ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #61
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
I have a concept file that I thought I sent to you, PAW (PA West), that runs from basically top dead center of what towpro has done hear to the TWVT Northern connector (WV Northern Panhandle). The TET file connects TPAT to MD/WV.

If I haven't sent you that file, just let me know.
OK, I am letting you know. I don't remember seeing it, but I could be mistaken. Even if I did have it though, I don't anymore. I have killed yet another Toughbook laptop.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #62
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,747
I have maps as follows

day 1 from Frenchtown NJ to Montgomery PA

Day 2 Montgomery PA to Cross Fork PA (quietoaks campground) (could be made better west of canyon to campground if I get time to go test some different roads)

Optional Ride 160 mile loop out of Quietoaks campground (not in zip file yet)

day 3 Quiet Oaks Campground to Black Moshannon State park (I made it to emporium, others have tested the 2nd 1/2)

Day 4 From Black Moshannon State Park to Greenwood Furnace State Park

Day 5 From Greenwood Furnace to Pine Grove Furnace 127 miles

Pine Grove Furnance is very close to start of Trans WV Trail

I will go over my Zip file this weekend and post the new one soon.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:43 PM   #63
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

See post 25 in this thread. It has a link to the file.

tpat.zip File is updated.

I added Alt day 1. it runs from hancock NY to east of wellsboro. Nobody has ever ridden this yetI

Day 2 has a file that is named skipped, I was able to test ride most of this in July 2011. If you ride day 2 (in order of route as supplied) , when the "as ridden" track and the "skipped" track come together on the west side of the canyon, take the skipped track for better stone roads.

I added a loop that snowman318 took us on but changed maxmaximim's track file to start and end at the campground.
I also adjusted it where we almost rode the same loop 2 times :). Note there is around 2 miles on the north side, and 1 miles out of hyner view that the roads ARE NOT on Delorme TopoUSA maps
If you want to spend 2 nights in Quiet Oaks campground, you can ride this loop.

From what I viewed tonight, it looks like it is pretty much complete, but parts need to be test ridden (like day 5).

Have fun, PM me with tracks if anybody test rides anything (or fixes anything.)

the word doc included in the zip file pretty much explains everything.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #64
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,383
Hey man, thanks for the post in the other thread, don't know how I nuked my subscription to this one.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #65
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Hey man, thanks for the post in the other thread, don't know how I nuked my subscription to this one.
MoBill, there is a file in the zip called ALT day 1. It starts at a hotel/campground in Hancock NY, and heads over towards Wellsboro. I pinpointed a campground on the map for the end of day, but I can't tell if it is a real campground or religious retreat or something. Anyway, the route ends around the right distance that the next day you route to the current Day2 file, then start following it into Wellsboro then on to the Quiet Oaks Campground, This way the same schedule for evening stops works out on the rest of the route.

This Alt Day 1 route was Rob's idea, in case people wanted to bypass NJ all together.

I made this using a map data I downloaded from Penn State that shows all the dirt roads in PA. the data is kind of old so some of the roads might have been paved. When I first laid out day 1 it showed around 60% was going to be stone road (according to this map). You saw that is not close to being true. Some of the roads that were supposed to be dirt looked like they had been paved for some time.

TowPro screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 06:33 AM
TowPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:31 AM   #66
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

I'll go back to the first post and get that download again.

I think most of us are on the same bent, looking for all the dirt we can get--and getting those gems like Tower Road in there. And I think that's because on the east coast we're in a off-highway dirt deficit, my own missions all seem to be finding the dirt

I've let go of that, it's just not realistic, and I end up wishing the paved sections I'm riding were dirty and so I miss out, because of my attitude, on stellar stuff.

What I'm sayin' I think is what the promise in these routes is we're creating "90% rural". Not 50/50 dirt or whatever. But if you can get all rural? Diamonds.

So, in quest of rural NJ or rural PA I think we'd win every time. Your route is really a winner. Loved what I saw, "...into the arms of America" was playing in my head from Bullet the Blue Sky.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM   #67
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
I'll go back to the first post and get that download again.

What I'm sayin' I think is what the promise in these routes is we're creating "90% rural". Not 50/50 dirt or whatever. But if you can get all rural? Diamonds.

So, in quest of rural NJ or rural PA I think we'd win every time. Your route is really a winner. Loved what I saw, "...into the arms of America" was playing in my head from Bullet the Blue Sky.
Well it certainly is Rural :). But I did route through some small towns for fuel and food. I know people will be following this with bikes that don't hold 5 gallons or get 50mpg.

Day 2 starts going right through the middle of Williamsport because your sort of trapped by the Susquhana river, but you do get to see the little league field (the guys I went with heard this and actualy turned into the parking lot to check it out), then it turns Rural quick. There is some dirt roads, but once you get through Wellsboro (again, food and fuel) and start down the west side of the canyon, it probably 90% dirt roads. Between the overlook on the East side of the Canyon and Wellsboro the route could be adjusted to replace some blacktop with stone roads but when when we went through that part last year it was like 100 deg and we were hungry, and Wellsboro was Lunch.

I only saw to the middle of Day 3, and it was pretty much mostly dirt/stone roads. I bet the rest of the route to the start of the Trans WV trail is similar. (I hope to see it some day, but this year I ate my vacation up with long weekend trips to my RV that is in Oaks campground for 6 weeks.(still have 5 days vacation coming up in 2 weeks for the Rattlesnake Enduro).

I bet the trans PA trail is EXTRA BEAUTIFUL if you hit the right week in the fall when all the leaves are changing

Oh, and if you pick the wrong week in June, the Auto rally that starts near Wellsboro will really screw you up because the Trans PA trail and the Auto Rally share some of the same stone roads.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #68
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
I made this using a map overlay I downloaded and converted from Penn State that shows all the dirt roads in PA. the data is kind of old so some of the roads might have been paved. When I first laid out day 1 it showed around 60% was going to be stone road (according to this overlay). You saw that is not close to being true. Some of the roads that were supposed to be dirt looked like they had been paved for some time.
And where would one find this map overlay?
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:14 PM   #69
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Definitely agree, tell us about this overlay you speak of.

Do you need the other days ridden by the way?
Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 AM   #70
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:

Do you need the other days ridden by the way?
Rob had an idea "what if people coming passing through want to skip NJ? so I made a alternate day 1 route that starts in Hancock NY and connects with the current Day 2 route somewhere below Wellsboro.

The file is in the zip file I linked on post 25. It is named something like Alt-Day-1.gpx

I could not find a campground, but this Alt day 1 route needs to end somewhere around 2 or 3 hours west of wellsboro. This way the Day 2 route still goes to Wellsboro for food and fuel, then ends at Quiet Oaks (and the rest of the days still work out).

This file Alt-day-1 is only "on paper" as I have never ridden any of the area.

Someday someone is going to ride this route from Start (Fla?) to finish (ME?) But I think NY is still missing.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #71
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,329
anybody have this on google maps yet?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #72
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
anybody have this on google maps yet?
It was moved to this thread
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569

It will be finished this year.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #73
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 331
I have a New York route,

I live just North of Hancock and have posted a Catskills alternative connecting to the Trans Eastern Trail. You could pick it from the Trans PA connector to Hancock.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721895
CannonsvilleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #74
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Road closed

Just rode part of the TPAT as part of a mapping ride.

The road off of Deer Creek Rd just south of where you cross the West Branch Susquehanna River (just north of I-80) has a shiny new gate closing it.

I had to go down to Deer Creek Rd to Big Run road and head eastward until it picked the route back up.

Don't know if this is in an updated version of the file, just know it's in the version that I have.

The mapping I did was a new connector from the TPAT over to the northern tip of the TWVT. It's ridden, tracks sorted, just need to sort out the routes and waypoints before I kick it over to Chip for him to incorporate into an updated release. Would have like more dirt, but at least it's mostly rural with some fun dirt stuff along the way.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM   #75
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Just rode part of the TPAT as part of a mapping ride.

The road off of Deer Creek Rd just south of where you cross the West Branch Susquehanna River (just north of I-80) has a shiny new gate closing it.

I had to go down to Deer Creek Rd to Big Run road and head eastward until it picked the route back up.

Don't know if this is in an updated version of the file, just know it's in the version that I have.

The mapping I did was a new connector from the TPAT over to the northern tip of the TWVT. It's ridden, tracks sorted, just need to sort out the routes and waypoints before I kick it over to Chip for him to incorporate into an updated release. Would have like more dirt, but at least it's mostly rural with some fun dirt stuff along the way.
I need to find where you are talking about on the routes so I can add your new route around the gate into the route files. (give me a hint of some towns this is near so it's easier to find :) )

I am supposed to make a change to Day 5, and hope to find time tomorrow to update the .zip file on the website. Maybe I will be able to include your change at the same time.

So do you have a GPX track from the campground in Michaux to the start of the TWVT? Send it to me, I will PM you my email address.