Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
At last......................lol
New thread... "Tshocks..."
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #62
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,717
More OJ fun. Lineaway spent a week prepping a Reflux he recently purchased to ride this weekend. So Bob, what do you think of these things?

Lineaway's bike had spent the past 10 years outside, so the patina was evident. Sure runs good, though. I discovered a couple of vintage stickers still barely visible on the tank.

M&M Honda, the dealership now part of the R&S Group, and an Alma Mater of both NMTrialboss and myself -

I had not seen one of these stickers in years. Evidently the previous owner was a Honda fan -

An overall shot of Lineaway's 'Flux -

Bob sure made it look good. He had a 3-point day to my 11 in Twinshock "A" -

brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 AM   #63
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post

Bob sure made it look good. He had a 3-point day to my 11 in Twinshock "A" -

Surely it comes down to all of the practice time he's had on the bike...

Looks like fun! Hopefully your twin shock class takes off.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #64
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,660
Quote:
M&M Honda, the dealership now part of the R&S Group, and an Alma Mater of both NMTrialboss and myself -

Very cool! And that's actually a very early M&M Honda sticker because it still shows the location in El Paso on it!

After riding 48 sections yesterday (morning & afternoon), lineaway needs to see where he could possibly shave 3 points from the morning loop.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #65
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
How did the riders on twin-shocks do in comparison to those on moderns riding the same course I wonder?
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #66
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
How did the riders on twin-shocks do in comparison to those on moderns riding the same course I wonder?
Twin shock "A" chose to ride our Amateur line in this event with 3 riders and scored 3, 11, & 13 points. The top modern bike Amateur rider had 12 and the rest were high 30's and 40's. To be fair, the top twin shock rider was lineaway who is a solid Expert rider and 2nd was Brewtus who is an Intermediate rider both riding Amateur on the Reflex's.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #67
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Standard of rider does make an awful lot of difference, but your result does seem to say that a good rider on a TS can easily cope with easier type sections?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:12 PM   #68
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
wow impressive guys
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #69
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Quote:
Standard of rider does make an awful lot of difference, but your result does seem to say that a good rider on a TS can easily cope with easier type sections?
I would say yes to that!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #70
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
wow impressive guys

Thanks. I am, however, very sore today after wrestling around that pig yesterday. This thing needs to go on a diet.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #71
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

If you can up the power a little and install the right gearing, the TLR becomes a lot nicer to ride, and the excess weight isnt quite as noticeable.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #72
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
If you can up the power a little and install the right gearing, the TLR becomes a lot nicer to ride, and the excess weight isnt quite as noticeable.

Hmmm, methinks you are not getting it.

The whole point to the build and the thread is to have fun on a bike that I don't have $400 total invested into, and that price includes the cost of the gas for the truck to go to different parts of the state to gather up the bits that made up this bike. As I've stated before, the gearing is fine, the ergonomics are improving, and the power is being left alone. I have absolutely NO plans to hot-rod, frame-mod, or otherwise try to make something out of this thing that it's not. It it there to compete in TS this year, as is. If I really wanted to have a vintage Honda trials bike project, I would start with a genuine vintage Honda trials bike such as an RTL, TLM, etc. The only work being done to get this old warhorse through a Trial is on my skills.

Plans still call for raising the bars and widening the pegs. After that, I may recover the seat. That is where the "mods" end, period. Heck, someone offers to trade it for a gennie vintage trials bike, it's outta here. I don't see that happening, so it stays in its scruffy persona. I appreciate your suggestions for improving old OJ, but it's just not happening. I have MANY other projects I'm currently ignoring, so I'm not about to add OJ to the list. Thanks though.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #73
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Surprisingly a properly modified TLR is something that works better than any vintage Honda I have ever tried (RTL, TM260R, RS200/250, Seeley, TL250, TL125). Its also got the big advantage of costing a lot less money than any of the bikes mentioned earlier, and has easily available cheap parts.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:08 PM   #74
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Hmmm, okay. I have no basis of comparison, since I've never been lucky enough to ride an RTL/TLM/Seely.

But you gotta admit, the cool factor of those bikes is SO much higher than a Reflex.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:15 PM   #75
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,186
Quote:
The whole point to the build and the thread is to have fun on a bike that I don't have $400 total invested into, ......the ergonomics are improving,

being the cheap bastard I am I totally understand ... my speedway/ flat track racing efforts are known as Team No Budget ...and not in the limitless since but as in no funds

for the ergo's on my TLR I installed some ATV bars that where at the local bike shop for $9 (only bought a pair cause none of the ones in my garage where not tall enough) they work with my 6'5" frame very well and have releaved alot of the stress on my lower back...they are a little narrow at 30-31" ( I would have to measure to be sure) but that has not been a problem for me yet
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote