Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
vinik OP
slow learner

Oddometer: 36
Across Israel via drz400's!

Hi folks!
My name is Boris, I'm a beginner adventurer from Israel.
I have been dreaming of a motorcycle since i was 3! and now (a few months back) i finally have one!
I bought a used drz400s 2000 with lots of treats such as a fcr carb.
any way.. il tell you all about it in my rr which il post tonight. but for now, heres a teaser!
vinik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Dessert Storm
Dances With Drunks

Oddometer: 753
Looking good already, Boris!

More, much more please

(Manti are dumplings not all too different from gyoza or pelmini) - Tourist.
Dessert Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #4
Curryinahurry
Born 2 Ride

Oddometer: 527
Thumb Good one Boris

G'day Boris,

Great start mate...

Looking forward to your RR!!

And welcome to the asylum!!

Cheers

Bala
2006 - Yamaha R1 - SOLD
2005 - Yamaha R1 (Disappeared into thin air!!)
Curryinahurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
vinik OP
slow learner

First of all, let me start by saying Israel is a safe place to travel! I have heard foreigners before saying its dangerous, well, it is not.
Most of Israels citizens are not religious, not to mention, fanatics.
If i can sum-up this country in a few words, i'd say its small, historic, inspiring, and with an amazing diversity in everything; nature, cultures, religion, architecture and so on, and so on... there are some areas you should keep away from, but I would feel pretty safe even there.

any way, with that being out of the way. let me introduce my self again.
I'm Boris. I'm 23 years young.I ride a suzuki drz400s with some modifications.
This is my first motorcycle, and this ride was one of my first rides on it offroad.
I'm somewhat familiar with Israel country side, roads, and off roads (being a small country and all) from my 4x4 travels around this parts. around the year Im a part time working law student, but when i got some time I travel.

this is me, just out of Raanana, the begining of the trip, but we will get there soon.

I did this trip with a guy named Omri. but i wont tell you much about him as i dont know if he would like that. I will say though that we met in an Israeli motorcycle enthusiast forum (www.fullgaz.co.il). he is my age, rides the same motorcycle only in yellow and mine is better! but he has a bit more experience in it then me.
This is Omri:

Our plan was to ride around Israel and across it, from the farthest Northern point (mt' Hermon) to the farthest Southern point (Eilat). we didnt make it all the way at both ends for reasons you will find out as this report unfolds.

here is the very rough idea of what we had in mind (bear in mind its just a rough sketch of the directions and ares we wanted to go threw and not an actual path.)

from Raanana to Breihat Ram (Lake Ram)

Lake Ram to Jordan river through Mt Hermon.

Jordan river to cafe Lido (A bikers stop on the dead sea)

Dead sea to Ramon crater

Ramon crater to Eilat

anouther post in about an hour or two. wait for it!
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 PM   #6
ricnepalm
Gittin' Along

Oddometer: 85
in

my brother-in-law is from Israel and raves about how beautiful it is. more picts please!

78 BMW r60/5
ricnepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
zoki1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
great RR for now!!! but LEHLAAVOT!!!.waiing for more . pictures from ISRAEL....
zoki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #9
vinik OP
slow learner

Omri is a "plan first, then ride" kinda guy. I'm more of a "lets just go, i'm pretty sure its that way" kind of a guy. I left the navigation in his hands and follow'd for a huge chunk of this trip, then again, when the GPS fail'd us I lead the way, and quite successfully i might add.

The night before we head out, Omri decided he wanted some stuff tuned on the bike. he install'd that new head light and adjusted some things he wanted. at that time I packed all of my stuff on my bike. as its my first time going on this kind of a trip i wasn't sure how the bike would handle with all that stuff on the rack and sitting quite high i may add. I decided to ride to Omri's house fully loaded to check it out, and see his new head light at the same time.
when i arrived he told me i took too many unnecessary things, I disagreed and ignored him. as we were talking he was bending the clutch leaver thingie that connects it to the handlebar (i dont know how to call it). long story short, the next day our trip was delay'd by 3-4 hours because we had to find a shop that works that early, buy and connect this thingie that he broke.

this is my bike fully loaded in Omri's back yard:

and this is Omri's:

finally we headed out! we exited Raanana and entered a trail Omri knew as he often rode this parts.
Before this trip i rode my motorcycle offroad just once or twice and it was solo! I told Omri to take it easy and he did, but i was still dragging behind and struggling to controll my bike.
The moment we hit some sand i crashed at a low speed on my side. Omri zoomed away and when he realized i wasn't behind him, he back track'd to find me trying to pick up my bike. he helped me up and gave me a realy quick lesson in offroading. basically he just said: "if you dont want to fall, use the throttle instead of the brakes". i said: "dude but its scary as it is!" and he answered "if you want to ride better,you have to grow those balls".

This is where I crashed for the first time this trip:

we carried on and I did as Omri said. I concentrated on not pooping my pants while i added more and more gas each turn.. I LOVED IT!! it was an amazing feeling.. the back loosing grip and then catching it again shooting me to where i wanted to go in the speed of light! well, maybe it was something more like 30-40 kmh (aprox 20-25 mph i think.), freaking awesome any way. from that moment on we started to go faster and faster each turn we overtook and with each kilometer. we rode for a couple of hours without stopping, trying to catch up with the time we lost this morning fixing Omri's clutch handle. we didnt take pictures again untill we passed under highway #6 (biggest highway in Israel) and reached the outskirts of Emmek izarael (Izrael valley).

The highway:

fields next to highway:

next to highway:

next to the highway:

next to the highway:

next to the highway:

we found this pretty flower field not far and took some pics:

I decided to go in to take a pic:

for some unknown reason, I was sure this would turn out as a cool pic! you be the judge:

ok.. i dont have time to continue this atm.. i will post something soon.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
vinik OP
slow learner

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoki1
great RR for now!!! but LEHLAAVOT!!!.waiing for more . pictures from ISRAEL....
"LEHLAAVOT", did you mean leh laavod? go to work? if so. i was at work when i wrote this .

Yalla!
We went onward on some beautiful roads.

i feel bad with my self for not stopping more often to take pictures. oh well, the first day was the least interesting one anyway. we arrived at this beautiful little stream. i cant remember where it was exactly. and decided it was time for a brake. got out some sandwiches sat by it and relaxed.. it was dead quite there, only the sounds of birds and wind, couldnt remember when was the last time i heard that!

cool place:

cool place:

cool place:

cool place:

and then we went on.. i didnt take pictures, but not long from that stream was an active military firing zone (a training area for tanks and such). we had to change route to go around. its fine to go threw those on weekends but dangerous on weekdays, and as we were riding on Monday we decided not to take a chance. (and by the way, i heard explosions a little earlier and joked about it with Omri, that was 5-10 min before we arrived there.). The road lead us to some villages (to be accurate, it lead us into a kibbutz) but all of the roads leading to where we needed were closed by gates. We found a gate we could open and took the chance, problem was, it was evident that no one rode this rode for at least the whole winter, and there were signs saying that the road was closed or unreachable or something like that. Having no were else to go but forward or back the way we came, we carried on that god forsaken road. it lead us to this hell hole:
(sorry for the poor quality of the image, but you get the picture!)

I dropped my bike once in there because of a big rock i didn't see, and so did Omri. after picking our bikes up Omri noticed his GPS charger got lost. we looked for a while but didn't stand a chance in that vegetation so we gave up after 10 minutes and went on. loosing that cable and charger meant we had to find a city, and go buy another one. it was getting darker and colder and we didnt bring coats with us. all i had was a sweater and Omri had a thermal shirt (i think its called) which wasn't all that thermal at all. we rode in darkness and froze our butts off! I shook like a hamster on crystal meth!! Finally we arrived at a city named Afullah, it took us 2 hours to find the store we needed that had that cable. people kept sending us in the wrong direction when we asked them where it was. After we finally bought that cable we went and bought our selfs some food, A few cans of sardines and tuna salad, some spicy Humus, pitot (bread like thingies), and some sausages.
After that we decided to find a camp for tonight. a quick pick to the GPS and we found a tiny wood near Afullah. we rode as fast as we could and got there in a few minutes. we set camp, took of our boots, and relaxed again.
this is how we camped:
you can see Afullah in the background..

and anouther one with some lame flash:

well that's it for today friends. stay tuned theres some more comming.
a teaser from whats next:

vinik screwed with this post 03-23-2010 at 11:31 PM
Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #11
hensons
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
great picture.
hensons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #12
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204
Thanks for posting..............

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
jeff_in_rc
A DRZ kind of guy

Oddometer: 616
Thumb

Great looking countryside and pics so far, I'm in! Sounds like you 2 had a great time and what a way to get your dirt legs.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 AM   #14
Tail Gunner
Life is Good !!!

Oddometer: 1,552
Another Great RR on Israel. Looking forward to the rest of the trip. I need to travel to Israel again.

(see signature for another RR on Israel)

Cheers
06 BMW RTP - BLACK & WHITE
Meet & Greet Thursdays 6pm
Tail Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #15
Gravytrain
house husband

Oddometer: 202
Looks like you are off to a great start.