User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #511
Thats_a_Five
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Exhaust Mods

I agree, that I would rather not do any irreversible mods to the exhaust. the system is in very good, original condition. This bike is still street legal and I also have other bikes for competition. I do like a quiet bike and this one is so quiet I can sneak up on Bambi.

I will give the cam gear advance a try when the part arrives. Maybe if I ever assemble that box of parts into a full TLR200, I will try a different exhaust.

Thanks
Thats_a_Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #512
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
The stock TLR intake, ignition and exhaust systems kill the power pretty much stone dead. Stock unmodified bikes have around 8bhp at the rear wheel, and are not that great if you intend to ride in competitive events.

In terms of cost modifying the stock exhaust is FOC for anyone who can use a MIG welder, and can get a used car exhaust to provide the parts needed. A very low cost item is the Chinese CDI unit, which will fit a TLR after simple wiring changes, and while working best with higher compression motors, do improve the stock low compression ones as well.

The following are the best possible modifications for a stock TLR, where there is any intention to use it in serious competition:

1) Exhaust system alterations as outlined earlier.
2) Removal of flame trap and intake silencer elements from stock air box, fitment of foam pod filter onto stub fabricated to fit into intake hose.
3) Replacement of very often badly worn OE carb, with new Taiwanese direct OE replacement.
4) Fit Chinese pitbike CDI unit, which provides stronger spark, more spark advance at lower RPM, and does not have the retard function built into the OE units, which on the dyno acts exactly like a rev limiter, restricting rear wheel power to something like 8bhp.

None of the above changes are required on bikes not being used competitively, and I get the feeling the restrictions on the TLR were designed by Honda to help make the machines bulletproof reliable, and difficult/impossible to damage, even if being used for long periods at high rpm, during trail or road riding.

All in all the TLR is a bike which can be easily and dramatically improved for very little money, and as this is the case I find it surprising that most people seem happy to ride the stockers, which arent really that much fun, when compared back to back with a modified machine?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #513
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,699
'Ol OJ is not doing much these days, so I thought I would get the old warhorse out and use it to help set/ribbon sections for our upcoming National in Sipapu. Not may pics (too busy), but did manage to get a couple -

I'm trying my best not to look tired in this photo -

We got a lot of work done this weekend. It's shaping up to be an awesome event. Who's coming??
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #514
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,243
Cool pics Brewtus. Good luck with the event!

I have a new starting regimen for my TLR:

1) Get out the Swiss Army knife.
2) Flip out the bottle opener/screwdriver.
3) Crack open a beer (actually that's later) - Screw the idle screw in all the way.
4) Start it up, first kick.
5) Screw the idle screw out as it warms up.

That's been working this week.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #515
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Footpeg Relocation Variation...and Slickrock

I finally got around to getting with my neighbor Eric and relocating the footpegs on Mr. TLR (working name Otis). Here's a picture documentary:

Otis on his way to surgery:

I'd cut off the old mounts and having kind of butchered them (a hacksaw worked better than a cut-off wheel) Eric had to add some metal. That's real thin material below the hole:

Since the hole was there I decided to use it. I cut a couple 1.5 x 3 inch pieces of 1/4 inch steel and drilled a 10mm hole in each and bolted it in place. This was nice because I could play around with the positioning then bolt it down for welding. I ended up going with the esthetics of having the add-on follow the lines of the frame rather than pointing straight down so the pegs ended up pretty far back. More on that later.

Eric at work:

Finished product:

So the pegs ended up pretty far back which at first had me concerned. The front end came up almost too easily and I was afraid I'd created an uncontrollable wheely monster. But last weekend I took it down to Moab for a it's first real shakedown cruise since I got it and my fears were allayed. It worked great (front suspension excepting).

Me and Otis on the Slickrock Trail:

Glamour shot:

Fins 'N Things Jeep trail:

Otis hiked right up this stuff, except for one spot where I would have wanted a spotter. Most climbs he tractored right up in second gear, first gear being for something real technical or a real steep descent.

Impressions:

- That's one torquey motor!
- Front brake is adequate but the front suspension, in its current state, needs work. Disassembly, cleaning, and fresh oil will be a start.
- The peg location is fine. No problem keeping the front end down but really easy to loft on demand in the first three gears, especially with a little terrain help. Steering is still a slack but oh well.
- Chain is a little loose. I adjusted the cam a couple notches but the chain loosened right back up. The chain may be history.

Overall I'm pleased with the little beast. With some suspension work, new chain, engine tuneup, etc., it will be quite acceptable. I like it. Got a bunch of appreciative comment on it too. .
Old 10-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #516
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

The footrest mount area on the TLR is very thin pressed steel, and any alterations to the mounts need to be done with that in mind.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:05 PM   #517
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
The footrest mount area on the TLR is very thin pressed steel, and any alterations to the mounts need to be done with that in mind.
You are right. We welded all around the new mount and caught all the solid steel on the frame. And I left the 10mm hardened steel bolt in there just in case the whole thing lets go, which I don't think it will. Sucker appears to be pretty sturdy. Underside (might just be tacked at this point):

I took the washer out between the nut and the frame to improve the chain clearance a bit
Old 10-04-2013, 01:06 PM   #518
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
I finally got around to getting with my neighbor Eric and relocating the footpegs on Mr. TLR (working name Otis). Here's a picture documentary:

Otis on his way to surgery:

I'd cut off the old mounts and having kind of butchered them (a hacksaw worked better than a cut-off wheel) Eric had to add some metal. That's real thin material below the hole:

Since the hole was there I decided to use it. I cut a couple 1.5 x 3 inch pieces of 1/4 inch steel and drilled a 10mm hole in each and bolted it in place. This was nice because I could play around with the positioning then bolt it down for welding. I ended up going with the esthetics of having the add-on follow the lines of the frame rather than pointing straight down so the pegs ended up pretty far back. More on that later.

Eric at work:

Finished product:

So the pegs ended up pretty far back which at first had me concerned. The front end came up almost too easily and I was afraid I'd created an uncontrollable wheely monster. But last weekend I took it down to Moab for a it's first real shakedown cruise since I got it and my fears were allayed. It worked great (front suspension excepting).

Me and Otis on the Slickrock Trail:

Glamour shot:

Fins 'N Things Jeep trail:

Otis hiked right up this stuff, except for one spot where I would have wanted a spotter. Most climbs he tractored right up in second gear, first gear being for something real technical or a real steep descent.

Impressions:

- That's one torquey motor!
- Front brake is adequate but the front suspension, in its current state, needs work. Disassembly, cleaning, and fresh oil will be a start.
- The peg location is fine. No problem keeping the front end down but really easy to loft on demand in the first three gears, especially with a little terrain help. Steering is still a slack but oh well.
- Chain is a little loose. I adjusted the cam a couple notches but the chain loosened right back up. The chain may be history.

Overall I'm pleased with the little beast. With some suspension work, new chain, engine tuneup, etc., it will be quite acceptable. I like it. Got a bunch of appreciative comment on it too. .
If you don't mind, I'd like to know what gearing you are running. It's finally getting cool enough here to get my, new to me TRL out and start getting it ready to ride. I've had it several months and got it running pretty good, but put it away waiting for cooler weather. Got some great trails and trials riding in the "area", so I need to set it up for OLD GUY dirt riding.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:44 PM   #519
neilking
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
I don't have that much of a problem with the peg position. What I had a problem with is the lack of power. Now that's been taken care of. Chinese carb off a Lifan 200 along with the ignition module, cam off a honda 200 ATV. Had to custom drill jets which took awhile.
13 Factory Beta 250
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:57 PM   #520
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bold2getold View Post
If you don't mind, I'd like to know what gearing you are running. It's finally getting cool enough here to get my, new to me TRL out and start getting it ready to ride. I've had it several months and got it running pretty good, but put it away waiting for cooler weather. Got some great trails and trials riding in the "area", so I need to set it up for OLD GUY dirt riding.
I think I have a 10 up front and a 40 something in the back - its whatever came with the bike. I'll look it up when I get off work late tonight.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #521
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,236
Quote:
I think I have a 10 up front and a 40 something in the back - its whatever came with the bike. I'll look it up when I get off work late tonight.
Thanks, I've read the 10/50 stuff for trials comp. But it looks like you liked that combination for a little more general use.
2bold2getold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #522
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,325
I brought my TLR200 up to date last month. I've had it for over 10 years, competing in Twinshock trials with it, really enjoyed the bike, but realised there were certainly issues with it. This is the photo I put up on ADVrider in about 2002 when I just finished the rebuild.

First thing is to get rid of that horrible airfilter. I had this hardly used K&N lying around, and it was a perfect fit. I also took the restrictor out of the top of the airbox.

I have always intended to make a complete new exhaust for it, but maybe I should experiment first. This is inside the stock muffler.

Gone.

No one would ever know....

I also pulled this thing out of the tail pipe.

I'm a bit confused over the cam thing...are we advancing the cam timing 6 degrees, or just the cam 6 degrees? Following the herd I did the half tooth thing, but might go to a full tooth someday, that's closer to 6 degrees of cam timing at the crank, where it is always measured.

Now the footpegs. A little on the robust side, but couldn't be bothered pulling a whole length out of the steel rack just for a couple of little pieces, so found this stuff on the rubbish rack outside.

Sticky pooed to the frame, I was going to add some support up the inside seeing as they are only butt welds, but they seem strong enough for now.

Final product.

12 years ago when I was getting this bike together I wanted a 9 tooth sprocket, but were not available anywhere, so had to get an 11 tooth, from the USA. Now you can get a 9 tooth no problem, got one coming from Talon. I went up to a 50 on the rear, but it's still too tall...1st gear in most sections. I was expecting a totally new bike, but it's just the same bike a bit different. More power for sure, but the trial I went to a couple of weeks ago wasn't a trial where I could use my more responsive engine, and didn't notice the pegs too much either. Next weekend we have a trial at a venue we've used a lot, so it will be a better test....hope my 9 tooth arrives in time.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #523
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
You are right. We welded all around the new mount and caught all the solid steel on the frame. And I left the 10mm hardened steel bolt in there just in case the whole thing lets go, which I don't think it will. Sucker appears to be pretty sturdy. Underside (might just be tacked at this point):

I took the washer out between the nut and the frame to improve the chain clearance a bit

Wonder if your kickstart still clears the footrest? And from the look of what you have done the mount itself isnt going to break off, but there isnt anything to prevent it bending, which will mean footrests droop downwards after a while.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #524
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

I think my gearing is a 9/44. Its a 44 in back for sure and now that I think of it I believe it's a 9 up front. Plenty low enough for us dink-around guys with no real aspirations of competing.

Nice bike Motu. Alloy wheels is on my upgrade list.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:31 AM   #525
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Most noticeable change on a TLR is altering the steering angle. Easy upgrades are pitbike CDI unit, (which has pretty much the same effect as changing cam timing, as well as giving a better spark), removing the and replacing the very restrictive OE air filter with something better, and a Cheng Wey carb, which is a bolt on direct replacement for OE.