Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #61
kanur
cu new er

Oddometer: 693
I like the story and am sorry for being so slow to get back to it. My R50 has 37k on it and had a full resto done about 10 years ago.

For reasons unknown last summer I decided to act like I had money to spend and went on a search for a /2 It didn't take long to find this one and it was even better than I ever dreamed of getting. It was an older resto that was done nice. Motor done, new rims and stainless spokes and nipples, full stainless exhaust, stainless fasteners, new seats, ect, ect. And the best part, a fairly low price

Sorry to see that pic of your Buco lid I would like to get a set of Enduro beatle bags but the price is hard to justify .
Old 03-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #62
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,409
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 PM   #63
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,081
nice finned cooling clamp ring, & etc
Renner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:18 PM   #64
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

When I last contributed to this tale of woe, I described my intro to fiberglassing, cutting, shaping, sanding, filling, priming, resanding, refilling, and finally painting....
If you put too many layers of RC Black on, too fast...? that shit'll bubble up on the first hot day!
And so guess what dimwit does 3 days ago????
He fergets to lock the lid...and CLACK!!! Right in the middle on a busy RT 209....logging trucks...on a tight downhill.
Only damage was from where it hit the road...them boys can drive!
But I regress. There's a pair of them Buco Twinmaster's on Ebay now. We'll see what they go for...
I'm startin' to bite the bullet. At 50K, the slingers are way past borrowed time. I take the bike in for it's first EKG/CatScan since????.......
I've got 85#'s left, 95#'s right...she only smokes a little bit...what could go wrong????Have the oils cease to feed the big end bearings? Sieze the rods? Blow the jug off from lackolube?
I cave in, and park it, for the winter....
The tranny is already at MAX'. Too many special tools and a special knowledge of /2 trannys are required...neither of which I posess. Can I come up and watch what yer doin' when it happens?
No...not allowed in the dealer shop.
Well...phack! That's no fun! It's against my nature to pay a bunch o bucks and not get some edumacation...
I cross my Rubicon...the decision is made. I will "do" the motor myself. If I plan to ride this thing from now on, I'd better know what's goin' on inside.
And besides....what could go wrong? Seals and valve stems...piece of Bavarian Pie!

danedg screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 07:20 PM
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 PM   #65
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 763
Dan, have you considered putting some sort of tether on those lids?
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:58 AM   #66
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

But...that would be smart and efficient!?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #67
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

I changed my oil today....

Wow!
Five whole month's....
I know that this will no longer be the sequential novella of the resurrection of this bike and others like it, but an unorganized pile of random posts of vaguely remembered events punctuated by fuzzy fotos of antique objects....

Todays post is a culmination of fractured investigation and ownership of a slash 2, topped off by a healthy serving of vague and intensely personal opinions of other owners who post untold thousands of suspicious ramblings of what really truly HAS to be done to get your /2 running, and keep it running........ FOREVER!

The steps that led me to todays decision about oil is as follows.....

> Put oil in the bike, keep it up to the line...if possible. {It keeps going somewhere, just make sure there is something in there.}
> Read the owners manual. It says throw straight 40W in there.
OK....Castrol 40W it was...6000 miles.....
> Rebuild the motor and stuff....
Now I really want to make sure I put the "right stuff" in there....
Rotella T 30W is formulated, with a higher zinc content, to protect
brass/bronze bits and camshaft tappets from unnecessarily premature
failure due to the "modern" composition of todays oil, being used in an
antique motor....so I threw that stuff in there for the next 9000 miles...
> Then I read, some article somewhere from some guy who states that
modern oils are detergent oils. That means they are formulated to
"suspend" all dirt and contaminants until they are passed through the
oil filter....
What's an oil filter????

So this is what I've descended to......
Change your oil every 1000 miles.....that's your oil filter!
Use a straight 30 or 40 depending on how cold it gets....
Use non detergent oil, it won't hold on to the crap in the oil and fill your slingers ( as fast), as a detergent oil will.....
Add a shot of LucasOil zinc additive to keep your tappets happy, and other brassy bits....

So today I changed my oil again.
Tomorrow....I'm headed out to "who knows where"...., and I hear the fateful words of Tony and Matt, nodding their heads....saying,
"YUP!.....Put oil in it...whatever you can find when you're ..."out there..."

So I went to might local super chain auto parts store and I find...
Shell, SAE 30 ND

"Non Detergent motor oil for use in equipment requiring an oil without current or or traditional additives except to control oxidation. Some applications may include compressors, antique cars and trucks, and pressure washers."

They forgot to mention motorcycles.....

So in it goes with a shot of LucasOil....
I'll let you know how it works out after the next 17,000.......

Old 09-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #68
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Here's your thread back from the dead!!!
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #69
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323

Photo of Mojo, my 1966 BMW. I have film, prints, going back to 1988 when I first got her. This is a current shot from last night.

For years I took long looks at the forlorn old BMW sitting in the corner of the showroom floor of Cycle Specialties of Athens, GA. The big tank, the solo seat, the serifs on the BMW logo... With all the hot Ducatis, Moto Guzzi and other Italian exotica running about, the BMW looked pretty dowdy... at one time joined with a very gold R100RS for a couple years.

I moved to Vermont with my R75/7 for a job. It was good, I traveled to college campuses in the winter, then checked up on the kids working in National Forests and National Parks all over the US. Oh, yeah, I got paid to ride my R75/7 from Vermont to NC to AZ and back in 1987.

In 1988 I did a recruiting trip to UGA. I visited John Hoffman at Cycle Specialties. The R60 was still there. The story in how I bought the bike is a good one, but I'll save that unless asked.

John took great care in showing me how to start the R60/2. He told me the slingers had been done and she was ready to go. It was February 1989. The weather was mild. I fueled up and started riding to Vermont.

I made it! Vermont was easy. I decided to roll on into Canada... stopped outside Montpelier to pull on a sweater... and the oil spewed out of the vent pipe. The transmission would only go into third. I rolled into the only BMW shop in Montpelier...

Blown tranny. New old stock '67 in stock, you want it? No question.

In time, she was my only transportation through a very dark time in my life. For 3 years I took care of my parents, both dying with cancer in two different towns.

Mojo never failed me.

She was a mule, too, for a certain electrical system and now sports 400 watts and a H4 headlight. 12 volts and a very loud 6 volt horn. I rode her from NC to Sturgis, MS three years ago. Mojo got an award.

Second solo seat... another story, purchased in abject poverty but necessary regardless. Been on Mojo for what, 15, no 17 years ago. Dinosaur? Appeared after a meal in rural Pennsylvania on one northern sortie.

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371

bmwloco screwed with this post 09-17-2010 at 11:52 AM
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:27 PM   #70
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,560
Since I got my /6 in 2004, I've wanted a /2.

I want a /2 with a sidecar.
I want another /2 with a VW engine.

I demand it all.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #71
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

You don't need it all!
All you need is one of these.....
Old 09-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #72
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

An Invitation To Post

I hoped this thread might attract other /2heads to post up about these bikes...
good....bad...and indifferent..

All are welcome to post anything about the bikes if you'd like.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:31 PM   #73
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg
You don't need it all!
I do.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:54 AM   #74
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
The only "negative" I have on my /2, and probably on all, is brakes. No disks, just drums.

You get one good "hail Mary" stop, then you better let 'em cool down before hitting them hard again.

Mind you, If I am going to ride it like I stole it, I will probably ride my wife's Ducat Monster...

'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '87 BMW R850R '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #75
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

The only "negative" I have on my /2, and probably on all, is brakes. No disks, just drums.

I relined the rears, and there was improvement. I haven't done the front (end), that's coming this winter....
But I have the "oh shit" moment a lot, when I hit rush hour traffic, 2UP, ....like today.....

I he HAD taken the left, (he wanted to) there would have been not a chance in hell that I coulda grabbed enough right grip.....there's nothin down there.....

It's one of the original anti lock brake systems.....