ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 PM   #61
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I found the message this morning, considered marking it as unread, and reopening it on Sunday... but I can't do that to y'all. I hear the ticket is steep and a ranger would likely write up anyone on a motorcycle.

So, that is that - my apologies everyone; but in my defense I was led astray twice by the BLM employees. I may try to fight it, but that won't do anything for this weekend, so:
FUCK! Not only did we find out for sure, but now they're gonna post it.

Well I hope y'all have a good ride no matter where you go. There's some fun routes down to the Carrizo that don't include slab if you look. Some easy dirt to mix in as well.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #62
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
Where exactly are we going to meet up down there?

I Googled California Valley to Carrizo Plains NM and
got this for directions.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.424347&z=11

I found this on the BLM site:

How to get here.
A word of warning. Do not rely on Google Maps, MapQuest or the mapping software in your car GPS to get you here. YOU WILL BE LED ASTRAY. Please follow the recommended routes below. Continuing rain this season (2009-2010) has left many roads impassible even for four wheel drive vehicles. Although the roads have begun to dry out there are gullies and washes that make roads impassable for low clearance vehicles.
Currently Soda Lake Road, which bisects the 37 mile length Carrizo Plain National Monument, is the only reliable road. About 18 miles of Soda Lake Road's length is paved, the remainder is dirt.

The Carrizo Plain National Monument has two improved campgrounds, the KCL and the Selby. Camping is on a first come, first served basis and no reservations are required or taken. (Note: Groups of 20 or more must obtain authorization from the Bakersfield BLM office as well as groups that are charging a fee. Please contact Ryan Cooper at 661-391-6048 for authorization or information). Both campgrounds are primitive, containing picnic tables, fire pits and portable restroom facilities. Electricity and drinking water are not available. The CPNM does not have garbage pickup service. Please act responsibly and pack out any refuse you might have. Hunters, please do not leave gut piles or other animal parts in the campgrounds.
At certain times of the year, campfire permits are required and special fire restrictions may be in effect. Contact the BLM office for an update on current restrictions. There is no fee for campfire permits and they may be obtained at the Goodwin Education Center, the Bakersfield BLM office and from any BLM Ranger in the area.
The KCL Campground has 12 campsites (two of which are elevated American Disability Act compliant) with picnic tables, fire pits and portable restroom facilities. It has some of the few shade trees found on the CPNM. Formerly owned by the Kern County Land Company, the KCL still has a few of the original barn structures as well as some of the corrals. Some of these structures are in disrepair; please be careful if you go exploring inside. You may use the corrals for your horses and there is generally enough space in the campground to park horse trailers. There is water available for livestock use only.
KCL Campground is located just west of Soda Lake Road, 10.4 miles south of Goodwin Education Center, and 19 miles north of State Highway 166 at: N 35° 5' 26.1", W 119° 44' 5.59" (35.090583, -119.734886).
The Selby Campground has 13 campsites, picnic tables, fire pits and portable restroom facilities. It is nestled at the base of the Caliente Mountains. There are no shade trees but this campground is more secluded and the camper is only steps away from unlimited hiking in the Wilderness Study Area that lies outside the campground boundaries. The oak/juniper woodland is a haven for many birds and other wildlife and the beautiful Selby Rocks are a site not to be missed. (You may explore around the rocks but please do not climb on the fragile sandstone. Watch out for natural dangers such as rattlesnakes.) Water for non-potable use only is available.
Selby Campground is located 4.5 miles south of Soda Lake Road at the end of Selby Road. From the Goodwin Education Center travel .8 miles southeast of the Ed Center road on Soda Lake Road turn right (south) on Selby Road. From State Highway 166 travel north 28.8 miles on Soda Lake Road to Selby Road. The campground is located at: N 35° 7' 41.29", W 119° 50' 27.26" (35.128135, -119.840907).
Car camping is also an option within certain areas of the Carrizo Plain National Monument. Please refer to the Visitor Resources Map . This map indicates areas where car camping is allowed. Generally, car camping is permitted in the foothills and mountainous areas. Car camping is not permitted in the valleys (both Carrizo and Elkhorn), nor at Soda Lake and adjacent areas. This map is available at the Goodwin Education Center and the BLM Bakersfield Office for purchase and is posted in kiosks located at the North and South entrances into the Monument.

scottmac screwed with this post 03-31-2010 at 03:21 PM
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:20 PM   #63
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 840
Scouting report ...?

Hi MP and all,

Wow, super sorry to see the "clarification" from the BLM!

We spent parts of four days in Panoche and Tumey Hills this weekend and Monday, with the Carrizo Plain in between ... I've posted some pics under the West forum in the Bay Area Adventure Riders Club thread, but here is one from Panoche Hills:

The area is unlocked right now because there is a heard of 5000 sheep being grazed there, so the gates to the east of Panoche Hills [along the valley floor] were all unlocked to give the sheppards access ... they had camper trailers and were getting around on quads ... nice people, only speak spanish, from Peru.

Both Panoche and Tumey were clean, and we saw no evidence of them being torn up by 4x4s or motorcycles, and saw no motorcycles while we were there. Did not see a ranger, either, so we were lucky, I suppose.

If it's any consolation, the owner of Mercy Hot Springs told us that the BLM is going to permanently lock the gates to Panoche, at least, because the BLM is tired of cleaning up after the people who use the area as a shooting range [there was a TON of people shooting in Panoche on Saturday and Sunday]. Larry, the owner of the Panoche Inn also said that it is the shooters that leave the place a mess, though it's clean right now, and it was clean of shooting garbage when we were there on Monday afternoon ...

A grading crew was just finishing a big-buck project of grading the road to the UHV [?] station ...

You could always say you were going to visit the sheppards ... you should see the mess the sheep leave ... ever hear of a "sheep desert?" Ha.

Anyway, the Carrizo Plain was wonderful, if you all are thinking of going there instead ...

Oh well ... we still have Mendocino NF and DV ... and Nevada, and Baja ... Bay Area, indeed. Bah.

Locked gates suck ...

-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #64
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
I've riden my bike on ranch roads from the Hollister area to Panoche and then to Mercey. It was a nice ride. If anyone wants the route, here it is.

[IMG]
View Larger Map[/IMG]

Here's a link to a REALLY great geocache in the Tumey hills area. I think it was a dirt road, IIRC but it's legal.

LINK
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:58 PM   #65
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20pumper
Definitely delete the first route!

Hey Bob, sorry the hills didn't work out (I'll protest to the bureau, but... ), and I am sorry you can't make it down to the Carrizo. Improved the route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...76&ie=UTF8&z=8

OK, the itinerary will likely be:

FRIDAY:
Leave San Jose after lunch on Friday
Get (early?) dinner at the Parkfield Cafe (now called the V6 Grill?)
Ride to the Carrizo Plain's KCL Campground
Setup camp and enjoy...

SATURDAY:
Explore the Carrizo!

Please review this website:
http://homepage.mac.com/wbunning/carrizods/carrizo.html
Lunch in gorgeous downtown Taft?
Pickup stuff for Saturday's dinner?
Enjoy camp...

Head home SUNDAY on some variant of the route down.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:09 PM   #66
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

KLC campground it is then! I hope to be down there by mid afternoon
on Friday and will grab us a spot. Then head over to Taft to top off
on gas and get some food and a bundle of firewood. It's gonna
be cold at night down there.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:30 PM   #67
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,399
That is horseshit being able to allow cars and 4x4's but not bikes.. let alone allowing the shepards to use OHV's to go anywhere. I would like to see the decision saying only 4 wheel vehicles.. maybe I will borrow my friends licenced quad or side by side and cruise around to see what the hell the blm said about that. Meat please have him forward the decision or direct us to it online if he can. This is discrimation.. and ridiculous
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM   #68
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

PS Rick Cooper is the one that is responible (when it was open and he has since closed) for clear creek fees..

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-12412.htm

I would not trust him as far as I could throw him and im sure hes fat..
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #69
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,522
Hey David, the route is getting better! FYI for all those poor guys not riding a Camel, gas will be a problem. There is no gas between Hollister/Tres Pinos and Coalinga (100 miles) then none till, well way down there without a detour.

The website you referenced is from our very own Dyvking give him a holler if you need any more info.

Wrk lets just say I hate almost everything BLM stands for and most but not all of their employees.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #70
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

wrk2surf,

I feel your pain. I don't think that conclusion is defensible either; so do 2wd vehicles get tickets? And are we all to assume "4x4 only" means no motorcycles? Anyone think I'll get the basis (justification) for that decision? I know, erosion concerns... tell that to the sheep! Last year I ran into the new fire marshall in Tumey. I mentioned it was about to close to vehicles because of fire season and he said, "well, there's no fuels anyways" ... yeah, sheep.

And now I hear its the target practice folks that are making the messes; no OHV damaged noted during a thorough examination last weekend...

h20pumper,

there are quite a few good people working for the BLM, but I guess there are a few bad eggs, just like everywhere else.

Thanks for the fuel note; folks, these are lonely parts of the State. These roads are so lonely that I have had to grit my teeth and blow past dirt roads headed into the hills off the tarmac because I know it's private.

So we should do a bit of planning: fuel ranges folks?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:49 PM   #71
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Fuel:

Here's the numbers from Google:

Hollister to Coalinga: 96.9 miles

Coalinga to Parkfield (no gas): 28.8 miles

Parkfield to California Valley (no gas): 65.6 miles

California Valley to Taft (gas): 44.3 miles

So actually two major stetches between fillups, 96.9 miles
and 138.7 miles

I've got a Safari tank and can get around 210 miles per GPS odometer.
I'll fill up in Taft Friday and should be good for the ride back to Coalinga if
we hit Taft again and fill up Saturday afternoon.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #72
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

back out panoche at I-5 there are stations

and If he could I would like to see the wording that states specific rules on legal travel ON road.. with a DMV certified street motorcycle..
Old 04-01-2010, 11:11 AM   #73
osakibill
'08 KLR-650

Oddometer: 13
How to fight back on road closures

Hi Guys,

I donate to the "Blue Ribbon Coalition" it is an organization that fights for open access to all recreation. Please check them out. They can be very helpfull in giving guidance in situations like this about how to deal with and approch the various agencies involved.

Bill

http://www.sharetrails.org/
osakibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #74
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
I found the message this morning, considered marking it as unread, and reopening it on Sunday... but I can't do that to y'all. I hear the ticket is steep and a ranger would likely write up anyone on a motorcycle.

So, that is that - my apologies everyone; but in my defense I was led astray twice by the BLM employees. I may try to fight it, but that won't do anything for this weekend, so
i'm sorry you ran into the roadblock of BLM jurisdiction - and also sorry if i came off as a jerk... i'm just another local adventure rider, trying to share experiences to help others on their way - hoping to save you the heartache of planning a whole trip that would have the possibility of getting you in trouble.

i had spent hours and hours mapping out paths on google earth and had pages of printouts from BLM maps, to tracks... ready to go into panoche / tumey hills and explore... only to "happen" upon a BLM guy at the gate and be told that all my plans had to be scrapped. needless to say, i felt a bit of the same at the time...

i hope that your new plans work out for the better, and that at some point the BLM can get their act together and stop giving out mis-information.

ride safe!
Old 04-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #75
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

no worries kaia after being told twice by the BLM that motorcycles were fine I was not ready to be told otherwise - not even by the BLM. Sorry to hear your trip was shot down in progress...

wrk2surf, I only have what he put in that email. I will look into this later; right now I am trying to plan for a trip... tomorrow - R U coming!?!

scottmac, thanks for the research - I can get your kind of mileage too. What about the rest who are coming?