danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #827
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,466
IBA Minuteman

So,
Congratulations to my cousin Sam Booth!
He came in 3rd in the Iron Butt Association Minute Man Ride 2011 this last weekend.
He made the attempt last year, on an 68' R69S only to lose his clutch rod lever at mile 845....bummer.
He completed the course in 19.5 hrs. on his 1150 GS and is now officially recognised to have an Iron Butt.....
Old 05-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #828
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

There is the very R69S of which we speak ...
And who's the pretty girl behind Sam's bike?
Old 05-30-2011, 05:49 PM   #829
schnitzenrader
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I'm sick.....

I just watched the engine teardown, I'm definately commited.
This video makes my stomach turn. I'm gonna have to psych myself up before I wathch it again.

Its verry apreciated.
schnitzenrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #830
Twotaildog
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzenrader View Post
This video makes my stomach turn. I'm gonna have to psych myself up before I wathch it again.

Its verry apreciated.
If you need any information once you start the rebuild, just let me know. I can let you know who rebuild my heads, who rebuilt my crank, where to get specialty tools, etc.

Kevin
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #831
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitzenrader View Post

Its verry apreciated.
It should make your head spin with anticipation. When you see how few parts and process' are involved, you'll be agog...
Ask away! There are a number of folks that can answer....
Old 05-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #832
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Old 06-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #833
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
I posted back at the beginning of April that I had bought this:-

There were many kind comments but I wasn't completely happy with it. The rear rack was resting on the mudguard and causing damage and the panniers (side cases?) were mounted on the wrong sides (they are handed) attached to a piece of tube crushed in the middle and welded to a plate that bolted through the mudguard.

I did a little research and with help from some inmates established that the correct rack to use was a Craven Type W, narrrow. I intended to get a rack fabricated but the tight bends and small diameter tube seemed to be a problem. Plan B was a used rack and get brackets fabricated. Proff came up trumps with a rack that I twisted his arm into selling to me and I found a local custom bike builder to fab the brackets. Once done we had a trial assembly and then everything went for powder coating. Not correct for the period but hey they are easily removed.

When the rack and brackets came back they seem to have changed shape during the baking process With limited hand tools I set about adjusting the shape whilst trying not to damage the finish. The clamps for attaching the pannier support pins had been fabricated from alloy and I wasn't confident that they would prove to be strong enough or sufficiently durable so with a hack saw, vice, pillar drill, grinding wheel and some files I set about making some stronger ones from a gash piece of 2.1mm stainless steel sheet and 4 countersink head wood screws. Here is the result

As you can see there is just enough clearance to adjust the suspension now, with the old attachment this wasn't possible

They are far enough forward that the tail light is just visible from the side

I need to get some shorter bolts and do some tidying but it's getting there. Ready for a 1,000 mile weekend in a couple of weeks time.

Oh, and I found out today that Ken Craven could see into the future! The Dolomite bag is the perfect size to carry a Dell Optiplex 755 to the computer repair shop.
Packer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 PM   #834
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,211
i don't remember seeing all those pics,it's beautiful!!what is that strap behind the kick starter?i'm off on mine for about an 800 miler to colorado this week end
Old 06-02-2011, 01:08 PM   #835
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess jamaica View Post
what is that strap behind the kick starter?
I'm told that it's a replica of an accessory sold by BMW to make it easier lifting the bike onto the stand. I'm guessing that originally there would have been one or two leather straps to attach it to the top frame loop instead of the cable ties that you see on mine. If I can find some suitable straps I may leave it on otherwise it's for the parts box.

It does work though.

Thanks for the images you sent PJ, they were key in deciding on the bracket design.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #836
princess jamaica
OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer: 2,211
thanks,my pleasure.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #837
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer View Post
I'm told that it's a replica of an accessory sold by BMW to make it easier lifting the bike onto the stand. I'm guessing that originally there would have been one or two leather straps to attach it to the top frame loop instead of the cable ties that you see on mine. If I can find some suitable straps I may leave it on otherwise it's for the parts box.

It does work though.

Thanks for the images you sent PJ, they were key in deciding on the bracket design.
I'd like to get one of them straps. If they're no longer available, I'll make one.
I am a rigger fer chrissakes! Who made that one?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #838
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

This is the Hudson River, looking South from the lawn of Boscobel Restoration, Cold Spring, NY.
It is also the site of The Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival.
The view you see, is of Storm King Mountain, West Point Military Academy, and the mighty Hudson, that form the backdrop for all performance.
It is also a great place for the public to visit and wander around the grounds and capture the flavor and history of The Mid Hudson Valley.
This shot was taken last Saturday.
A wedding party descended on the site after the ceremony, with a professional fotog for post nuptials. A coupla guys and a ten year old in tuxedos, come walking over from the photoshoot, into our jobsite {very close by}, asking who owns "... the BMW".
Who's asking and why?
The bike is so way cool, that we'd like to pose the entire wedding party for a hundred shots over there on the sidewalk... can we put your bike in the shot?
I took this after they left....

Old 06-02-2011, 10:10 PM   #839
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
The bike is so way cool, that we'd like to pose the entire wedding party for a hundred shots over there on the sidewalk... can we put your bike in the shot?
Please tell me they're going to send you a copy!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #840
Packer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
I'd like to get one of them straps. If they're no longer available, I'll make one.
I am a rigger fer chrissakes! Who made that one?

I don't know, it was on the bike when I got it. The handle is a nifty cast aluminium unit so it was either a taken from another application or someone spent significant money to have them produced.

It's supposed to be a dry day here today so I'll get the bike out and take some close up photographs but basically it consists of four components:-

1) 2 x heavy galvanised square plates to clamp the webbing with the passenger foot peg securing bolt. They look like items I've seen in a builders merchants for load spreading when you "through bolt" timber.
2) 1 x piece of webbing. Similar to heavy duty truckers "tie down" strapping.
3) 1 x aluminium handle.
4) 2 x straps to loosely locate the handle in place.

Watch this space.

Dane, you don't get much better compliments about your bike than "Can we have it in our wedding photos please.?" I hope that the bride sat on it side saddle with a big traditional white wedding dress spread across it.