Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #1426
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,945
So how do you clean them? Soak in a degreaser??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:35 AM   #1427
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by danedg View Post
snip

In reality, it's a simple machine. In theory, a machine that would run forever if it weren't for those damn slingers.
That really is an engineering thing of beauty....I just love the massive gears, bearings, carriers... a holdover from the days of massive cast engines, like the old railroad steam engines......

Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #1428
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So how do you clean them? Soak in a degreaser??
I got lucky. The accumulated detritus was soft enough to scrape out with that little screwdriver. I soaked 'em kerosene for a while and then used some emery cloth and then some steel wool on the end of a chopstick
You do want them smooth as they are a integral part of the "oiling system".

Now here is where I diverge from Pokie's assessment of slinger cleaning. And I mean no disrespect to his opinion.
When I, or anyone else takes possession of a used /2, (or any other used bike for that matter), I heartily recommend that one should assume that NO maintenance has ever been done, and that the previous owner(s) changed the oil once a year, whether it needed it or not! After all, the bike runs great! What could go wrong?
Pokie, I disagree with your claim that all that smutz is the result of the rings breaking in a set of freshly honed barrels. That was a LOT of detritus that came out of those two discs. I'm of the mind that it was a more gradual accumulation over the years(miles) due primarily to dirt(stuff) that is carried around by the oil itself. Sure there is some metal fluff in there from your bearing surfaces disintegrating under use, but it's also a lot combustion frack caused by sloppy rings, sloppy valve seats and guides, rich oily conditions due to poor timing, weak spark and low grade gasoline.
When this bike was new, it enjoyed Sunoco 260 gas, full of lead and zinc. It probably never saw "detergent" oil until 1980. All these "modern" juices we're forced to use these days, are terrible for these Old School motors.
I use the highest grade gas I can find as it burns at a lower temp. It IS an airhead after all!
I have only used non detergent straight thirty weight dino oil, using the assumption that the detergent oil "suspends" (traps) the dirt until it can shove it through the oil filter. (Which doesn't exist) Therefore, the detergent oil is actively contributing to filling the slingers faster than a non detergent. I'd prefer the oil not carry the dirt.
I add a big dollop of LucasOil zinc additive to the oil to protect the flat tappets on the cam. A lack of zinc would be like having no oil at all.
Finally, the lack of an oil filter requires (I believe) that the oil be changed every 1000 miles. It is the only way to remove the excess dirt from the oil. I have a friend in Ohio, that followed that advice for the second 40,000 miles and purposely pulled the crank to check slinger condition. The slingers were like new.
I know! It's only one persons experience, and everybody says it ain't so, but "How long will my Slash2 run after I rebuild it?" was the main reason this thread exists at all.
When my piston ring circlip let loose and destroyed the left cylinder and piston, I rehoned the original cylinder and reringed the original piston and stuck it all back together. I never contemplated checking the slingers. After all, I've only put 32,000 miles on it, never having anything but fresh oil in it. The odommeter now reads 82,500 and she purrs like a kitty. I expect to ride it trouble free to 100,000 and then I'll pull the crank to check the slingers...whether it needs it or not!
Stay tuned!
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #1429
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 771
No worries, no arguement here. You're doing all the right things, you'll make that bike last forever.

Using a non-detergent oil makes the inside of the engine look filthy and so it should as all the crap produced by the engine isn't being filtered out by the slingers. If you have the crap in the slingers checked out, it will be mostly aluminum, steel and cast iron BUT that's not all there is in there. There will also be all the crap the an engine will produce just by running. I use the piston ring and cylinder wall explaination to help get people thinking about how and why the slingers fill up.

I've had folks proudly exclaim to me that they just bought a /2 and they really want to take care of it. So, they just changed the oil but before they changed the oil they added some "Internal Engine Cleaner" to the oil to get out any filth that may be left in there by previous owners. I'll spend the next several minutes (that sometimes turns into hours) asking them not to do that any more and why.

Sorry, I'm preaching again. /2 BMWs are really very good bikes and they can last forever. I love mine dearly. Folks just need to be a little more educated before they buy.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 AM   #1430
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Sing it Brother, Sing It!!!

I can't tell you for sure what that stuff was. It looked like you could mix in a little 90Wt. and have a reasonably good Never Seize... But whatever it was would have to end up acting like a grinding paste mixed in with your lubers...not good.
The slingers were not the only reason my bike needed rebuilding. At 52,000 the bike was just plum wore out...all the rubber and seals, shocks, top end, tranny, rear drive and so on and so forth... The generator and regulator were toast and a variety of "other stuff"... I suppose when I add it all up I've spent $8-9000 on Jezebel.
The fact that she's my first and probably last bike.... priceless.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #1431
Beamer Bum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Since we are in teaching mode, let me show what happens when those little holes get plugged up. No oil gets to this bearing. The race is cracked and worn thru, the inside of the rod is scored and the crank pin is scored. This cost me $2300 in the mid '90's. I would hate to do it at todays prices.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #1432
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249

Cleaned slingers and a long ride do bring peace of mind ....

Daneg - what non detergent oil are you using ?
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:10 AM   #1433
lucky6600
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Another way to fix the Slinger issue, I guess

lucky6600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:52 AM   #1434
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcf View Post

Cleaned slingers and a long ride do bring peace of mind ....

Daneg - what non detergent oil are you using ?
I still have this fantasy that I'm going to head out for parts unknown on a /2 and if I need an oil change I can hit any autozone/advance/oreiilys/pepboys etc. and buy a coupla quarts of Shell 30W anywhere east of Podunk.
But that is fast becoming nothing more than a fantasy as in: If I head out for parts unknown it'll probably be on this bike...

The Eldorado is a big fast powerful road burner with brakes and lights!
But guess what?
It's got no oil filter either!!!
So I'm running the same ND 30W in this as well.
ALL oil changes on each bike get a large bloop of Zinc additive (LucasOil). Motor,Tranny,Rear Drive.
The Old Girls always appreciate a little extra lube!
Old 09-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #1435
gplane
Brush With Destiny

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky6600 View Post

That is one sweet conversion.
Are the cans Hoskes?
Nothing sounds sweeter on a big bore airhead.
gplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #1436
jcf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

Wow - that setup and the patina (though patina seems like too dainty a work to describe such a robust looking machine) look just about perfect
jcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #1437
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:

I would ride the crap out of that.

Man. That is nice.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 PM   #1438
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

An interesting weekend

The Fall Meet of the BMWVMCA on the banks of the Ohio river. Vintage bikes and bikers from Fla to Michigan...

The 1938 R50SS was the one of the stars of the show

John's R27

Carl Andersons' 1957 R60/2 with complementary Heinrich fairing and Buco hardbags...

danedg screwed with this post 09-24-2013 at 07:38 PM
Old 09-26-2013, 06:09 PM   #1439
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed

How to Balance a Wheel

A rear wheel in this case...
Old 10-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #1440
danedg OP
Horizontally Opposed