ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #76
Gester
Master of my domain

Oddometer: 101
Mileage

I can get a little over 200 but I'm usually too nervous to push it much beyond 190.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM   #77
osakibill
'08 KLR-650

Oddometer: 13
I'll get about 215 before going to reserve on my KLR.
osakibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #78
osakibill
'08 KLR-650

Oddometer: 13
But my butt will give out long before that!
osakibill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #79
SFMCjohn

Oddometer: 823
Carrizo Plain scouting report ...

Quote:
Continuing rain this season (2009-2010) has left many roads impassible even for four wheel drive vehicles. Although the roads have begun to dry out there are gullies and washes that make roads impassable for low clearance vehicles.
Currently Soda Lake Road, which bisects the 37 mile length Carrizo Plain National Monument, is the only reliable road. About 18 miles of Soda Lake Road's length is paved, the remainder is dirt.
Hi all,

Can't make this one, have to be umbrella boy at a track day on Easter ...

We spent this past Sunday and Monday in the Carrizo Plain ...

Pipeline Road had a "road closed" sign, and the area above Selby was still behind a locked gate ... Elkhorn Pass, Elkhorn Road, Paridise Road, Hurricane Road, and the ridge roads north of Hurricane Road are all dry and in fine shape for bikes ... lots of wildflowers, too. Soda Lake Road is, of course, dry and fast. We maybe saw two puddles north of Hurricane Road, but easily rode around them. So we probably could have done everything on Gripsters [we were on loaded KLRs with 606s].

From the ridge north of Hurricane the gate near the northernmost microwave tower was locked, as were all the gates leading towards 58 [which I suppose is usually the case ... we were trying to get to Taft that way but had to backtrack to Hurricane]. We could not find the road that is supposed to go up from Elkhorn Road to the ridge north of Hurricane from either the ridge or the valley ... seems to be one on the map ...?

We got gas at the cafe near The Place after 12 noon on Monday, and took the Quatal Canyon Road [dirt and dry w/ big vados] up to Cerro Noroeste back to Carrizo ...

KLC should be a good meet-up point ... we found Selby too buggy to stay at ... so we left and took advantage of the car camping areas in the foothills above Elkhorn Road ... no flying bugs at either of our "car" camps ...

There was gas in Taft and Maricopa, of course ...

A lot of rain may change things, but it would take a lot ... a bit will keep the dust down and prolong the wildflowers ... you all should enjoy great conditions!

OK, wish I were going with you ... see you soon,
--SFMCjohn

PS: here is a pic we took from our campsite above Soda Lake to whet your appitites ... have fun!

IBA#'98onaEX500
SFMCjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #80
WoodsChick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrk2surf
PS Rick Cooper is the one that is responible (when it was open and he has since closed) for clear creek fees..

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2007/E7-12412.htm

I would not trust him as far as I could throw him and im sure hes fat..
Yes, the same guy that enacted fees to enter Clear Creek...less than one year before closing it...then spent zillions of tax-payer dollars building a decontamination station that, if he has his way, no one will ever use

The soulless bastard isn't fat. This is the guy right here...

The BLM brought this guy to the Hollister Field Office and he's already managed to close 2 legal riding areas, Kettleman Hills and Clear Creek, and it looks like he will be at the helm when street-legal motorcycles are officially booted out of Tumey/Panoche as well. This is also the guy that we will expect to go to bat for us when the busybodies at PEER decide to cut their losses at Carnegie and go after Hollister instead. He is bad news.

I have a really hard time believing that street-legal motorcycles can be legally banned from entering public lands, especially on the grounds that BLM is of the opinion that dirtbikes are tearing up the land. I just don't think this can be right. This might be a good time for the AMA to prove they are anything other than useless by stepping in to right an egregious wrong and end the discrimination. I will not be holding my breath.

ReallyAngryChick

Old 04-01-2010, 05:05 PM   #81
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,222
Meat I cant make ..I was gonna ride from my house and do a big day out tumey way to meet you guys but my wife took off to Austrailia and now have a 14yr old home on spring break.. sorry

Michael
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:22 PM   #82
Gester
Master of my domain

Oddometer: 101
Thumb Ride On Brudda!

SFMCjohn, thanks for the up-to-date info and inspiring photo! Consider my appetite duly whetted. In fact, it's soaked right now. Can't wait to check out the Plain. Hopefully I'll have some tasty pics of my own to post when we get back.
Gester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:11 PM   #83
SFMCjohn

Panoche closure ... ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gester
SFMCjohn, thanks for the up-to-date info and inspiring photo! Consider my appetite duly whetted. In fact, it's soaked right now. Can't wait to check out the Plain. Hopefully I'll have some tasty pics of my own to post when we get back.
Thanks Gester! Looking forward to seeing your pics ... thinking about trying to get down to Carrizo on 4/10 for the Place's monthly BBQ ...

Woodschick: Thanks for the photo/info on Rick Cooper ... I've been poking around the Blue Ribbon Coalition and BLM's websites, and may e-mail some polititian for an explanation ... talk about not holding your breath, ha!

Anyway, I'm thinking about the rumor that they are simply locking the gate as an excuse to get back out there this year ... if I get seen by the BLM guy I'll just say that I heard at Mercy that they were going to lock Panoche permanenty, by bilding a much bigger gate and fence due to the ongoing trash problem ... that I just wanted 'one last look', happy childhood memories, etc., sniff, sniff, weep.

I'm thinking that it would be hard for them to give me a ticked for "tearing up" an area that they are going to close permanently anyway ... ? Especially with my grey hair and staid KLR, if I stay on the established roads, which I do anyway ... Or that they'd be interested anymore in sending a message by giving a ticket, if they're simply locking it up for all vehicles soon?

Oh, the BLM grants grazing rights permits that last 10 years ... another thought was to contact the company that is running the sheep there now ... offer to bring their employees care packages of cookies, etc, during their two week stint ...

There are other permits on the BLM website, one of which is a "recreation permit" for a non-profit event for over 75 people ... the local BLM office has to respond in 48 hours or the permit is deemed granted ... this is a new permit, I'm sure it costs $$, but it was developed in response to a feeling that the recreational permit process had to be more transparent ... The FAQ on the permit makes interesting reading ... the local office has to give a reason in writing if it denies the permit and the "presumption" is that such permits should be granted ...

Anyway, sorry ... blah, blah ...

Maybe I can get a grazing permit for one sheep next year ...? It would cost $1.35, IIRC ... Ha. :-)

See you out there,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 04-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #84
SFMCjohn

Link to pics of Panoche/Tumey Hills ...

Here is a link to my pal Kalle's pics from our recent expedition ... they give an idea of what the areas are like that the BLM wants to lock to all vehicles ...

Sorry about the link, I'm an ADV pic doofus ... there are a bunch of pics of Carrizo in the middle, too ...

http://kalle.com/photo_album/Bike_Ri...2010/index.htm

See you out there,
-- SFMCjohn
IBA#'98onaEX500
Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #85
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsChick
I have a really hard time believing that street-legal motorcycles can be legally banned from entering public lands,
ReallyAngryChick
Me too, I don’t think it is legal. Government keeps pushing the envelop of its power though. It takes litigation to stop them.

I see I need to make the ride to the Carrizo Plain. It looks to me like I could do this loop in a day but it would be a very long day for me.

Car camping, what is that? Could I pitch a tent? If I came into a campground late, there should not be a problem with me sleeping on a picnic table?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #86
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,147
sorry to hear you can't make it Michael - 2-up is probably not a good idea eh?

john, thanks for the report and photos; I've altered our route for speed and refueling already:

Google Map

After Parkfield I put us on the speed route to the valley that will run us through McKittrick, but we may have to duck to Taft for fuel, then back to Hurricane Rd and across the plain (on map) or just thru Maricopa and up the hill (33) for the south entrance to the Plain. Can we cross the middle of the valley or too wet?

scottmac, we may be in late on Friday; can't leave SJ before noon I fear. Should be there before 9pm... PM me if you want contact info.

some talk of local fuel and food here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...71#post7933871

meat popsicle screwed with this post 04-01-2010 at 06:54 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #87
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat
I see I need to make the ride to the Carrizo Plain. It looks to me like I could do this loop in a day but it would be a very long day for me.

Car camping, what is that? Could I pitch a tent? If I came into a campground late, there should not be a problem with me sleeping on a picnic table?
There are picnic tables at KCL.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 AM   #88
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
There are picnic tables at KCL.
Oh, what I am really asking is, how controlled is this area? But it doesn’t matter I need to go down and look at it.
I like the route down and I can loop west of 101 on the way back perhaps.
Anyway, later this month for me; you guys have fun
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #89
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
Quote:
Oh, what I am really asking is, how controlled is this area? But it doesn’t matter I need to go down and look at it.
I like the route down and I can loop west of 101 on the way back perhaps.
Anyway, later this month for me; you guys have fun
Take a look at that campsite on Google Earth. It's pretty darn remote!
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #90
meat popsicle OP
Ignostic

Quote:
Oh, what I am really asking is, how controlled is this area? But ...
Remote, and open: there are no fees for camping.

Gathering my crap; loading up; getting ready...