would be a good place for those wishing to head home to turn left towards Coalinga and HWY 5. If you chose to ride more going right takes you to the old Hernandez road which goes thru some great back country and drops out on HWY 25, not to far below the Pinnicles National Park. This would be a great side track if not pushed for time. You are then about 30 miles below Hollister. Stop at Johnnies Bar and Grill, for good food and a beer. A good days loop over all. Or there is much to see and ride if doing a weekender. So, some one set it up and let's ride. I would do it but, I live in Hollister and most of you are coming from the HWY 5 side. Don't know where it is best for you to meet up. Best for you to pick the spot and date. And I can't make promises because of my health. But, this is perfect for me if it happens. Please include me in any PM about it.
MikeC.
Ok, twist my arm Mike.

I like the idea of staying at Mercy Hot Springs and making it a two day ride.
We can stage from MHS and ride a different loop each day. Mike, since you know the area well, you can layout the tracks, I'll be on my 525 so Clear Creek is a must. Dates and reservations to be determined...
Sometime in March or April is good, eh?
We will need to check with the resort to see what's available.

WHO'S IN?
Perry

Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #141
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Count Me in as long as I don't have anything already planned.
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #142
SCsurfer
surfing explorer

Oddometer: 171
I have wanted to ride the area for some time and would like to join in.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #143
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikengrace View Post
... But I'm not sure of the technical legality of it all. ...
Best for one of us to call San Benito Co Roads and ask; they own a few roads in CCMA. I called a few years ago when the BLM was closing the area and they told me what's quoted below. After the closure went on and locals complained about the impact to them the County took control of their roads and re-opened them. I never heard the specifics... did they re-open all the roads listed below?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP in 2005
So the San Benito County Roads are open, at least until the 28th of June when the board of supervisors will likely take the EPA's request to close them. These include:

R001 New Idria Rd (becomes Clear Creek Rd and connects to Coalinga Rd) - the "Thoroughfare"
Road 001 is a 13 miles long dirt road that extends across the Clear Creek Management Area connecting the Coalinga Road and Idria. The Coalinga Road terminus is at the Raymond Eade Memorial at 698643mE, 4025761mN. The Idria terminus is at 708490mE, 4032497mN. Traveling this road takes you through a 2000 foot elevation change from 2400 feet at the San Benito River to about 4400 feet near Idria Peak; Idria is at 2700 feet. This road closely follows the historic trail that was first established between Idria and Hernandez in the 1850s.

R011 Spanish Lake Rd (connects to New Idria Rd. on the Idria side, near the Aurora Mine and Aurora Cutoff which is not a county road) - the "Main Side Road"
12.2 miles long and a "dirt road" BUT only ~ 6mi are in San Benito - before Santa Rita Pk., then you are tresspassing...

T158 Sawmill Creek Rd (connects to Spanish Lake Rd before Santa Rita Pk.) - the "Unmentioned County Rd"
2.4 miles long and a 4WD trail

R015 KCAC Rd? (its the only paved rd in the whole area so... connects to Sawmill Creek Rd and runs from the Asbestos Ridge Mine to Fawn Springs where it turns into something else, likely not county after that) - the "Big Question Mark"
4.9 miles long and paved
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=25

Depending on the weekend I should be able to go. Feb. 14-17 is already taken...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #144
jwb
Local minimum

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle View Post
Best for one of us to call San Benito Co Roads and ask; they own a few roads in CCMA. I called a few years ago when the BLM was closing the area and they told me what's quoted below. After the closure went on and locals complained about the impact to them the County took control of their roads and re-opened them. I never heard the specifics... did they re-open all the roads listed below?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=25

Depending on the weekend I should be able to go. Feb. 14-17 is already taken...
The language on the sign on New Idria just north of the mine has changed in recent years. It now says this:

It used to say something else. I don't know if it makes any difference. The road is fine for a dual sport. There was a guy fucking around up there on a CBR250 last weekend.
jwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:21 PM   #145
wrk2surf
BITD/Rallye

Oddometer: 5,958
If you want my take on this...this ride should be planned via PM's the area is technically closed. It seems there are many that would use this as ammunition on why to keep it that way. another thought is one or two riders can enjoy the area much more under the radar than a group of ten planning it directly on a public website. I perhaps sometimes ride in technically closed areas but if I do it is under the radar if you get my drift.. good luck and its a beautiful area but remember its slicker than snot when wet in the CC area...
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #146
beezerjoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Clear creek road, Mexican lake road, Wildass road and Sawmill Creek road are the only open routes recognised by the BLM. Lot's of other roads and trails and not much in the way of authority figures right now and the ones that you more than likely won't run into are surprisingly foregiving but don't test that.
Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #147
Mikengrace
Have KLR Go Anywhere

Oddometer: 50
Clear Creek ride

Perry and others interested in the proposed March or April ride. I am in if enough want to go, given the concerns about the legality and other issues. I have not been there in quite awhile, and I agree the current state of rights to ride there are confusing if even known. I have heard time and time again by many people who have ridden there recently, that DS plated bikes are legal on Clear Creek road. This is the main road that goes from New Idria to Coalinga road. It is in fact a county road. Many people are still riding the trails off that road, but as some one said this is mostly one or two riders taking the chance they will not be caught by the one patrol officer for about a third of the state. I'm not suggesting we do that. But it would be an individual decision to do so if someone wanted to. Mercy Hot springs would be a good meeting and starting point. Then just taking the loop too and through New Idria, through Clear Creek on Clear Creek Rd. We could stop at various spots along the way if some wanted to check out off shooting trail, including the one to Mexican Lake. Clear Creek Rd. ends at Coalinga Rd. which is a paved main road. It is a fun road twisty and in a nice area. From there are two options. One goes to Coalinga and HWY 5. The other west to Hernandez Rd. a paved back country road that dumps onto HWY 25. Going north from there takes you past the east entrance to the Pinnacles National Park. to Paicines. This is where Panoche Rd. takes off heading east and back to the Mercy Hot Springs area. That would be my suggestion for a good days DS ride. As one poster pointed out, if the weather is bad Clear Creek can be nasty. Either really slick or frozen, even possible snow. Not impassable if you stay on the main Clear Creek Rd. This loop would probably be somewhere in the 100 - 120 mile range. Give it some thought. Let's see if enough want to go to make it worth while. I'm commented assuming my health holds up.
Mike

Mikengrace screwed with this post 02-06-2014 at 12:31 PM
Mikengrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:25 PM   #148
woodsxr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
March /April sounds good to me other than April 11-13. My wifes birthday weekend. Wouldn't work out well for me if I took off that weekend.
woodsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:26 AM   #149
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf View Post
If you want my take on this...this ride should be planned via PM's the area is technically closed... one or two riders can enjoy the area much more under the radar than a group of ten planning it directly on a public website...
The wisdom of a surfer...

Next Trip: the Nevada-Utah-Arizona 3 step (hoping, DingWeed)...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote