User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
ST RIDER OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Cb Radio On F800gs

I have installed a J & M 2003 CB Radio on my 800 GS and it works fine when the engine isn't running however as soon as I start the bike I get noise when I am recieving or sending and the noise gets so bad that the CB isn't useful above 2,000 RPM's. I have installed different filters in the power line with no improvement and I have even replaced my radio with a friends radio and get the same problem. The noise is definately engine noise. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to eliminate the noise?
ST RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #2
SkiFastBadly
A beer? Yes, please

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST RIDER
I have installed a J & M 2003 CB Radio on my 800 GS and it works fine when the engine isn't running however as soon as I start the bike I get noise when I am recieving or sending and the noise gets so bad that the CB isn't useful above 2,000 RPM's. I have installed different filters in the power line with no improvement and I have even replaced my radio with a friends radio and get the same problem. The noise is definately engine noise. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to eliminate the noise?
I think your 8 track is interfering with it.

2008 Buell Ulysses
2008 Triumph Scrambler
2004 HD Heritage Softail
SkiFastBadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiFastBadly
I think your 8 track is interfering with it.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
biker128pedal
Super Lurker

Oddometer: 2,803
You may need resistor plugs or wires to cu the noise.

Someone with an 800 will pipe in.

Wee Strommin along.
biker128pedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #5
tuckerman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
I had the same problem on my Wee. Put in a filter and made sure all the wires were as far away as possible from anything to do with engine or ignition. Seemed to work. Although in a driving rain the whole thing quits working until it drys out. Good luck with it, beyond frustrating!
tuckerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I have the J&M 2003 CB on my F800GS. No problems with electrical noise. One thing I did on this bike and my RT was install a very robust (Flat-Web) ground wire that connects the antenna base, antenna bracket, chassis ground, battery ground and ground for the head unit power. I only measure .1 ohm from the antenna to all connected components. I used the supplied power filter from J&M and nothing else. I use the Firestick 2' antenna on both bikes and get reliable results. The ground issue might be where you are picking up the problem.

Another issue might be back feeding from the CanBus system. I isolate that by wiring the relay switch directly to the battery and use the GPS plug on top of the battery to trigger the relay coil (any switched source will do). The radio is only supplied with battery sourced power this way. Given the battery acts as a big capacitor the power is filtered from the CanBus activity.

It doesn't cost much to give these ideas a try. You also want to tune your antenna using a SWR meter. This alone can clean up many issues. Both of my J&M radios have been very reliable for the several years I have used them. Good luck on finding the source of your issues.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
ST RIDER OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Thanks for the ideas

Thanks for the ideas, I have tried various oprions with the ground but I can keep working at it. If I need to I will try some resistor plug wires. I even powered the CB with a spare MC battery and disconnected the CB totally from the bike and I just had the antenna pig tail from the CB hanging loose and still got noise when the engine was running and I was recieving from another CB. This is driving me nuts. Any other ideas would be appreciated. To the person that has a J & M 2003 installed, where did you stuff all the extra wires?
ST RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:16 PM   #8
gr8ridn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
I tucked in most of the wiring along with the multi-connector next to the starter relay under the left side panel. Mine is the two headset version with the intercom. I don't ride with a passenger on this bike so both long headset leads were tucked between the battery and air box out of the way. Of course one lead is fed forward so I can connect from the front of the air box cover. Sort of hard to explain, but there is room between the battery location and the starter relay area that won't interfere with the panel clearances.

I am in the process of cleaning my accessory wiring up and relocating the headset socket and power socket due to a Touratech fuel tank I am installing. It is still working out fine with these changes.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
Big Duke 6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Rfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST RIDER
I have installed a J & M 2003 CB Radio on my 800 GS and it works fine when the engine isn't running however as soon as I start the bike I get noise when I am recieving or sending and the noise gets so bad that the CB isn't useful above 2,000 RPM's. I have installed different filters in the power line with no improvement and I have even replaced my radio with a friends radio and get the same problem. The noise is definately
engine noise. Does anyone have any ideas I can try to eliminate the noise?
The guys have given you a lot of real good advice. I was wondering if you can hear the engine revs change-as heard through the CB speaker- as the throttle is raised and lowered. Assuming your radio has a noise blanker-a must!!-different CB radio manufactures noise blankers work different, try another brand of radio to test. A good test would be a large full featured unit with switchable noise blanker-sometimes they have 2. Good luck
Big Duke 6 is offline   Reply With Quote