User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #376
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,219
BUMPORINO! FF's.

My wife's first bike is this, still in the garage. 1971 I think, 125. The beast behind it is a 1976 Yamaha TY 250. Still competes and runs awesome.

Here is Mick Andrew applying his autograph on the tank.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #377
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,699
With the 2012 NMTA season wrapping up next month, I am very happy to say that my old bitsa-bike Reflex "Outright Junk" has secured the Twinshock championship. Not too bad for a bike that was built out of 3 piles of parts destined for the landfill.

To be honest, the only real competition we had all year long was Lineaway and his nifty 200 Cota. When he competed, that is. Lineaway skipped several Twinshock events to ride his Raga in Expert, or to mind his son who is doing very well, moving up through the ranks. Several times this year I was the only one in Twinshock so the championship points added up quickly. I really don't like having no one to compete against, but that's the way it shook out this year. Several club members have expressed interest in riding Twinshock next year, and I wish them well. I'm going back to my beloved 4RT, and giving OJ a well deserved break.

For those who came in late, OJ has been modified yet it remains frightfully stock. It's not a...bad... Trialer, but it certainly is not as nice as genuine same-era Trials bike. I competed on it because it's what I had. The breakdown is as follows -

The Good

B&J racing's awesome skidplate. It is the most expensive single part on the whole bike, and totally worth every cent. I am certain that the bike would have folded in half long ago without it.

The footpeg and mount modifications. Widened the pegs using a cut-in-half Beta peg, and welded tabs onto the frame to drop the peg mounts approximately 1 1/4 inch. Much better control -

Subframe -to-main-spar frame bracing. Helped get rid of that "loosey-goosey" feeling in the rough stuff, and made the bike feel much more stable on hard landings -

Advancing the cam timing 6 degrees using a $12 (delivered!) adjustable cam sprocket from Parts Unlimited. Single biggest torque-increasing mod, very inexpensive, easy to install.

Carb mods, airbox restrictor removal, XR100R K&N air filter (fits right in the Reflex airbox). Good, crisp power, no flameouts.

Silly bar risers. They work for my height and poor ability -

9/50 gearing. These things have a somewhat speedy primary gear ratio so I dropped the final drive ratio quite a bit. If I want more speed or "hit" I upshift. Simple as that.

The Bad

The engine is beginning to show it's age. OJ is starting to smoke pretty good when cold, and the camchain is so stretched out that there is no more adjustment left. The camchain clattering is now very loud. The cam sprocket mod, while cool, somewhat increased the cranking pressure to the point that an XR-style bar mounted compression release would be a very good idea to take some stress off of the somewhat tender kickstarter gear assembly. I'm not a big fan of the kickstarter-mounted decompressor, and the cable broke anyway.

The frame had been developing stress cracks before the frame bracing. I merely stop-drilled 'em earlier in the year. Since I've no idea of the history of the frame before I got it, they may very well have started long ago. No matter, it's time to grid and weld.

The head and base gaskets are now leaking quite a bit, as well as the left engine cover gasket.

Both stock chrome steel rims are now bent.

OJ still does not steer nor stop worth a damn.

The Ugly

That would be the whole bike. The fuel tank is still the same dented, rusted tank that was the best of the 2 I had started with (the other tank took the brunt of the frame breaking and folding in half on the bike it was attached to), the frame has Mopar Hemi Orange paint on the parts I modified (does not match the orange that Honda used), it never had side covers, and the latest duct tape seat cover is already looking hideous. No matter, OJ (shown here in Roswell last month) is a championship winner!

The Future

So what's next for ol' OJ? Not sure, to be quite honest. If it were up to Gordy and NMTrailboss, a viking funeral would be in order, but it's not theirs so screw 'em. Part of me thinks that fixing the major problems while leaving the patina would be neat, while the other, bigger part of me thinks that hootching up the old wreck would be cool. I envision an Eddie Lejeune-style Rothmans replica, white frame, gold anodized alloy wheels, along with one of those fiberglass seat and tank covers (using an aluminum fuel tank under the cover) from the UK, along with a nice throaty aftermarket exhaust. Just not sure. What do you think?

brewtus screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 05:13 PM
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #378
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Oh go ahead, cut the frame and make it turn! Me I might fix the master link clip that wore off some time this year. Damn montesa has been totally maitenance free except for the cage on one of the main bearings cracking at the worst time giving you the win for the year! Way to tough it out Chris!!!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:39 AM   #379
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
TLR with higher compression, air box mods, pit-bike carb and CDI unit, with straight through large volume exhaust, performs pretty good.

Handling can be improved by steeper steering angle, good rear shocks, fat bar converted top yoke, and ideally modern 38mm forks.

Getting rid of the very poor stock suspension though will improve an otherwise stock bike a great deal, and is well worth doing even if everything else stays standard.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:42 AM   #380
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Don't put OJ up to soon, MWVTA has a second season coming. At least 10 events and may go to 12 or 14 if you and Bob would TM at SanYo for a vintage trials.
Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #381
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
We`ll have to look at that!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #382
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gesser View Post
Don't put OJ up to soon, MWVTA has a second season coming. At least 10 events and may go to 12 or 14 if you and Bob would TM at SanYo for a vintage trials.

Don't stop there, keep talking.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:21 AM   #383
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Don't stop there, keep talking.
Man of few words But a spring or fall event at SanYo would sure help fill out the schedule for next year. As our bud Chuck would say "Trials Up" !!!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:54 AM   #384
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Man of few words But a spring or fall event at SanYo would sure help fill out the schedule for next year. As our bud Chuck would say "Trials Up" !!!
Okay. You got me.

I guess now I have to....start.....THINKING.....about.....maybe...... the......possibility......of.......perhaps......re placing the camchain and tensioners in OJ.

On second thought, nah. I'll do it on the TY80 again.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #385
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,560
Quote:
At least 10 events and may go to 12 or 14 if you and Bob would TM at SanYo for a vintage trials.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #386
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,277
Let that POS reflex die a merciful death.
it had a good life and is resting comfortably in the garage.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #387
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post

Garage???? Hardly.....
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #388
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
Don't retire OJ and go back to the dark side stay on the "Light Side"
Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #389
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Don't retire OJ and go back to the dark side stay on the "Light Side"

Geez, 'ol Geez. Nothing about OJ would ever be considered "light".

In fact, didn't you sell one of these (tastily modified though) at Roswell just last month? You know how "light" these aren't!

brewtus screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 10:26 AM
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM   #390
Old Geezer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Gess, 'ol Gess. Nothing about OJ would ever be considered "light".

In fact, didn't you sell one of these (tastily modified though) at Roswell just last month? You know how "light" these aren't!

True, but I have never been a 4 stroke fan. And old John C was so in love with the TLR I had to let her go.