User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #1
Dkizerian OP
Honky Lips

Oddometer: 79
Help when looking at bikes

I've got the go ahead to look for a project bike, and I think one of the R bikes will suit my needs/wants perfectly.

There are three locally right now, and I'm wondering if there are any tips you can share when looking at these bikes.

1. 1979 r100/7 looks good, owner says bike has about 100k on it, but engine rebuilt last winter $2900

2. 1979 r65 clean, 44k miles, looks clean $2900

3. 1975 r90/6 super clean, has hard bags, large tank, and is clean. ~50k miles. $4100. Price seems very high.

Looking for any advise, peculiar weaknesses of any of the above years/models Or links to other threads that might help. I searched, but just got lost in thousands of posts...

Thanks
Dk
Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:39 PM   #2
Big Bamboo
Aircooled & Sunbaked

Oddometer: 2,876
Do you ride two up or heavily loaded? If so, the R65 may not be for you. It's a fun bike, otherwise. The biggest difference between the other two is; points for the R90/6 and electronic ignition on the R100/7. In 1981 BMW made major changes to the suspension, brakes and driveline, but the '79 could be considered the best of the twin shock Airheads. The R100 will pull anything you throw at it. They all sound overpriced to me, but the R90 is WAY overpriced, unless it's a pristine example. At 100,000 miles the R100 will be most likely be needing transmission and rear end work, if it hasn't been done already. Check the rear wheel splines !

Big Bamboo screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 11:45 PM
Big Bamboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:34 AM   #3
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,029
'79 R100/7 is still points.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:41 AM   #4
SculptD
Smells like tech

Oddometer: 388
Prices for these have been rising faster than most of us are comfortable with, so $4100 may not be so very high if that one is really in good condition.

Get used to it folks, it's going to get higher still!

But, you seem to be searching for "clean". What sort of "project" do you have in mind? I would think you would not want to pay for "clean".
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM   #5
Beemeup
1978 R/100/7

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkizerian View Post
I've got the go ahead to look for a project bike, and I think one of the R bikes will suit my needs/wants perfectly.

There are three locally right now, and I'm wondering if there are any tips you can share when looking at these bikes.

1. 1979 r100/7 looks good, owner says bike has about 100k on it, but engine rebuilt last winter $2900

2. 1979 r65 clean, 44k miles, looks clean $2900

3. 1975 r90/6 super clean, has hard bags, large tank, and is clean. ~50k miles. $4100. Price seems very high.

Looking for any advise, peculiar weaknesses of any of the above years/models Or links to other threads that might help. I searched, but just got lost in thousands of posts...

Thanks
Dk
You mentioned a project bike, I don't know about the price of the 90/6 but you'd be paying for a restored bike. 50k is low mileage, someone didn't ride it.

The R65 is small and you'll be ringing the snot out of it unless you like poking along solo.

The R100/7 has a rebuilt engine at 100k? Something went wrong, I'd be leery of that one. It may be OK, depending on who did what to the motor.
Beemeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #6
Dkizerian OP
Honky Lips

Oddometer: 79
Unfortunately I've been watching all summer, and $3000 is pretty much the price for R's in running condition here.... And there just haven't been that many.

The r90 is priced high

The r100 may not have had a full engine rebuild, I'll get details today I hope.

I don't ever see this bike being ridden 2up, or loaded beyond tools, rain gear, an extra layer, and lunch.

I'm mostly looking for a bike that needs some basic maintenance, and some minor fixing, not a basket case.
Dkizerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #7
OLD GREEN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Easy, go with the R90, they are the best. But seriously, prices have been going up and $4,000 for a clean low mile bike is not that far out of line, at least not around here.

Depending on the level of project you are looking for I am of the opinion that it is always best to start with the cleanest bike that you can find at a reasonable price point. Especially if you can find an original owner that can give you an honest history of the bike.

It is very easy to make a thousand dollars disappear while sorting out a ratty old bike.
Old Today, 05:14 AM   #8
extheflow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD GREEN View Post
Easy, go with the R90, they are the best. But seriously, prices have been going up and $4,000 for a clean low mile bike is not that far out of line, at least not around here.

Depending on the level of project you are looking for I am of the opinion that it is always best to start with the cleanest bike that you can find at a reasonable price point. Especially if you can find an original owner that can give you an honest history of the bike.

It is very easy to make a couple thousand dollars disappear while sorting out a ratty old bike.
fixt

I'de like to add...tires and battery are the 2 things that are almost guaranteed to be needed. That's 600 right there.
extheflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #9
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 443
R65

Go with the R65 - fun bike nimbler than other's listed but $1500 is top $$ to pay!!!
Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:34 AM   #10
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,664
Some random thoughts in no particular order...

R65: Kind of a mongrel boxer, niche appeal, limited parts interchangeable, etc. Some folks love 'em but I just never caught the appeal, and I love R50's and R60's. You asked for "opinions".

'79 R100/7: Might be worth a good look. I'd be concerned about details of the motor build, proofs and etc. Anecdotal nightmare; buddy spent $3k on motor work and the bike never really ran correctly, burnt way too much oil and etc. I tear into it and discover he'd only gotten about 1/3 of the work he'd paid for. I set it straight and it went another trouble free 125k miles. But if I wasn't his buddy?

'75 R90/6: If it really is a low-mile, original bike in excellent mechanical and cosmetic condition, it'd be worth every last cent of his asking price, imho. Original, unmolested examples of these fine bikes are becoming harder to find with each passing year. Increasingly so with the advent of café and bobber mania sweeping the shores. You know who you are.

imho, When buying older bikes it's pretty much a given that the best deal is the finest original example you can find, provided the cost isn't out of line. Buying a cheap beater with a bedliner paint job and sawed-off JC Whitney mufflers might seem like a good idea in the short term. But the day might come when you realize it'll cost you $5k or $6k to build it into a decent $3k motorcycle.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote