Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Also, real quick..... regarding my battery failure. BMW said they'd warranty it, however, my dealer didn't have a battery in stock. They said it would take two weeks to get one in.

So, I ended up buying my own. Walmart/EverStart ES-14BS - AGM Sealed Maintenance Free (Made by GS Battery, American sister company to Yuasa). It requires you to add the sulfuric acid yourself (which is really easy), and charge it.

Battery: $65
Automatic 12v Charger/Maintainer: $20

Added acid, charged it, dropped it in, bike runs great now.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #17
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringa
Question, what number battery does this puppy use?, not in the manual and have not yet taken it out, thanks
QUOTE=Gringa]Question, what number battery does this puppy use?, not in the manual and have not yet taken it out, thanks[/QUOTE]

Wal-Mart/EverStart/GS ES-14BS $65

Yuasa YTX14-BS $90-150 (depending on where you look)

I suggest the Wal-Mart/Everstart, it is the exact same battery as the Yuasa only cheaper:

http://www.gsbattery.com/ps-products...tionguide.html

I contacted GS Battery. They confirmed that the ES-14BS is the same at the Yuasa YTX-14BS.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,194
a sealed agm battery should not require you to fill it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Also, real quick..... regarding my battery failure. BMW said they'd warranty it, however, my dealer didn't have a battery in stock. They said it would take two weeks to get one in.

So, I ended up buying my own. Walmart/EverStart ES-14BS - AGM Sealed Maintenance Free (Made by GS Battery, American sister company to Yuasa). It requires you to add the sulfuric acid yourself (which is really easy), and charge it.

Battery: $65
Automatic 12v Charger/Maintainer: $20

Added acid, charged it, dropped it in, bike runs great now.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #19
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
I suggest the Wal-Mart/Everstart, it is the exact same battery as the Yuasa only cheaper:

I contacted GS Battery. They confirmed that the ES-14BS is the same at the Yuasa YTX-14BS.
The exact same battery or the exact same size? You do realize there is a difference, right?
Old 03-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,307
Joe,

Had the same thing happen with my 1200GS. Rode to a meeting. Came out, turned on the bike and next to nothing. Replaced under warranty BUT . . .

with the kind of riding you do and the places you go, you might wanna think about replacing your battery with an Odyssey. My problem with the BMW battery is that it dies a sudden death with no warning. I want my battery to give a hint that it's going.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #21
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
I'm packing now and heading to DV shortly, wish me and the Yellow Queen luck!

Is she now the "Queen" because she costs so much to keep going??

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #22
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
a sealed agm battery should not require you to fill it?

Actually, you're wrong. A "sealed" AGM battery actually has (typically) six holes along the top where the factory fills the sulfuric acid into the six cells. Then they "seal" it by putting the rubber plugs into the holes. Then they typically put black tape or a warning label over it, which is why you don't see it easily. Then they charge it. These batteries are called "factory activated" and are more expensive. Just look at your stock battery and/or any other AGM sealed maintenance-free battery. You'll notice a rubber strip along the top. That rubber strip has multiple rubber hollow cylinders on it that plug the cell holes, effectively "sealing" the battery. You can buy a factory activated one for double the cost or you can buy an unactivated one and pay half. It is up to you!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 PM   #23
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM
The exact same battery or the exact same size? You do realize there is a difference, right?
They are all the same size, of course. However, my point is this:

In the cross reference chart above I have confirmed from GS Battery/Yuasa (which are the same company btw) that the GTX14-BS, YTX14-BS and the ES14BS are the exact same battery, made by GS Battery/Yuasa. Just branded differently.

I confirmed this through GS Battery/Yuasa.

Call 'em yourself if ya want, they'll tell ya the same:

(800) 472-2879
Old 03-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #24
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
Before evereyone rode Joel Wiseman out of town on a rail I remember him saying that the standard Yuasa battery doesn't seem to get along very well with the 800GS and that the Odyssey battery worked better.

I remember this because I'd just had to roll start mine (turns out I'd left the key in the wrong position).

Sometimes children, its just better for everyone if we try and get along without all the fighting!
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #25
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane
Before evereyone rode Joel Wiseman out of town on a rail I remember him saying that the standard Yuasa battery doesn't seem to get along very well with the 800GS and that the Odyssey battery worked better.

I remember this because I'd just had to roll start mine (turns out I'd left the key in the wrong position).

Sometimes children, its just better for everyone if we try and get along without all the fighting!
I recall him saying that too.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:31 PM   #26
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Some of you might or might not have heard me piss and moan about all the issues my particular GS has caused me, so instead of clogging up other threads, this is for me to share my ongoing issues or answer question about my experiences traveling with the GS.

If you've had something break or fail and feel like sharing go for it.
If you haven't had any problems, good for you, go drink your koolaid somewhere else, this is for the minority with issues, not to remind me how much fun the rest of you are having on the GS. ;)

I'm compiling all my posts about my issues and will add to this as it comes.
For now here's some photos, a visual reference if you will, of my ongoing problems...

Starting with today, doing what my GS does best - BREAK DOWN.

Some sort of electrical problem, EWC error came up, but it's too soon to tell. I'll know more when long beach BMW takes a look at her.

In last year or 26,000 miles:

Leak #1, started in Utah, "fixed" when a dealer used add-a-gasket sealant...

leak # 2 on the way north to Alaska

chain # 1 day one of my relationship with YB

chain #2

The wrong bearing Chicago BMW installed...

Fixing the oil leak in the woods in the Yukon @ 1AM...

\

I have more photo's of problems of my GS than I have time right now...
Ok I know this is off topic (sorry) but I don't see any photos in this post, only .

this may not be the right place to post this but it is freaking me out!!!

I think there are other threads as wel where I am not seeing pics, but if I scroll down I DO SEE pics in this thread....

Do I have a setting wrong? I haven't changed anything.
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:11 PM   #27
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
As a guy who is seriously considering buying an F800GS, I must admit to feeling concerned after seeing so many similar problems reported here on these bikes.

I know well the litany of BMW Boxer issues, and it was made very clear to me 20 years ago that BMW are far behind when it comes to electrical engineering on their bikes. And sadly, I see the same old problems repeating here on the F800. Funnily enough, I hear BMW are now eliminating the famous CAN bus systems on new bikes.

I have no idea why Chi's first chain broke but my guess is a cursory look/feel of the drive line may have averted the problem.

I have to think Chi's new chain was not riveted or the clip not on, or battery acid got on his chain? Either that or it was so loose it de-railed. All should be caught with inspection, spinning the wheel and looking at the chain master link and slack. The dealer PDI should have caught this. Chi's Not reporting this to BMW NA does a disservice to other riders.

The 2nd chain looks like a rock got in there. Hard to believe as I've never done it in 30 years of dirt riding in the Desert and Baja. But shit happens. I see he has bad habits in terms of running on worn out sprockets on new chain and using shitty RK chains. Anyone riding chain drive bikes for a while pretty much knows what chains are good and changes sprockets with chain. Best chain? really no contest. Anyone have an opinion?

A battery should never go totally dead with no warning. This indicates either a really crap battery (sulfated Cell) or an electrical system that suddenly begins discharging with the key off ..... OR ... you may have a Foolish Fucker who leaves his key on and won't admit it in public?

My shop experience has seen quite a bit of this! Ego's are easily bruised!

I believe most Yuasa batteries are made in the USA? I order batteries from Suzuki who send a Japanese Cheapo Futaba AMG for $60. Same deal as mentioned earlier, you add acid yourself, seal it up and charge. The difference I'm not sure about other than I've never had a failure. Battery says Made In Japan. My bikes stay on Battery Tenders at home and on the road I carry the Waterproof version. These are high quality batteries, like most Japanese stuff. But no battery will save you if the electrical system is constantly drawing down the system.

All the reports of failed bearings I can only shrug in disbelief. How can this be? In the past ten years I've put over 200,000 miles on mostly Japanese bikes and have never lost a wheel bearing. I did replace head bearings on a couple dirt bikes that I washed too enthusiastically, but for the most part, just no problems with bearings of any kind. Been a while since I owned a BMW, but I've ridden many, including the F800, which I really liked.

A bit of rough riding doing 26,000 should be no problem. Unless Chi visits the Auto High Pressure Wash twice week, then I just don't get all the bearing failures. Germans used to make the best bearings in the world.
Wha happen?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #28
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
They can't read a fricking inside micrometer.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 PM   #29
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter
All the reports of failed bearings I can only shrug in disbelief. How can this be? In the past ten years I've put over 200,000 miles on mostly Japanese bikes and have never lost a wheel bearing. I did replace head bearings on a couple dirt bikes that I washed too enthusiastically, but for the most part, just no problems with bearings of any kind. Been a while since I owned a BMW, but I've ridden many, including the F800, which I really liked.

A bit of rough riding doing 26,000 should be no problem. Unless Chi visits the Auto High Pressure Wash twice week, then I just don't get all the bearing failures. Germans used to make the best bearings in the world.
Wha happen?
The problem is now widely accepted to be with a run of hubs that were incorrectly machined and put too much crush on the bearings leading to premature failure. I don't think many newer 800's have had this problem. Incidentally the original bearings in my 800 were made in Shanghai.

The chain was made by CZ in Czechoslovakia and had its spec increased with thicker sideplates in later bikes.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #30
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
They can't read a fricking inside micrometer.
+1