Yet another reason to go solo!
Goomicoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 AM   #767
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,009
Tape is your destiny.
Dirt bikes and other stuff.
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #768
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Buco lights

You know that "Advance Auto" sells those lights for $2.99 each? Not an exact replacement but close enough to do the job without heartbreak and embassment of a packing tape repair.

Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 PM   #769
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 5,926

It seems to be coming popular to mount cheap dirt tires on /2's...
I'll be awaiting the mileage reports for such a setup, and the perceived advantages of having knobby's on an Earles fork...
I might want to become popular myself someday...
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic

danedg screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 04:03 PM
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM   #770
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I was tinkering with the R60 at the weekend between painting bits of my 1150GS.

The rubber gromet in the headlight crumbled when I tried to push the sleeve over the wires back into it. I got an oversized one from a local parts shop and cut it down by just removing a section. I left it big enough be difficult to insert and the job looks good. Just annoying that crappy bits like this fail after only 42 years. Was BMW quality already on the slippery slope in '69?

I also noticed that the twin throttle cables were twisted around each other between the grip housing and where they split at the front frame downtube. I sorted that out and found the bike would no longer tick over, just tooooo slooooow. Reset the throttle stops and then the pilot air screws. It now is smoother and the throttle has a lighter action.

Getting enthusiastic I also re-routed the clutch cable as it had been obstructing the neutral lamp. Sadly the plastic sleeve on the outer cable is ready for the cable graveyard. This is sad as it seems to be the original, complete with in line lubrication point and the little plastic plug to seal the hole.

Are these original style cables still available?

Still trying to track down the correct gauge steel tube to have a pattern Craven W rack fabricated.

I've done about 1200 miles on it in the 5 weeks I've owned it and the only issue seems to be a slight oil weep from below the bell housing. As I'm loosing a small amount of oil from the engine and the gearbox is still filled to the bottom of the filler thread I'm guessing that the rear crankshaft oil seal is giving me the heads up. It's very slight and I guess that any oil will be centrifuged off the flywheel so the clucth should be OK.

How far should these bikes drop on the front forks when they come off the centre stand? It seems to be about half the travel and as I keep grounding the stands that may be too much.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #771
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
I was tinkering with the R60 at the weekend between painting bits of my 1150GS.

The rubber gromet in the headlight crumbled when I tried to push the sleeve over the wires back into it. I got an oversized one from a local parts shop and cut it down by just removing a section. I left it big enough be difficult to insert and the job looks good. Just annoying that crappy bits like this fail after only 42 years. Was BMW quality already on the slippery slope in '69?

I also noticed that the twin throttle cables were twisted around each other between the grip housing and where they split at the front frame downtube. I sorted that out and found the bike would no longer tick over, just tooooo slooooow. Reset the throttle stops and then the pilot air screws. It now is smoother and the throttle has a lighter action.

Getting enthusiastic I also re-routed the clutch cable as it had been obstructing the neutral lamp. Sadly the plastic sleeve on the outer cable is ready for the cable graveyard. This is sad as it seems to be the original, complete with in line lubrication point and the little plastic plug to seal the hole.

Are these original style cables still available?

Still trying to track down the correct gauge steel tube to have a pattern Craven W rack fabricated.

I've done about 1200 miles on it in the 5 weeks I've owned it and the only issue seems to be a slight oil weep from below the bell housing. As I'm loosing a small amount of oil from the engine and the gearbox is still filled to the bottom of the filler thread I'm guessing that the rear crankshaft oil seal is giving me the heads up. It's very slight and I guess that any oil will be centrifuged off the flywheel so the clucth should be OK.

How far should these bikes drop on the front forks when they come off the centre stand? It seems to be about half the travel and as I keep grounding the stands that may be too much.
1- Go to this website. http://www.benchmarkworks.com/

All of the little bits are still available. More importantly, the parts numbers still match the original factory part numbers. If you can track them down Euro, the part numbers will be the same. Replacing a few small parts every so often is a lot easier than ordering one of every deteriorated bit of that old broken down piece of German junk....

2- Most of the breakdowns I've seen/experienced were cable related. Clutch,throttle,speedo. The modern replacements are Teflon lined and should not be lubed. You will be agog at how much easier the controls on your bike will operate when replaced. Save the old ones for emergency backup.

3- Your oil weep could be coming from several spots. The usual suspects are: the clutch rod assembly seal and/or the neutral switch. Mine both weep and it collects in the tray below. Try cleaning the entire rear of the tranny and the tray and keep an eye on it. If it's not a BP gusher, then you'll learn to adapt until such time as the tranny gets freshened. Then it'll probably continue to weep.

4- Losing oil. I've repeated this till silly. Check the 10mm bolts securing your oil pan. Make sure they're snug. The threads go all the way through the block to the sump. The motor creates internal pressure that forces the oil out imperceptibly, until the pan is seated after several checks....replace the drain plug seals with fresh copper. Replace your drain plugs with magnetic ones. It's your early warning system, when things start coming apart.
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic

danedg screwed with this post 05-04-2011 at 04:38 PM
Old 05-05-2011, 07:55 AM   #772
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

$3.19

The shame and humiliation was too much to bear...
Repairing your Buco lens with packing tape, is like zipping your shirt tail out in your fly, and not noticing...
AutoZone...$3.19. Not only was the lens spot on, it looks like the housing and socket could be retrofit to operate with the pannier. Hell the 12V bulb even lit up. The lens was an exact duplicate of the one I broke. Could it be that someone else broke the lens in a former life???
Thanks SlackerSteve...I don't know how I can ever repay you....

'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic

danedg screwed with this post 05-05-2011 at 02:51 PM
Old 05-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #773
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,361
Old 05-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #774
gertiektn
KetchikanBeemer

Oddometer: 71
been sorting out the boats.. you know.. we live on an island.. so sailing and fishing is in season..
Poor Hanz sits in the garage with 19 miles on the rebuild.. I think I have sorted out the hot start problem..
carb adjust needed to be leaned out..
now i just have to find time to ride and am waiting for the rain to stopppp.
So we are good here at island time.. I did have an opportunity to go to a slow speed "total control" riding school and dip the pegs on my r75. was a worth while endeavor.. you are never too old to learn something.. and bike balance is a technique.

If the weather is good, I will send along a pic of the 'Salmon Capital Arch"
Stand buy... still working on the first 100 miles for and oil change.

Jim, Ketchikan
Attached Images

No chains here!
gertiektn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:03 AM   #775
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,009
That's a good looking bike, Jim.
Dirt bikes and other stuff.
...sweet dreams and fine machines in pieces on the ground...
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:08 AM   #776
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,361

A good lookin' bike and a nice photo as well
Old 05-09-2011, 07:26 AM   #777
ooweel
Jobless, Its OK!

Oddometer: 722
This post is invalid without part numbers

sO I goes 30 miles up the road to the local Autozone. That is the closest
one to me. I walk up to the 50 plus (not a kid) year old employee and ask where the lighting section would be explaining and showing what I want. He stops, He thinks, He thinks some more, Looks towards the front of the store, then starts walking that way then suddenly stops, points and says "next aisle over". Finger pointing to the back of the store. By the time I look thru the section and cant find the $3.19 light I was looking for I walked back up to the Front desk (I say this because he is not a counterman behind a counter) and now there are 4 people in line. So I cut my losses and walk out.

ANY CHANCE you have the part #????

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
The shame and humiliation was too much to bear...
Repairing your Buco lens with packing tape, is like zipping your shirt tail out in your fly, and not noticing...
AutoZone...$3.19. Not only was the lens spot on, it looks like the housing and socket could be retrofit to operate with the pannier. Hell the 12V bulb even lit up. The lens was an exact duplicate of the one I broke. Could it be that someone else broke the lens in a former life???
Thanks SlackerSteve...I don't know how I can ever repay you....

ooweel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #778
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

One of these things is not like the other

June 2008

Today

( My dislexic memory was screaming 746...but 764 will do...)
'74 Guzzi Eldorado
'95 R100 Mystic
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #779
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,805
your trip meter works

good on you Danj'
Old 05-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #780
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
June 2008

Today

( My dislexic memory was screaming 746...but 764 will do...)
Dane, you've put more miles on that old girl than mine hass done in 42 years

Keep those wheels turning, great to see one being used properly.

I've managed 1,000 miles since collecting mine at the beginning of April this year.

I hope to soon have a pattern Craven W to hang the panniers correctly.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote