Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 AM   #226
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post

So I was telling that other guy about oilflow and I remembers this...

One of the biggest advantages of increased capacity that is rarely mentioned is the fact that with increased capacity, the oil goes through the pump less often. The pump itself heats the oil considerably! Many a tuner has got more power to the ground AND decreased oil temps by downsizing the oil pump. I have worked on one such airhead.

Lowering the sump level away from the crank is often a good thing when you have the room but don't forget that these engines are plain bearing engines. There are VOLUMES of oil squirting out of those rod and crank bearings like putting your finger over the end of a garden hose. All that oil squirting out becomes a big blob of oil that hangs around the spinning crank and rods and actually pulsates and moves around. ALL the while this blob is loosing as much oil as what is going into it from all the oil squirting out of the plain bearings. ALL that oil is up there and ALL around your crank breather until your sump level gets down below the oil pickup. I don't recommend lowering your sump's oil level that far! Your right rod big end is sure to go first and

Huh?

I was kinda following you for a bit there.
The oil goes through the bearings and into the slingers and then gets "slunged".

if you put too much oil in, the motor will eventually purge out what it doesn't want through the breather or elsewhere.

Are you recommending a deep sump or what? I'm confused.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:04 AM   #227
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,146
That quote was from another discussion somewhere about the advantages of a deep oil sump. I liked the description of the blob of oil that's created by the crank whipping through the sump....
A bunch of it is pumped here and there, but it's also splashed over everything, too...
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #228
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

my bad

the rod ends do not wantonly splash through the sump, there is a screen there...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #229
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 748
That windage tray is a horsepower adder!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #230
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

So back to the carbs...

This was the situation with the right tickler...the zip tie kept it from getting lost...

I tried a push nut retainer but the circumference of the piece was too great. The lever top wouldn't fit on...

but the brass pull chain clip in the lampparts department at my local hardware store seems rather well suited for the task!
all new gaskets, {a couple were missing}, a good crud cleaning, and we are looking forward to atomizing some gas!

I wonder what these little #'s are all about?

danedg screwed with this post 01-04-2011 at 06:32 PM
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #231
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbosidecar View Post
Don't laugh, but Chang Jiang carbs look an awful lot like these and may work as a replacement. They are cheap at about US$ 65/pair or so.
Regds,
Jim
www.bmwsidecar.com
Jim!
I've got your website in my bookmarks! Interesting work you've got going on over there. I'll take a few measurements and we'll compare notes...
These Bings are T120 series, 24mm.
They're 45 years old, with 60,000 miles on 'em, and except for the tickler coming loose they've been great. With fresh gaskets they'll be super!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #232
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Are you recommending a deep sump or what?

I'm not sure what to think about deep sumps. If I was constantly riding in extremely hot temps, I'd consider it. But it's an airhead, not an oilhead...
I'm convinced the most important thing is to change the oil EVERY 1000 miles.
The old oil is filthy dirty. With no filter, what else are you gonna do?

I'm hoping it'll extend my mileage between slinger cleaning.
I got to within 100 miles of putting 20,000 miles on Jezebel (since I've had her} before Ol' Man Winter chased us off the road this year. Based on the Old School rule of thumb regarding /2's, I'm halfway to my next teardown...
We'll see....

danedg screwed with this post 01-04-2011 at 07:09 PM
Old 01-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #233
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,550
...and then you get into the argument about whether to use non-detergent oil on a bike with sketchy slinger-repair history.... the theory being that using detergent oil will loosen up all the little cruddies, filling the slingers all the faster....!

It is amazing that an engine with such obviously-overbuilt metal parts could have such a sling-and-mist crankcase lube system! Just LOVE seeing pics of those gears, cranks, etc

Old 01-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #234
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,478
Something else that is interesting is the fact that the Kohler engine on my brothers Cub Cadet has no oil filter and no /2-style slingers, and will last decades of abuse. Why's the ol' /2 so finicky?!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #235
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummerdude View Post
Something else that is interesting is the fact that the Kohler engine on my brothers Cub Cadet has no oil filter and no /2-style slingers, and will last decades of abuse. Why's the ol' /2 so finicky?!
My guess is that the Cub Cadets (I had one), were designed to wear out, and the /2's weren't...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #236
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
...and then you get into the argument about whether to use non-detergent oil on a bike with sketchy slinger-repair history.... the theory being that using detergent oil will loosen up all the little cruddies, filling the slingers all the faster....!

It is amazing that an engine with such obviously-overbuilt metal parts could have such a sling-and-mist crankcase lube system! Just LOVE seeing pics of those gears, cranks, etc

No sketchy slinger history here!...those slingers were refreshed at 53,297 miles!
In addition to the 1k Oil Change Ritual, I read somewhere an entire treatise on how detergent oil "carries" the junk with it, non detergent doesn't. I don't know if it'll make a whit of difference in the long run...it all eventually gets "slunged"...but I'm enough of a romantic to think that oil similar to what was available when they were still building them, is better suited, than the no zinc, synthetic infused, witches brew designed for your R1000SS!
Hey! We've only got 2 years left to test my theory!
When you look at that black sludge oozing out of my cylinder, I doubt it will REALLY make a difference

this is what I was confronted with when I first pulled the left jug....I think it was my first post even.
"Tell me about this slug?"
I got a ton of wiseass comments and general assorted bs, and it did not enamor me to the Airheads "club"....their loss!
3 years and 20K later, I've learned a coupla things about /2's, their owners and some other stuff about life in general.
WAIT!.... That's what this thread is all about!

danedg screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 01:29 PM
Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #237
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #238
bpeckm
Grin!

Just a freekin' beyoootiful piece of machinery.... and good on ya for taking good care of her (him? it?) ....!

Love the threads and the posts, thank you!

Old 01-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #239
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

to me...THIS is a money shot.... and NOT because it represents a substantial outlay....
Old 01-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #240
bpeckm
Grin!

This is one I took of mine, first time I had the heads off....

Just nice to LOOK at!