ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #16
rdhj
NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 191
OK...you so got my attention...takes lots of pics on the test ride...thinking a possible summer trip for me
rdhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #17
IRONIVAR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
tpat

04 ktm 250 exc
08 polaris sportsman 550
01 honda xr 100 wifes
02 honda crf 50 with training wheels for joe b
08 KTM 50 son
08 polaris 50 (pink) daughter
1971 cb 450 cafe racer wannna b
IRONIVAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
psalonis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Woo HOO !!! It's June!

Unfortunately, I"l be in Germany while the route is being proofed (nearly 2 weeks).

I hope when I come back there's a great RR and some available gps files/tracks.

I'd love to check this out some time over the summer and provide additional feedback/waypoints/tracks.

Thanks towpro.....can't wait to hear how it is.
03 ST 1300
10 990 SMR
psalonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:44 PM   #19
TowPro OP
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,015
time is getting close

We are leaving June 10th for the first campground where the PA/NJ route will meet. This weekend is the final chance to make sure the bike is perfect.

I am going to do a test ride this weekend with the tent and sleeping pad tied on.

routes are ready. Just need to export them for the other riders. and load them in my Nuvi to run as a backup in case I have problems with my bike monitor or laptop. I did run 9 hours last weekend in my truck, down to hatfield mccoy (took the XRL down) with the same GPS system I will run on the bike and had a USB hub fail.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #20
psalonis
Gnarly Adventurer

Tomorrow's the big day!

Towpro, will you be posting updates as you go?
03 ST 1300
10 990 SMR
Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #21
TowPro OP
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalonis
Tomorrow's the big day!

Towpro, will you be posting updates as you go?
I will try if internet access exists. I am traveling with a bunch of computer geeks (ever seen a picture of my GPS unit? :) ) so we should be able to find access.

Last night I realized I am 50 and the old 1" thick sleeping mat ain't going to cut it anymore. Just got back from Cabelas with the 4" thick version :).

Planning on leaving around 3:30 after I put in a couple hours of work from home (and pack my cloths).

I am not as well written as some of the other guys around here, but I hope to start a thread in the Ride Reports section.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #22
psalonis
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
I will try if internet access exists. I am traveling with a bunch of computer geeks (ever seen a picture of my GPS unit? :) ) so we should be able to find access.

Last night I realized I am 50 and the old 1" thick sleeping mat ain't going to cut it anymore. Just got back from Cabelas with the 4" thick version :).

Planning on leaving around 3:30 after I put in a couple hours of work from home (and pack my cloths).

I am not as well written as some of the other guys around here, but I hope to start a thread in the Ride Reports section.

Excellent! I can't wait.... Have a great ride Towpro, I'll be checking for updates. I'll be in Berlin the next few weeks, but if you are ready to share routes/tracks/notes, I'd like to try this route the 2nd week of July.

Cheers,
Pat
03 ST 1300
10 990 SMR
Old 06-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #23
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Be careful, and have fun. Please add a link to the RR here so we can find it.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:58 AM   #24
TowPro OP
Getting there

Thumb

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...7#post13164507
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM   #25
TowPro OP
Getting there

Post ride Patching

Ok, so most of you have already read that rain forced us to bail at Emporium. None of the Track files are color coded (sorry Rob).

Since all these roads are open to the public, and I have so many request for my routes because other people want to ride them, I will post them at the bottom of this message.

Currently we enter from the NJ route at the French Town Bridge. I ended up starting my route 30 road miles from this bridge. connector track is included.

Day 1.
We cut 50-60 miles off the route. I have included this skipped part in the file as well.

Day 2.
On the west side of the canyon, we had a problem. Delorme showed the road was open, garmin showed it was closed. Garmin had proven correct over Delorme several times during the day so we routed around it. the skipped part is also included.

Day 3. We only made it to Emporium. Actual track to Emporium is correct.
Delorme shows one of the actual route roads does not connect, but I proved it does so I made it connect in topo8 :) (Madmaximim is looking for time to test ride this).

Day 4. From Moshannon State Forest to Greenwood Furnace State park. 150 miles, mostly stone/dirt. Route by Wiggus, test ridden by madmaximum.

Day 5. From Greenwood Furnace State Park to Michaux State Forest. Looking for volunteers to design and test ride this last section.

Just keep in mind, I want to be able to ride my Buell Ulysses and my biddies Vee Strome down this finished route. You can add hero sections, but mark them so big bikes can go around. I also made all my route "no locked gates, or roads closed to motor vehicle traffic.

My future work:
1) Rob and I have discussed a route that starts at Hancock NY and connects into the TPAT route at one of my existing campgrounds.
This will allow riders to bypass the TNJT system if they want.
I have this route mostly done and it might be my next test ride.

2) When riders get to Quiet Oaks Campground in Crossfork, I plan on putting in a 4-6 hour loop. Riders will be able to leave the luggage at the campground for the day and ride a loop without the weight. I am twisting my buddies arm about helping with this loop because he knows where the hero sections can be added (and ways to get around them). .

Please, Let me see the changes so I can keep the most up to date files on my website.
Click Here

Edit: Update 7/27/10
I edited the doc above to reflect finished work.
below is the link we are using to build the actual route.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569

TowPro screwed with this post 07-27-2010 at 05:01 PM
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #26
rdhj
NJ Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer: 191
Got your TPAT zip file and looking forward to riding the day 2 and three parts of it....how much of the route on those two days were on gravel or dirt roads? Any roads or trails with cumbersome boulders that would make for difficult riding on a big bike? Was alot of it forested?
rdhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 PM   #27
TowPro OP
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhj
Got your TPAT zip file and looking forward to riding the day 2 and three parts of it....how much of the route on those two days were on gravel or dirt roads? Any roads or trails with cumbersome boulders that would make for difficult riding on a big bike? Was alot of it forested?
Day 2. You start out from the campground and go straight through Williamsport. Once you get up towards the grand canyon there was some stone. After the "look out" stop on the east side of the canyon, you will pass a couple dirt roads, I bet you could connect any of these with a GPS and and get back on the route south of Wellsboro. (that is a part I hope someone works on and gives me a more stone/dirt route).

What happened is after trying to ride 200 miles on day 1, I shortened Day 2, and never looked real close at the new route. We ended up bypassing all that stone between the East side Canyon overlook and Wellsboro.

After Wellsboro you start down the west side of the canyon on a skinny blacktop road, after winding around a while you make a RT (if I recall) onto stone and it goes on for a good distance. From here on out it could be stone almost all the way to Quiet Oaks.

Day 3: I only tested to Empurium and that is mostly stone/dirt. All of the roads on day 2 and 3 go through the forest, even the blacktop ones. Day 3 is where we ran into hard packed dirt roads, that had a skim coat of mud that really slowed us down.

If it's dry, the only one trail that was kind of scary on big bikes was at Mohonay city (tower road) in Day 1. But now that I know it's not leading to a giant mud hole it would feel easier. It could be tricky if muddy because it goes down a long gradual hill for around a mile.

No roads were boulders. You could drive a car down most of them. We road this on a Buell Ulysses, F800GS, vee-strom 650 and 1000, and a R1200sx total street bike (we called it the GS Sport) with street tires. I would ride any of it again without thinking twice, if it's not pouring rain.

It seems the roads in the state forest are better kept (more stone/less dirt) then the township roads.

If you use either riverside campground and or Quiet Oaks campground, Be sure to tell you are following the trans PA motorcycle Trail. After a while they will start to remember us . Just call ahead to Quiet Oaks, they have different events that can fill the place up (snake hunt, rattlesnake Enduro, music festival, etc)

Since you will be following a proven route you will move faster then we did.
Many times we had to turn around because of missed turns or to find a different route.
Next time I will try to be on the road by 9:00 instead 10:00.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #28
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
Great work towpro! You da man!

I combined all your files and renamed the tracks in order so you can get to all the info from one file. I also color coordinated the tracks.

You can download my version of the file(s) here:

Gpx: http://gpsroutebuilder.com/GPS/PA/TPAT/TPAT_v1.gpx

I'll work on overlaying some routes over the tracks you have for those that perfer to navigate by route vs track.

Seems like theres still some work to do. I'm most interested in connecting it at Hancock, NY.

I'll be ridding down to Seneca Shadows, WV on 7/1 - 7/5 using some of this new route so we'll see how the Fz1 handles it.

Thanks again,
Rob

rob23 screwed with this post 06-23-2010 at 04:10 PM
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #29
rob23
on the pipe

Oddometer: 1,811
I don't see the waypoints for the campground in the file, can you add them please?

Sometimes it's good to jump off a route/track and navigate to camp.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #30
TowPro OP
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
I don't see the waypoints for the campground in the file, can you add them please?

Sometimes it's good to jump off a route/track and navigate to camp.
The tracks you downloaded from me are setup as a Track for each day.
They all started and stopped at the campground we used.