User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM   #406
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,461
I put this on another tread, but it's part of Jezebels' story

[QUOTE=England-Kev;15245626]As I am not from the USA, I am confused by this whole Antique shit! please explain.

You're confused!!!!??????
Welcome to New York State Department of Motor Vehicles!

Antique Plates

So not long after we got the bike, and long before it was finished, we’re at the antique bike show, and wouldn’t it be cool to have a NYS 1965 motorcycle tag, on our 1965 motorcycle registered in NYS?
Oooo! There’s one...and here it is.

Man O’ man, there’s a lot of trailer queens here sportin’ appropriate plates for the Year and State...lookin’ good! How difficult could it be?
Motor Vehicles says, No Problem!
We need to mail that plate, or an image of, to the State Division of Antique Plates
to authenticate that it’s a real plate issued in NYS,
that it’s not currently registered to any other NYS vehicle owner,
to verify that it was EVER registered in NYS,
and that it has not been duplicated, altered, defaced, or reissued in any way, to anybody since.
We require that your 1965 motorcycle then be re registered {$124} as an antique motorcycle requiring retitlement{$85} and inspection,{$14} for us to issue you a new title, which is required for us to issue a new registration{$34} using the antique liscence plate{$75} that you gave to the Antique Plate Division for verification. {$10}
Your bike will then be classified as an Antique bike with the State of New York, which requires a special Insurance Policy coverage.
Vintage Bike Insurance.{$300}
Then you can put that plate on the back...
Kewl!
I call the insurance company.
We don’t issue those policies, call these guys.
We don’t underwrite in NY. Call these guys...
No problem! I’ll write this one for 3 times what you’re paying now, but only if:
If kept in a locked building no more than 10 miles from your residence.
If the bike is independently appraised as certifiably “vintage”. That might raise your rate...
You send us a copy of your yearly NYS inspection report that details your yearly mileage as no more than 2500 miles per year...and you’re not covered for any damage sustained after dark.
After all, Mr E... you’re not really riding this thing, other than taking it to Vintage Bike Shows, are you?
So!
I’ve got a really nice NYS 1965 motorcycle plate for sale for Queenie!
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #407
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

And this

On that note
baldwithglasses,

Thanx for bringing this up,

I remember way back when...
Ooooh ....26 months or so, where, as a old noob, I inundated this thread with bothersome postings, ridiculous questions, inane photographs and a dry, unhumourous, prose style, that a lot of people really took notice of...
Like Gadget Boy, who tersely stated, ...if you post any more of that shit, I’ll cut you off forever....
Like Flood, who did, without warning...
Like Stagehand, who took one look at my bike and said, “That’s an old mans’ ride...”
Like Datchew, who told me to stay off his thread as I was mucking it up...
Like DaveF, who didn’t give a shit if I did.
Good times...
And through thick and thin, there was always a core group of doods, who never hesitated to correct my every mistake, point out every flaw in my work, postulate that the entire bike needed to be torn to bits again, and put the fear of GOD in me to fix that before I blowedup that classic , and never once hesitating to ask the questions that my Mother would never dare. Such as...
“I’m surprised you /2 guys don’t collect your own exhaust gasses....”
It’s query’s like these that maintain my interest in motorcycling.
But early on, Wirewerkr sold me some critical items that allowed me to not crash and burn, on my way to getting that Old Black Piece of German Junk running again...without his mercy I’d be sitting at my house, freezing my butt off...
Wait! I am!...
In a lifetime of riding, that seems like only 2-1/2 years, I’ve acquired a new outlook. Not just on motorcycles, but life itself. When I was pinned to a hospital bed with tubes and wires comin’ out my nose, all I could think about was “The Cafe Racer” thread, Great Road Signs...and when will I be able to get back in the saddle?
Gee...I might never get the opportunity to screw up an old black motorcycle ever again...without Plavix!
To wade into a project without the slightest idea. The wrong tools and no money! To boldly tear apart a motorcycle that nobody has a clue how to put back together!
Those were the days!...
And it never could have happened without you’se Guys and Gals!!!!
I just wanna thank everybody for being a lot like a family...
...Can’t live with ‘em, can’t put ‘em down the Disposall. But when you come back to the table, there they are...
Without this forum, I would never have had the incentive to post my own thread of a partial rebuild of a plebeian motorcycle, complete with fuzzy photographs and romantic descriptions of botched operations, all the while continuing to marvel at my own limited knowledge of original and correct shop procedures.
But the bike keeps running, and I keep thanking all you folks for putting me up , er, putting up with me..
I hope that my bike and my ticker allow me to pepper this forum for a long time to come, with tiny tidbits of insight, rivulets of knowledge, and pitchers of weird stuff combined with an unnatural ability to entertain and amaze and sometimes confound you...
That’s what Old School, Old’s Cool, OuldSkewl’s all about! A veritable fountain of arcane knowledge, spewing forth, page after page!...
I love you All, Man!

danedg screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 12:14 PM
Old 02-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #408
gertiektn
KetchikanBeemer

Oddometer: 76
Hey Great Stuff!

I am in Prince Rupert, BC right now and heading home by way of the sea.

I think I have found a home..(here) no kidding I have been on a search. (in the bmw world)... it is pretty scary out there.

When I get to my big 'puter', I will tell you my plate "story".

Jim, Ketchikan, Alaska
2004 R1100S "RFAR 1"
No chains here!
gertiektn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #409
Goomicoo
Rubber Cow

Oddometer: 563
Sorry, I'm jumping in late here but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand View Post
Nice... VERY nice.

I should note that this pic clearly illustrates where a body can see a number of differences 'twixt the pre-'60 machines (i.e. pre-/2) and the later machines. For those that don't know, it is now homework time...

kix
I know I'm late to the party here but......
I saw your connecting rods laying down against the block and had to mention that it's a no no. Of course you probably have thousands of miles on the motor since you took the pic to prove me wrong.
After 30K more miles when you pull it apart again stick some rags under the rods just for me. Thanks
Goomicoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #410
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
And it never could have happened without you’se Guys and Gals!!!!
I just wanna thank everybody for being a lot like a family...
...Can’t live with ‘em, can’t put ‘em down the Disposall.
That's warm love coming through right there.

Come down to South Kakalaka Dan. It's 70F today. All these damn harley's and sissy veestroms are now driving into work and taking my parking spaces. Pricks. I hope it rains so they go home and I get my spaces back.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #411
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
That's warm love coming through right there.

Come down to South Kakalaka Dan. It's 70F today. All these damn harley's and sissy veestroms are now driving into work and taking my parking spaces. Pricks. I hope it rains so they go home and I get my spaces back.
Bite me!
It's 17 degrees and headed back down to 0 tonight. We've seen 45 ONCE in the last 3 months!....
Old 02-22-2011, 12:29 PM   #412
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Gertiektn,

I'm really fascinated with your location. I've never had the pleasure of visiting that area, and want to hear more about it. The climate, geography and riding opps...
Pics?
Old 02-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #413
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Old 02-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #414
Bulleteer
Aimless Wanderer

Oddometer: 337
Quote:
Like Gadget Boy, who tersely stated, ...if you post any more of that shit, I’ll cut you off forever....
Like Flood, who did, without warning...
Like Stagehand, who took one look at my bike and said, “That’s an old mans’ ride...”
Like Datchew, who told me to stay off his thread as I was mucking it up...
There's a whole lotta warm love coming through right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
Pricks. I hope it rains so they go home and I get my spaces back.
Look, there's some more warm love.
Bulleteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #415
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulleteer View Post
There's a whole lotta warm love coming through right there.

Look, there's some more warm love.
I like to keep it flowing.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM   #416
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
Dan,
nice shot, and beautiful /2. Just out of curiosity, do you ever ride that with one of the single seats?

Keep up the good work,
Gero

Quote:
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #417
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Solo Seat

I haven't got one of them. Can't afford one at this time either. I do have the narrow and wide bench's. As the edgwife has taken a keen interest in coming along for the ride, I'm kewl with the "couch".
I DO like the look of the denfeld solo. But I've never even ridden on one. An interesting factoid is, Cuzzun Sam (R69S), normally rides a solo on his bike. Has for years. Last season, he attempted The Minuteman SaddleSore 1000 up through New England. Claims it would have been the oldest bike to do so, had he finished. He had completed 858 miles in 18 hours, and pulled into a scheduled gas stop on The Mass. Pike, only to discover his tranny clutch lever was GONE... NOT the sort of spare part one normally carries along! We're guessing it was the steel roll pin that failed...
To make the attempt, Sam changed out the solo, for the wide bench. Claims it's the most comfortable seat by far, for a /2. He should know.

This pic was taken after I'd bought Jezebel. Sight unseen. This was the first time I'd seen it. Sam located JBel in Ohio, through some acquaintance of his. Having some sense of the bike's history, and the fact that it was till being ridden, the conclusion was that the bike would only need minimal refreshing and cosmetics. Boy, was he wrong! That's Sam's 68' R69S in the foreground.

danedg screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 12:08 PM
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #418
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,737
There is a lot to be said for being able to scooch around... I personally like the looks of either the narrow saddle, or the Corbin aftermarket (I know, I'll be burned at the stake...)

But then, I have to admit that I am "inseam challenged", so this was a nice ride.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #419
Ze Red Baron
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 437
I agree on the benefits of scooching around - when I'm on my /6 for even just an hour, I'm movin up, then movin back, and up and back - ya might think I'm trying to wear a hole in the seat

I like the look of the bench - was just curious. Wonder what one of those single seats would look like on a /6
www.ars-natura.com
Ze Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #420
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Personally, I like the look of the narrow bench as it exposes the rear shock tower caps, but that seat can be a real butt buster after a few hours. The wide bench is quite comfy, works pretty well with the Buco's, without the rear rack. That of course is my own opinion and doesn't mean squadool to anyone else on the planet.

danedg screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 07:23 PM