Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM   #406
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Brewtus, time to get OJ up to speed. Less than a month away before our trials. Got the Cota 200 running again! Took it apart and found nothing obvious wrong. Replaced one main (looked like it got hot). Back together and runs better than ever.
Had to make a base gasket.(Compression seems better from the homemade gasket). Went from 3 clutch springs back to the stock six. (So much for the easy clutch pull) Added a ball bearing to the detent spring. Maybe it will stay in second this year.
Next week new tires. Also have new sprockets and chain coming. Found a one tooth smaller cs sprocket. That should solve my low end problem with the small engine!!!

Yeah, less than a month. I plan on camping at SanYo next weekend setting sections. OJ may make it, it may not. It has not even been started since the beginning of last November.

Good work on the Cota. Did you decide not to compete on your Bultaco(s)?
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #407
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Those things must weigh another 30 lbs!!
lineaway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #408
LarryDawg
trials nut

Oddometer: 74
well since we talking OJ bikes

I have owned this one twice. bought it from bike shop owner who completely rebuilt it with factory parts 17 yrs ago, then put it shed because he couldnt find exaust or carb for it. ive owned it since 2006, took two years to find carb and exaust.. it runs decent and Sting will Attest it will pull my Fat Ass around pretty good!! since ive tried to sell it twice and no one is interested it is going to get the rake angle changed, I made two "stop Sign side covers for it tonite (this morning) im going to widen the pegs and lower them 1", I located the correct size exaust tubing to go from front head pipe to the back so i can install a Super Trapp muffler/spark arrestor on it..
I hope to beable to come and ride with you New Mexican Trialers this summer!!
Brewtus if you have extra seat pan I can sew you a seat cover, mine is hand made from a piece of Vinyl I cut off of a black couch out at the County Landfill!! I would save you a ton on duct tape, and you would then beable to purchase more of that So called Beer you drink!!
Larry Dawg
Old 04-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #409
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Nice Larry!

I'll look around and see if I have an extra seat pan. Duct tape covers are no problem for me though, as I usually have a bunch of duct tape in my Abductor van.....

Don't wait until this summer to come ride with us. We are hosting the first rounds of the Mountain West Vintage Trials Association series in a couple of weeks. More info on their website -

http://mtwestvintagetrials.org/

They also have a thread here. Drag Sting along and ride with us!!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #410
LarryDawg
trials nut

hey Brewtus

I m going to have to have hand surgery both hands so Im not sure when i be able to get up that way...hopefully end of summer
Larrydawg
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #411
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryDawg View Post
I m going to have to have hand surgery both hands so Im not sure when i be able to get up that way...hopefully end of summer
Larrydawg

Heal up well and soon. Come see us when you can. Tell Mitch I said hi.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #412
LarryDawg
trials nut

offer still stands for seat

If you decide to give it a fixin. Remember less duct tape, more Beer!
Dawg
Old 04-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #413
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,476
This thread could use a bump...

So I picked up an '86 Reflex, full street legal and all, and I'm "doing the do" with it. First thing was to get it to fit my 6'2" frame. I relocated the footpegs per some advice from another inmate(?) by hacking off the post in back of the peg and moving it to the front, with a washer to take up the space left by the saw kerf. Swapped springs side to side. These footpegs were on my KLR650 (KLR footpegs fit a TRL200 Reflex - fitting eh?). They are some chinese knockoffs of Moose Racing pedals with a half inch rearward set. Work well. (They have to be chinese they were so cheap but they actually have the Moose Racing logo stamped on them. The gall!)

Up front I pirated the risers and bar off my KLX (looking droopy in the background) and they work pretty well. The bar is a Tusk Chubb fat bar in the ATV High bend. Got both risers and bar from Rocky Mtn ATV/MC. Props to that outfit - they are a pretty good online (mega)store. The Rox risers aren't cheap, $72-77, but they work so well, especially in this application. The Tusk bar is Rocky Mtn's house brand and I like 'em. In fact I had to order a new set to put back on the KLX. In silver this time.

I've had it about a week, ridden it mainly in the driveway, out behind the house, and crashed it ito a ditch a couple miles from home this morning. Broke and replace the clutch lever. A good start!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #414
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
This thread could use a bump...

So I picked up an '86 Reflex, full street legal and all, and I'm "doing the do" with it. First thing was to get it to fit my 6'2" frame. I relocated the footpegs per some advice from another inmate(?) by hacking off the post in back of the peg and moving it to the front, with a washer to take up the space left by the saw kerf. Swapped springs side to side. These footpegs were on my KLR650 (KLR footpegs fit a TRL200 Reflex - fitting eh?). They are some chinese knockoffs of Moose Racing pedals with a half inch rearward set. Work well. (They have to be chinese they were so cheap but they actually have the Moose Racing logo stamped on them. The gall!)

Up front I pirated the risers and bar off my KLX (looking droopy in the background) and they work pretty well. The bar is a Tusk Chubb fat bar in the ATV High bend. Got both risers and bar from Rocky Mtn ATV/MC. Props to that outfit - they are a pretty good online (mega)store. The Rox risers aren't cheap, $72-77, but they work so well, especially in this application. The Tusk bar is Rocky Mtn's house brand and I like 'em. In fact I had to order a new set to put back on the KLX. In silver this time.

I've had it about a week, ridden it mainly in the driveway, out behind the house, and crashed it ito a ditch a couple miles from home this morning. Broke and replace the clutch lever. A good start!

Your bars are too high, and too far forward. To help fit taller riders the thing to do is lower the rests, by cutting off the mounts and rewelding them so rests are level with bottom of skid plate. Try doing that and fitting fat bar conversion, using trials not ATV or MX bend bars, and the bike will be improved tremendously. As it is at the moment, I would think its fine for trail riding, but not good if you want to trial it seriously.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #415
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Great first mods! Twinshocker is right about the trialsbend, but you are off to a good start! Have you geared it down yet?

Brewtus the author of this thread just put on an awesome vintage trials. Here is a link to an awesome looking reflex. He left the fiberglass shell off for the event!

http://blackcatvintagetrials.com/201...tie-break.aspx
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #416
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Quoth Twin-Shocker

Quote:
Your bars are too high, and too far forward. To help fit taller riders the thing to do is lower the rests, by cutting off the mounts and rewelding them so rests are level with bottom of skid plate. Try doing that and fitting fat bar conversion, using trials not ATV or MX bend bars, and the bike will be improved tremendously. As it is at the moment, I would think its fine for trail riding, but not good if you want to trial it seriously.
Thanks for the observation. I understand the importance between bars and pegs, steering and CG, or at least I'm learning. I looked around the i-net trying to find pictures of proper trials setups and it seem that when standing on the pegs, knees slightly flexed, the hadgrips were about 5-6 inches above the knees. The original bars on this thing were at my knees and the current setup is somewhere in that 5-6 inch zone. But hey, I'm new at this and open to suggestion. And the bars can be rotated back no sweat. Maybe I should take a picture with me on the bike and offer it for critique.

And where does one find trials fat bars? Not that I want to spend more dough, the Tusk bars being relatively affordable at less than $40. Could be I'll end up with a spare set.

The peg lowering is in the cards - neighbor up the street who welds is interested in the project.

Fun project!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #417
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Great first mods! Twinshocker is right about the trialsbend, but you are off to a good start! Have you geared it down yet?

Brewtus the author of this thread just put on an awesome vintage trials. Here is a link to an awesome looking reflex. He left the fiberglass shell off for the event!

http://blackcatvintagetrials.com/201...tie-break.aspx
Cool link. I aspire to make my Honda something like that. The rider, however, needs a lot of work!

Edit: A 10T front sprocket is on the way.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:46 AM   #418
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
Try doing that and fitting fat bar conversion, using trials not ATV or MX bend bars, and the bike will be improved tremendously.
My bike has Domino trials bars and I can't tell the difference between them and mx bars. Why are trials bars better?
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #419
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Cool link. I aspire to make my Honda something like that. The rider, however, needs a lot of work!

Edit: A 10T front sprocket is on the way.

While Twinshocker and I rarely (if ever) agree on anything, I gotta go with him on the bars. ATV bars are too narrow and have too much pullback to work well in Trials. Renthal makes Trials bend Fatbars, I have a set on my 4RT. Otherwise, it looks like you are off to a good start.

I've ridden the Reflex in the link. JC bought himself a nifty scoot, it works well. FYI, that's Lineaway he's having the ride-off against in the pictures. Lineaway did not have to ride the last time, he had it wrapped up, but hoots from the audience got him to do it. I had just opened up a fresh beer, and I wanted a show to go along with it!

Drag your 'Flex down here sometime and I'll show you how to properly crash it!
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #420
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVCoop View Post
My bike has Domino trials bars and I can't tell the difference between them and mx bars. Why are trials bars better?
It`s not they are better. It`s all in the bend. It would be like putting ape hangers on a mx bike, for me to ride with an mx bar.