ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #31
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,112
Get the hell outta here? Local dual sporting that's legal? And not one of the 5 roads (Old Coast, Summit, Browns Valley, Hernandez, La Gloria)?

I may or may not make the date, but one way or another, I'm heading out there soon.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #32
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
The weather is looking decent for Friday and Saturday now with
showers expected on Sunday. Might be able to beat any rain
on the ride home Sunday if you get an early enough start.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #33
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Get the hell outta here? Local dual sporting that's legal? And not one of the 5 roads (Old Coast, Summit, Browns Valley, Hernandez, La Gloria)?

I may or may not make the date, but one way or another, I'm heading out there soon.
South Coast, Chews Ridge, Lockwood/San Ardo.

OK 8 roads Hey Curt, whats new, not sure even I can make the 0800 start
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #34
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B

Easy dirt roads but it’s fun. There are some dirt roads around Los Palos and there is Santa FE Grade witch is about 25 miles of the straitist dirt road I have ever seen, lot of bugs though. It begins or ends by Gustine and Los Palos
There are other dirt roads in the valley; you have to explore to find them. They are not much but still fun.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #35
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20pumper
... not sure even I can make the 0800 start
Big Friday nite planned?
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #36
osakibill
'08 KLR-650

Oddometer: 13
No Motorcycles Allowed?

Hi All, Was looking to take this trip and got all excited. I was checking out the BLM site for Tumey Hills and was Gobsmacked to see it closed to "street legal" motorcylcle due to "erosion concerns" Argh! Another road taken from us by the... I won't go there.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...gulations.html

Vehicle Restrictions: Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use is allowed only in the Clear Creek Management Area. The Panoche, Tumey, and Ciervo hills are closed to motorcycles (street legal included) and ATV's because of erosion concerns. There is an emergency vehicle closure in effect for the Joaquin Ridge area - visitors traveling there must leave their vehicles at the gate at Wright Mountain, located at the eastern edge of the Clear Creek Management Area, and then hike the four to five to the Joaquin Rocks.

..... Edit.. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what is up... they may be just talking about off road use only.
osakibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #37
Gester
Master of my domain

Oddometer: 101
Thumb I'm in

A Friday afternoon start with a stay over at the Springs sounds good to me. I'll be loaded up and ready to roll with osakibill and meat popsicle. Let's make it a rolling caravan. I've got rather limited treads on the scoot but I'm up for some exploring and seeing what it, and I, can do.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:03 PM   #38
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by osakibill
Hi All, Was looking to take this trip and got all excited. I was checking out the BLM site for Tumey Hills and was Gobsmacked to see it closed to "street legal" motorcylcle due to "erosion concerns" Argh! Another road taken from us by the... I won't go there.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/holli...gulations.html

Vehicle Restrictions: Off-Highway Vehicle (OHV) use is allowed only in the Clear Creek Management Area. The Panoche, Tumey, and Ciervo hills are closed to motorcycles (street legal included) and ATV's because of erosion concerns. There is an emergency vehicle closure in effect for the Joaquin Ridge area - visitors traveling there must leave their vehicles at the gate at Wright Mountain, located at the eastern edge of the Clear Creek Management Area, and then hike the four to five to the Joaquin Rocks.

..... Edit.. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what is up... they may be just talking about off road use only.
That was last updated over 11 years ago. Clear Creek has been closed to OHV for almost 2 years now. According to the BLM, only street-legal vehicles can enter the Tumey/Panoche Hills areas, and our motorcycles are street legal, so...

WoodsChick

Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #39
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:

Last year I spoke with the resource manager for these sites and he confirmed that the hills are closed to anything without a plate. I told him that some of the signage and instructions are conflicting and he agreed. I know its right there on the website but... the manager says otherwise.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #40
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester
A Friday afternoon start with a stay over at the Springs sounds good to me. I'll be loaded up and ready to roll with osakibill and meat popsicle. Let's make it a rolling caravan. I've got rather limited treads on the scoot but I'm up for some exploring and seeing what it, and I, can do.
I am cleared for takeoff shortly after lunch...
Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 PM   #41
osakibill
'08 KLR-650

Oddometer: 13
Happy to be incorrect!

OK... sounds good to me! Chance to try out some of my new Farkels.

Will be there Friday afternoon. Anybody thought about camping on the BLM lands? Apparently that is fine as long as you are close to the road.
osakibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:06 AM   #42
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,942
confirmed with a ranger... 4x4 only!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
That was last updated over 11 years ago. Clear Creek has been closed to OHV for almost 2 years now. According to the BLM, only street-legal vehicles can enter the Tumey/Panoche Hills areas, and our motorcycles are street legal, so...

WoodsChick
i don't mean to burst anyone's bubbles, but that's what i thought too... until i talked to a BLM ranger coming out of the panoche hills area just over a month ago. the "policy" is all of those lands in that area that are BLM controlled are 4x4 only. no motorcycles, no quads. doesn't matter that your bike is street legal and / or plated, they don't care. not only that, but the ranger(s) who patrol the area will give you a hefty fine if they catch anyone on motorcycles on BLM land.

apparently, in the past few years, there has been a rash of dirtbikes & quads going "off-trail" and ripping up the area, and the BLM is getting harsher on it's penalties because of it. one thing to note... from the same ranger:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM Ranger
"now, if i catch anyone up here, i'm going to write them a hefty ticket, but at the same time i'm not going to put myself in danger chasing some hooligan down just to give them a ticket. if i catch them, i catch them. i'll wait at the exit out if i have to, but i'm not going to endanger myself going after someone."
take that as you will. if you do go riding up there (it was beautiful a few weeks ago, even looking at it from panoche road... we didn't dare try to go in after speaking to the ranger), be safe and be on the lookout for the rangers. don't diverge from the roads, and play dumb if you have to. they will get more angry if you're making trails, or even riding on what you think is a trail. if it doesn't have 4x4 tracks on it, then it's not an official BLM trail. as a heads up, they drive relatively new Jeep Rubicon's.

note: that water crossing on panoche road was about a foot deep, mid feb, looking pretty much the same as it does in that photo posted earlier. it was so much fun that we had to go across multiple times!
Old 03-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #43
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
i don't mean to burst anyone's bubbles, but that's what i thought too... until i talked to a BLM ranger coming out of the panoche hills area just over a month ago. the "policy" is all of those lands in that area that are BLM controlled are 4x4 only. no motorcycles, no quads. doesn't matter that your bike is street legal and / or plated, they don't care. not only that, but the ranger(s) who patrol the area will give you a hefty fine if they catch anyone on motorcycles on BLM land.

I don't know you, so I can't call B.S., and emailed Rick Cooper (BLM) for confirmation on this issue. As I stated above I have been told by the Hollister office any plated vehicle, but so we can move beyond "he said, she said" I'll post up Rick's response when it comes (hopefully before Friday... ).
Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 AM   #44
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:

Will be there Friday afternoon. Anybody thought about camping on the BLM lands? Apparently that is fine as long as you are close to the road.
Mercey Hot Springs is right across the street... literally. It is a funky place with decent rates for the accomodations. The prices have gone up a bit, but not terrible for a night ($30). The only bummer is the hot tubs are now $7/hr, but they are not big communal hot tubs - check them out before you pay.

http://www.merceyhotsprings.com/accom.html
Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #45
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,511
I was checking the Mercey Hot Springs website.

http://www.merceyhotsprings.com/

It looks like the $30/person camping fee includes use of the pool
sauna and tubs in the package.

Each campsite comes with Water, Picnic Bench, Fire Pit (seasonal)
and includes use of Therapeutic Hot Tubs, Sauna & Swimming Pool.
Private Indoor Tubs are $7 additional, per person, per hour.

I'm not sure if any of you are special enough to warrant that "extra"
$7.00/hr for a private indoor tub.

Hopefully they'll have firewood we purchase as its gonna be cold at night.
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote