ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #76
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler View Post
Just rode part of the TPAT as part of a mapping ride.

The road off of Deer Creek Rd just south of where you cross the West Branch Susquehanna River (just north of I-80) has a shiny new gate closing it.

I had to go down to Deer Creek Rd to Big Run road and head eastward until it picked the route back up.
Thanks for the PM NorthernTraveler. Now it makes sense. This is between Empurium and Black Moshannon (listening MadMaximim?).
I will add this fix you prescribed to that section of the route, then upload all the most current files I have (including finished day 5). Once I update the files, I will list the location of the files :). I can't do it now, I still have 3 hours of sunlight left and my bike is waiting :)

TowPro screwed with this post 06-15-2012 at 03:23 PM
TowPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #77
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I road parts of the connector to Hancock

I rode parts of the connector to Hancock.

There is a bridge out over Riley Creek near Meshoppen, where Knights Hill Road, intersects SR 3009. I often ignore closed signs, but this one wasn't a good candidate to try.

The detour was SR 3011 south, continue on Craige Hill Road, right on Singer road, rejoin the original track at Lomery Road.
CannonsvilleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 AM   #78
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,372
So, beyond that Cannonsville, did you ride the whole thing--tracks laid and sent to Towpro? Asking because I was thinking of proofing it this coming week, but if it's done and done well...might go to Maine.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #79
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonsvilleRider View Post
I rode parts of the connector to Hancock.

There is a bridge out over Riley Creek near Meshoppen, where Knights Hill Road, intersects SR 3009. I often ignore closed signs, but this one wasn't a good candidate to try.

The detour was SR 3011 south, continue on Craige Hill Road, right on Singer road, rejoin the original track at Lomery Road.
what was the route like? Was there enough stone road or was it all paved? Some day I will get up that way to ride it, but it's a long ride just for me to get to Hancock.
How many hours of a ride was it?
I figured based on 25mph (average time including stopping to eat, fuel, ect) that there needs to be a camping night somewhere in that route. That way you are in wellsboro at lunch time, which makes Crossfork (quiet oaks) workout to being the next stop for camping.

I will use your details above and try to figure it out, then make the change in the route. (got any GPX files of what you really did ride?)

I am falling behind. I have all the files ready to upload, but I need to fix (and add) 3 things.
I need to fix below Empurium as described by NorthernTraveler
I need to fix the hancock route as described by CannonsvilleRider
I need to migrate Jeff's michaux routes from paper to GPX.

I just been too busy the last week. I am on vacation all of 4th of july week, I will try to find time then.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #80
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,372
Hell yes.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #81
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

I have been trying to keep the TPAT thread over on this one.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=594569
Anyway, page 1, post 1 has URL for file download. Just updated this afternoon!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:46 PM   #82
CannonsvilleRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
I have tracks,

from 3 different days, I will pull them out and try to write down what I remember.
CannonsvilleRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #83
riderIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Rr

I posted an RR about TPAT,and more.
It was awesome.Thanks guys for making the route.
RR here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917982
riderIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #84
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderIN View Post
I posted an RR about TPAT,and more.
It was awesome.Thanks guys for making the route.
RR here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917982
Thanks for taking the time and reporting on your ride! If more people would try it and report, maybe they will finally include the TPAT in the Trans Eastern Trail . Did you find anything (on the trail as mapped) that was a problem for any motorcycle?

And thanks for riding the TPAT
Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #85
riderIN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
Thanks for taking the time and reporting on your ride! If more people would try it and report, maybe they will finally include the TPAT in the Trans Eastern Trail . Did you find anything (on the trail as mapped) that was a problem for any motorcycle?

And thanks for riding the TPAT
I rode everything on the file,except the Michaux forest files,and Quiet Oaks optional day ride.There were a couple of road closure due construction/always went thru to the actual construction site,many times was still passable,or construction guys let me through.Some place there was a closed gate,which I think seasonal,because other gates were open.Detour was always easy to find.
The roads are pretty easy for a big bike,even passed rough sections with no problem on loaded KLR./I'm an average rider/.The muddy part/see RR/ was hard,but that was after 2 days rain.
Gas stations are everywhere,cell phone service was a problem a few times./call family at lunchtime,breaktime,while in bigger town/,camping had no signal.
riderIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #86
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Glad you had fun. I love it up at Quiet Oaks, talk about being able to see stars (but that was when it was raining on you). I think that section you had mud on the road is a township road During the morning after you left Quiet Oaks. Never seen the state forest roads like that.
When I rode that section my buddy dumped his R100S. (but that's a sport tour bike complete with street tires on it)
Old 09-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #87
WoodsTripper
1 Track Mind

Oddometer: 19
I rode the portion from Benezette down to where it crosses the Tpike, where I jumped off to return home. I did it in 2 days, staying over in State College. Although I've ridden much of the northern portions of this before I even heard of the TPAT, the rest of the track to the south is a very impressive ride. Big bike friendly but enough dirt and scenery to keep anyone happy. Very doable 2-up for those of us with a seasoned pillion. Only thing I would have changed on setup is that I would have switched to my extra wheelset with TKCs since there's a lot more dirt/gravel than I expected - a good thing. Much of the woods along the track S and SE of State College (Penn Roosevelt, for example) contains some super big timber and old pine forest. The overall scenery and serenity (I saw almost no one on most of these gravel roads) is Grade A.

I only had 2 issues with the Track - 1) On the Day 3 Track, south of Caledonia, after you cross the W Branch Susquehanna, there is a gate at the road to take you down along the river. Looks permanent. Easy go around if you stay on Deer Creek Rd and take the next left on Big Run Rd. 2) The Day 5 Track optional loop onto Licking Creek to Spruce Gap to Pine Ridge may as well be deleted since Pine Ridge is permanently gated and only open during buck season. Too bad, it's beautiful up in that section.

Otherwise, the Track is accurate and a wonderful ride. There are some sections where you don't touch pavement for hours. Thanks to TowPro and others who've contributted to this route. Super nice way to adv enjoy our state. Mrs. WoodsTripper and I already had a trip planned to Wellsboro in mid-Oct so those tracks will come in handy. Looking forward to see what the eastern section is like.

WoodsTripper screwed with this post 09-30-2013 at 08:46 PM
WoodsTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #88
TowPro OP
Healing time Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsTripper View Post

Otherwise, the Track is accurate and a wonderful ride. There are some sections where you don't touch pavement for hours. Thanks to TowPro and others who've contributted to this route. Super nice way to adv enjoy our state. Mrs. WoodsTripper and I already had a trip planned to Wellsboro in mid-Oct so those tracks will come in handy. Looking forward to see what the eastern section is like.
the first day's route starting at Trans NJ trail has the most road, but it also has some of the best "non blacktop" in the tower road section