ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #46
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
i don't mean to burst anyone's bubbles, but that's what i thought too... until i talked to a BLM ranger coming out of the panoche hills area just over a month ago. the "policy" is all of those lands in that area that are BLM controlled are 4x4 only. no motorcycles, no quads. doesn't matter that your bike is street legal and / or plated, they don't care. not only that, but the ranger(s) who patrol the area will give you a hefty fine if they catch anyone on motorcycles on BLM land.
LOL, I’ve seen the signs but I have been going into the Tumey Hills since last fall anyway. Partly because of Meat’s and others posts; I liked getting up on top of the mountain and having lunch.
In 05 they had the dirt portion of Panoche Rd posted for motorcycles. I don’t think it was legal. I mean, I could drive a Simi tractor trailer on the roads but not a licensed MC?
Screw these people
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 10:15 AM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #47
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
I rode panoche rd to 25 from I5 on Friday. Is that the road that is closed? It was beutiful out there, and a great ride.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:05 PM   #48
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_twin
I rode panoche rd to 25 from I5 on Friday. Is that the road that is closed?
No. It is being said that the Tomey Hills are closed. They were on your left as you proceed up Panoche Rd from I5
Untill I'm ready
Old 03-30-2010, 01:28 PM   #49
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
So that would be roads leadikng into Idria? Sorry for all the questions, it is just a place I'd like to explore some more but don't want to pay a fine for doing so.
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #50
Gester
Master of my domain

Oddometer: 101
I'll have a GPS device with me to capture our tracks and will post that up after we get back. I'm not planning to get hit with any fines, so that might limit how far I'm able to go but I'm committed to riding down there and doing some exploring.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:51 PM   #51
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_twin
So that would be roads leadikng into Idria? .
No

You remember the water crossing? And then the road resumed asphalt and you came to an intersection where you went to the right. If you had gone left, you would have gone right into New Idria . Well, in about 20 miles and that is where the road ends as of now. Still, it’s a fun ride

Below is a link to a little piece on New Idria. Interesting stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Idria,_California
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 02:02 PM
Old 03-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #52
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
BLM Rules

I spoke with Rick Cooper, field manager for the BLM Hollister office on the phone. He said he would email me once he spoke with his LEO on a detail, and I will post that when received. But he told me over the phone that any vehicle with a highway license plate may enter Panoche and Tumey Hills (outside of fire season of course) and may use any of their open roads (green lines). Plated motorcycles are allowed to use the open roads, just like every other licensed vehicle.

It should go without saying but here: any driver, either 2 or 4-wheeled, caught by one of their three LEOs anywhere else in their reserves will be ticketed. Roads not marked as open (green lines or signed) are closed and therefore off limits. There has been alot of damage by OHV (probably not just dirt bikes either) over the years and so some of these areas have been closed to all vehicles because of it. So leaving open roads is a good way to get these areas closed for all - a good way to piss off the hunters. You know the people with guns.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 AM   #53
Odin69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Hey guys, I'm going to have to pass on this. I have some family coming to visit from out of town Saturday for Easter so, no riding for me. I'd like to see some pictures if anyone is going to bring a camera?
Odin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 AM   #54
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

(cursing)

I found the message this morning, considered marking it as unread, and reopening it on Sunday... but I can't do that to y'all. I hear the ticket is steep and a ranger would likely write up anyone on a motorcycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLM
Subject: Re: Panoche/Tumey Hills Rules
To: meat popsicle
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 16:16:58 -0700

Mr. Popsicle

Upon review of the 2007 Hollister Resource Management Plan, I must correct my statement to you over the phone. The Panoche and Tumey's are closed to motorcycle travel. This is carryover from the 1984 RMP which closed the area to motorcycle use.

2007 RMP Transportation Decision.

TRANS-COM5. Limit vehicle use in the Panoche/Tumey and Griswold Hills to four-wheel drive street legal vehicles on designated routes from the beginning of upland game season to April 15. Allow foot access all year round.

Please call if you have question. Sorry for the confusion. We will update our signs in the area for the public. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Rick Cooper
Field Manager
Hollister Field Office
20 Hamilton Court
Hollister, CA 95023
phone: (831) 630-5010]
So, that is that - my apologies everyone; but in my defense I was led astray twice by the BLM employees. I may try to fight it, but that won't do anything for this weekend, so:

CHANGE OF PLANS? I have a buddy who still needs an adventure and the next closest place is the Carrizo Plain. Yes, its open to motorcycles.

The Carrizo is south of Coalinga and is more like a 4 hr trip (on the fun roads) to reach it. That means it is more like a two-nighter, or a long day-trip for those a bit closer (Bob :) ). Last time I was there:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=390167
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 AM   #55
Gester
Master of my domain

Oddometer: 101
Bummer!

This is most unfortunate news MP but thanks for following through on that. Better to know now than this weekend when we're out there and getting chased by rangers.

I'm up for a trip to Carrizo Plain. What's another coupla hours on the bike but some more fun? OK, slabbing it isn't as fun as offroad but riding is riding in my book. I'm still in!
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 AM   #56
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,487
I've never been down there - what route do you suggest?

25/198 to Coalinga then 33/58 to Carrizo???

Is there a campground we can meet up at?
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #57
osakibill
'08 KLR-650

Oddometer: 13
I'm up to it. If we have to do two nights... that is fine too. Gester is helping me out with gear... Thanks!
osakibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #58
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
When we have gone it was 25/198 to Coalinga for gas then back to Parkfield Grade down to 46 and take Davis Rd. to Bitterwater Rd and finally Soda lake.
(note the names of some of these roads are different on different versions of Mapsource??)
I don't think I'm going to be able to make it.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #59
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Here is the Google autoroute:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...74&ie=UTF8&z=7

but the interesting route is:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...47&ie=UTF8&z=7

These directions are to Taft, which is about 1hr beyond where we would be going in the Carrizo Plain
Old 03-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #60
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,424
Definitely delete the first route!
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote