Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2014, 02:49 PM   #1636
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post

Registered, fired up and took this lil' number for a 30 mile shakedown today.
overall rating = 92
What a sweet bike!
Does your /2 feel more advanced? I'd guess it would soak up bumps better, suspension-wise, and the motor feels pretty much the same? I've never ridden a plunger BMW.
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:01 PM   #1637
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,339

The bike acted properly, with few exceptions.
The odometer ain't workin'. VERY handy when advertising a 33K bike!
The speedometer DOES work... shows I'm goin' 80 when I'm doin' 45....
According to the Manual it's not the right speedo in there, the ratio is wrong.
The foot controls are teeny.
The rear seal for the kickstarter is leaking. But nothing else. Yet.
The "plunger" suspension is an eye opener. The spring in the seat is an important dampener!
You can start the bike with your hand depressing the kicker.
It needed new sparkplugs...
The tranny shifted well (but slow) and we sailed out Salt Point Speedway with the best of them.

Cool Beans!
danedg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #1638
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,037

good to hear you're getting some time in the saddle
Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 AM   #1639
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Glad someone is getting out - will be awhile around here - I'm not sure I can negotiate what is left of the roads on the Alpina even.
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:25 AM   #1640
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

I feel your pain...

We've had 2 days above 50d here since last October. Winter SUCKED!
I'm glad to posting pictures of something besides ICEBOATS!!!!

Dropped all the oils after yesterdays' Maiden Voyage and was pleasantly surprised to find everything in good order. (No chunks or frass!) The suspension is "horse n buggy".
Kinda like a "buckboard"!
Thank the lord for that big ol' spring under the seat. !

The speedometer is wonky, and the charging circuit needs a looksee. The seal for the kixtarter shaft is weepy.
Overall... I'm very pleased.

danedg screwed with this post 04-04-2014 at 11:05 AM
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 AM   #1641
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Looks just beautiful from here
Old 04-05-2014, 12:44 PM   #1642
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

A Regulator Question

I'm not sure what I'm seein' here...

This is for all you 6V magneto geeks...

The bike starts well. After a little warmup she settles into a decent idle. 700 -1000 rpm.
The generator light shows full red and I get 2? volts on the meter. (The regulator is cut out)
Increasing the rpm to "midrange" (no tach), the light fades out and I'm reading 6 -7V on the meter. Perfect. (The regulator cuts in and I'm sending voltage to the battery)
Increasing the rpms to "hi range" and the light reappears and I get almost 8+ volts showing on the meter...( The regulator cuts "back out" ? at the higher voltage?)

The question being, does the regulator cut back out at higher voltage as it does on lower voltage?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:59 PM   #1643
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705
This is just a semi-educated guess...but if you are seeing 7-8v at full rpm, you are surely charging, so the regulator is not "cutting out", but it isn't really regulating either. The role of the regulator is to feed current to the generator field, causing it to charge as much as possible, at the lowest revs possible. But conversely, it should be tapering off the current feed at higher rpms....which it sounds as though it may not be doing.

The potential problem might be in riding long periods of time at high charging rates, and over-charging the battery. Old liquid batteries would boil off the liquid (water) and would then need to be topped off. Newer AGM batteries are more resistant to that abuse, but not immune.

I say ride it, and monitor battery... VR could be faulty, could fix itself with some additional use (it's a simple mechanical relay inside), or...??

Old 04-06-2014, 06:40 AM   #1644
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Zank You Doctor...

[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see, the regulator could very well be 60 years old. As is the coil, points setup, condenser. The battery is brand new. I checked the brushes and they've got plenty of meat and they're sliding nicely. Commutator is shiny and not excessively worn. In NY it's the LAW to ride with your lights on, so I'm loading it all up. It just seemed strange that the indicator would reappear at high rpms. My previous experience was that the gen lite would remain constant on if the Regulator was bad. This one appears to only be "half" bad, thus my confusedness...I went so far as to gently refresh the points to see that they were making good contact but it didn't seem to make a difference.
Due to the rare antiquity of the thing, I foresee a new electronic VR in my future..as well as a Pentacom points plate, anew condenser and I've got a fresh coil stashed just for this occasion.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #1645
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

ReCoiling

So while I'm pokin' at the regulator I can't help but notice the coil and some other stuff...

That is the brownest cloth coil I've ever seen. That condenser looks ancient...wire soldered to the top, and the hot wire to the coil sure looks fuzzy...the spark leads on the coil haven't moved since Sputnik and what the Hell is going on with the outside posts???
Since I can't get to the hold down screw on the port side of the coil it seems logical to pull the whole ignition block. It's only two bolts and I have access to the whole artifact.

Best move all day...
There were several heirolglyphs from previous alignments but I did reset the magneto alignment marks to TDC earlier. I decided to add a daub of white paint to the housing and rescribe the mark for reassembly.

Et Voila!
I has ze sparker in my hand for some much needed TLC.
I can reach all those connections and teeny screws without jamming my head between the fender and frame and crouching on my knees for the next 2 hours!

Comparing the Emerald City replacement with the OEM? unit .

I ended up having to clamp the whole unit in the vise and laying into the hold down screw to get it to pop. It would have been misery trying to do this on the bike

The condenser was stamped on the bottom... "Made In W Germany"

All the parts fit nicely. The new coil has the extra ground wire, and that's a brand new condenser from a 1973 Ford Torino. I cleaned and regreased the felt pad.

Now refit the whole unit back over the magneto, align the timing mark and hook up the two sparkers and the ground.
Reinstall the advance mechanism.

Before placing the Advance I shmear the nose with cam grease. It provides a small but important cushion for the advance mechanism to "even out" all the rotational forces that happen. It's an prime tool to reduce "differential" timing. A Little Dab'l Do Ya. I have a lifetime supply!

So I'm still wrestling with the fact that I'm now compromising the originality of these pieces, just to make the damn thing run! I mean, what could be wrong with this?

danedg screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 09:08 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 AM   #1646
Beamer Bum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
That brown is just the patina of 60 year old varnish. But that emerald coil will make a HUGE difference. Especially after a 2 or 3 hour ride when the weather gets hot.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:17 AM   #1647
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

That already happened

My first toodle on the thing wasn't all roses and cute fuzzy things. After stopping at the cemetery for some glam shots, it wouldn't start. I had to pop it. A sure sign of wonky coil.
After replacing the aforementioned parts, she fired RIGHT up, with a robust puff of smoke!
I'm guessing the plug(s) are finally firing as they should, and blew some crap out of the combustion chamber.
It sounded strong.

danedg screwed with this post 04-07-2014 at 05:29 AM
Old 04-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #1648
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

I too wrestle with every little piece I swap out on old machines to make them more reliable - but then that feeling goes away when I go for a ride (or watch that clip you posted ) - at least until the next upgrade.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #1649
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705
Ahh.. nice. Old electrical stuff is interesting to look at and to admire, but.....

Seeing your pics of your regulator: that looks like the kind that simply uses voltage to pull down a contact. Meaning that the regulator is either ON or OFF, and once it senses a pretty-well-charged system, it starts to cycle. THAT may be your problem with the idiot-light-at-high-rpm: it is buzzing on/off so fast that it cannot charge.

You can play with it by mechanically holding that relay either open or shut, and see what you "learn".....

Love that bike, man, that's gonna be a load of fun (and experiences!)

Old 04-07-2014, 08:48 AM   #1650
jas67
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 761
I'd be inclined to retrofit a modern solid-state regulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Ahh.. nice. Old electrical stuff is interesting to look at and to admire, but.....

Seeing your pics of your regulator: that looks like the kind that simply uses voltage to pull down a contact. Meaning that the regulator is either ON or OFF, and once it senses a pretty-well-charged system, it starts to cycle. THAT may be your problem with the idiot-light-at-high-rpm: it is buzzing on/off so fast that it cannot charge.

You can play with it by mechanically holding that relay either open or shut, and see what you "learn".....

Love that bike, man, that's gonna be a load of fun (and experiences!)

Honda: 01 VFR800, 93 VFR400R(NC30), plus many vintage Hondas.
Scooters: 2007 Vespa GTS250ie, 2009 Kymco Agility 125
jas67 is online now   Reply With Quote