User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Oddometer: 561
Fall Creek Falls - Tennessee

Today I took the afternoon and rode my Yamaha XT225 from Murfreesboro, TN to Fall Creek Falls State Park and back. For those living near or visiting Middle Tennessee, it's a soothing ride through some beautiful country that changes from rolling hills to increasing altitude with enough switchbacks to make for a fun ride. Fall Creek Falls State Park is beautiful with plenty of hiking trails, nature sites, golf, camping, cabins, a restaurant and plenty of paved roads.

This map of Tennessee shows the location of Fall Creek Falls. We would call this the eastern edge of Middle Tennessee. Also known as the Cumberland Plateau.

The route was from Murfreesboro to the small town of Woodbury via Hwy 70S and on to McMinnville. Just to the east of McMinnville Hwy 30 angles right and this takes you into the climbing twisties. If the road sign says 15mph it really means 15mph. In the middle of this stretch you pass through the really small town of Spencer. A ways after Spencer you come to Hwy 284 which turns right and takes you right through the middle of the park via the north entrance.

I stopped to eat a bite at the park restaurant (roast beef sandwich and onion rings were $7.50) and then continued through the park and exited through the south entrance.

I didn't take my camera or spend much time inside the park today but have included a few photos from the Park's website to entice you to visit. This one is of the main falls. There are cascades above the falls and you can hike down to the bottom through established trails and actually swim in the pool you see here.

These are a few of the cabins you can rent within the park and they are reasonable in price. There is also a lodge with hotel like accomodations as well as tent and trailer camping.

The following link will take you to the State's website where you can learn more and see some additional photographs. http://www.state.tn.us/environment/p...allCreekFalls/

Leaving the park on Hwy 284 South you come to Hwy 111 South which takes you to Hwy 8 and eventually returns you to McMinnville. From there I returned on Hwy 70S to Murfreesboro.

This is my first attempt at posting on ADVRIDER and I hope it turns out okay. Tennessee is a beautiful place to ride (and a great place to live).
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Of course I forgot a few key statistics:

Trip length was 178 miles round trip.
Trip time, including 45 minutes for lunch was 4.5 hours.
Miles per gallon for the trip was 72.4.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 274
A Great Area

A nice side trip from the TAT. Many very nice roads in the area. Not far to the north is another interesting falls at Rock Island State Park. Explore more!

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
Mike Honcho
Got Beaver?

Oddometer: 2,360
That is one of the stops along a favorite route of mine. Fall Creek Falls is a nice break from the twists of the hwy. A few pics I took from last year...

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Nice RR...
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Liberia OP
Fortunate

Thanks for the extra pictures and comments

I'm new to posting here but am learning. Everyone has been helpful.

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Old 03-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
IBGONE
Old, slow, and happy

Oddometer: 1,799
I live in McMinnvile and Route 30 is one of my favorite rides. If you continue South from the Route 284 junction the road down to Pikeville is interesting as well. Gravel washed out onto the pavement in the switchbacks can be an issue, DAMHIK, and the area near Baker Mountain road is a favorite hangout for the THP guys and can be very expensive, DAMHIK. Middle ands East Tennessee have some of the greatest paved riding anywhere.

Floyd

There are no demons inside my helmet; just the magic of the Universe sliding past my every sense.
Me.
IBGONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,562
My mother lives in the Murf. I have ridden from there to Falls Creek before. FCF State Park is one of the nicest anywhere. Thanks for sharing!
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
JUDOKA
retired

Oddometer: 172
Missing Tennessee

I am from Knoxville, and I love the Cumberland Plateau! I sure do miss the green of home too! Of course this desert grows on you when you dont have the gray all winter. Nice report!
JUDOKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
Jonzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBGONE
I live in McMinnvile and Route 30 is one of my favorite rides. If you continue South from the Route 284 junction the road down to Pikeville is interesting as well. Gravel washed out onto the pavement in the switchbacks can be an issue, DAMHIK, and the area near Baker Mountain road is a favorite hangout for the THP guys and can be very expensive, DAMHIK. Middle ands East Tennessee have some of the greatest paved riding anywhere.

Floyd

Highway 30 is part of my daily commute (Crossville to Dayton)! 41 miles one way of absolute beauty! Folks at work think I'm crazy. "It's awfully curvy down that way." Yeah, too bad huh. Poor me...

'07 Kawisaki KLR650
'82 Suzuki GS1100G
'73 Honda CB350G
Jonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote