Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #61
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzimike
Perhaps if you weren't such an unpleasant individual, with your constant personal denigration of other forum members...............................

I only call it like I see it, mostly old, know it all FF's that are off topic, out of context, or just telling me "this is how I've done it, or I've never seen that in all my xxx years"....
The way I see it, your comments to me about how I should have caught the chain issues with an inspection, or my disservice to other riders, or insinuating how I should know what brand chains are good or to change it all at the same time, are offensive.... without even taking the time to see what situations I was in at the time at any of my many problems.

You basically said I was stupid, but in a way that is indirect and condescending, while making you sound wise and of higher intelligent than me. The difference is you're a coward and have to hide behind politically correct ways to insult someone to make your self feel better.

Now unless you have some first hand problems with the GS or specific question to understand my problems, piss off and go somewhere else to share your wisdom , since that's the topic of this thread.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:33 PM   #62
Fixalot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Chitown, I for one want to thank you for posting the problems that you have had with the little YB!
I bought S/N ZU00123 back in July of 09. I have ridden it very little so far, only 1800 miles. (mainly due to health issues). So far only problems have been.

1. Front axle recall - In shop today being checked

2. Ran out of fuel one time (I pushed it to far - I now carry a few 20oz fuel bottles) - New sender being installed today (Warranty) (I didn't ask for this - it came up when tech ran my VIN)

3. External shroud of fuel tank cracked on both sides (Warranty - being replaced today)

4. Rerouting vent line - came up when tech ran VIN

5. Power delivery very snatchy off idle - Great for pavement, in the gravel - NOT SO MUCH!!)

6. (This is a subjective item)
Seat is the absolute worst of the 17 bikes I have owned. I plan on ordering an AIR HAWK to help that out. (Seriously BMW - did anyone actually test ride this seat design?) Even my KTM 250EXC seat was not this bad.

A big thanks to Chitown and others for posting problems and solutions. I have been lurking for a year and have learned a lot. I will keep an eye out for the other issues and deal with them if and when they occur.

P.S. Chitown - I have lived vicariously through your ride reports. I feel like I was there. Thanks
Fixalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 06:50 PM   #63
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,243
Chitown et al:

Let's keep it civil, or face the consequences, name calling will not be tolerated... This forum is now under the GSpot umbrella. We cracked the whips in the boxers forum and have very clearly worded forum rules which were needed to eliminate the mocking douchebaggery, the needless dickery and the constant negativity. We can disagree with each others opinions without resorting to mud slinging and name calling...

It's easy to be a keyboard commando, but would you talk that way if you were face to face? I highly doubt it.

When I get around to it, I will be posting the same forum rules here too, but anyone needing a refresher, look at them in the boxers forum.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:55 PM   #64
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

fine, no more douchbaggery... but are you telling me I can't be negative? or have a negative attitude towards, say BMW? or my bike or civilly worded responses towards another "rider"?

BTW, there's not a thing here I wouldn't say to someone's face, as I'm sure those inmates who've met me would believe....

LostRider.com
Old 04-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #65
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
I have a Gadget Boy Man Crush

NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #66
GB
Mod Squad

Maybe this helps... all riders, "riders", keyboard cowboys and commandos:

This is truly a double edged sword in that there will always be those who push the limits of the written rulz. For many, many years the one major guideline in GSpot was civility. As long as the discourse was kept civil, folks could banter back and forth to their hearts content.

With our ‘success’ we have added many new participants who have no experience with our traditional rough and tumble ways. These new folks expectations are at odds with the ‘old timers’ way of doing things. This has lead us to our current ‘problem’.

You see, the technical forums we have here are about helping any and all who have questions or problems. In days of old, helping would ofttimes include some degree of ‘gentle’ ribbing, which is where the civility rule came from. Getting ribbed was a form of endearment. It also helped to identify those who 'got it' from those who didn't.

Of course there are those who have learned just where the limits of what is an ‘acceptable’ post and they are quite expert at staying just this side of that line. Unfortunately in the long term and when this becomes the 'norm' of the content of their posts, this form of behavior has undesirable consequences. One of these is seen as a form of negativity that permeates the forum. Another consequence is, others figure that this form of behavior is acceptable because it doesn’t ‘break the rulz’.

So what is my point in all of this? We the Mods are having to take steps to deal with this. After banging our collective heads together we have devised a guideline that can be applied to any situation. For some, as long as the words of the rulz were being followed, then what was posted was ‘OK’. But the intent behind the rulz was being ignored. This type of arrogance simply can’t cut it any more.

Some of you may be familiar with being banned or being miserablized, well, soon you can be insufferablized.

In short we will exclude from GSpot (or any other forum) those, who after being suitably warned, continue to post in a manner that violates the intent of civility. Ok so what does ‘exclude’ really mean? It means you’ll be able to read any thread in the forum but will not be able to participate, IN ANY WAY, i.e. no more posting here.

The selection of who will be insufferablized will be entirely up to the mods.
Whining after the fact usually just cements the decision in place (remember the rule “ALL Mod decisions are final, don't whine about it”), which is found here
http://www.advrider.com/forums/announcement.php?f=3

which we suggest EVERYONE read…

GSpot Mod Squad
Old 04-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #67
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Ok, that's a very politically correct, very institutionalized response that did not answer my questions at all. You should write speeches for American politicians.

So in other words, the formula that made the "success" of ADV has been changed to be sure we don't hurt some noobs feelings, instead of getting more quality ADV'rs that "get it"?

Hmmm....

As you can see by my intent, after reading the forum rulzes I am reformed! Praise the lord I am saved!

BUT, are you saying if I continue to have issues with my GS or BMW that at some point when one of you almighty mods in the PC forums can "ban" me from said certain forums for being too negative on a certain subject?

Thanks!

LostRider.com
Old 04-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #68
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
I have to admit, that's the way I read it, too. It seems illogical.
Quote:
So in other words, the formula that made the "success" of ADV has been changed to be sure we don't hurt some noobs feelings, instead of getting more quality ADV'rs that "get it"?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #69
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
I have to admit, that's the way I read it, too. It seems illogical.
Or maybe BMW corporate cronies have infiltrated ADV, kidnapped Gadget Boy, put a evil doer in his place and want to shut me down!

LostRider.com
Old 04-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #70
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Before I write my list I want to say that I really like my bike, and I would buy it again.

It's an earlier 09, currently with 24,000 miles on it.
Issues:
  • Fuel Pump Controller failure
  • Bent shock bolt (on my 3rd one now)
  • Multple dings and tacos in both rims
  • Rear hub replacement. I got lucky in that Honda of Houston went to bat for me and got the whole shamook replaced.

Things that annoy me and I wish for improvement:
  • Snatchy throttle. Mine is improved by filling the throttle body pulley (where the other end of the throttle cable goes ) with aluminum foil. Kind of a reverse G2 cam
  • Another half gallon or more fuel capacity would be nice. Gas stations are not on every corner in Mexico or Central America
  • I want quality suspension. I would rather pay the cost up front than do all the work on the back end. BMW has never put good suspension on their bikes
  • I frickin' HATE my side stand and centerstand!
  • Heated grips are useless below, oh, 50F. I have better warmth jamming my hands in the radiator vents than I do gripping the grips.
  • WTF is up with the stupid reverse torx head bolts? An example of solving a problem that doesn't exist. More frickin' tools to buy and carry around now.
  • Puny steering stops. I've busted one off already. The bodywork is now the steering stop for left turns.

Problems I've read about that I have not had:
  • Stalling, but I cut my hose to the charcoal cannister right away. This is not my first BMW, lol.
  • My clutch is fine, shifts like butter.
  • Chain was fine
  • Radiator hoses are fine.
  • No leaking valve cover or any other leaks

Things I like about this bike:
  • Great gas mileage. When your head is up your ass, you can slow down and get some *great* mileage.
  • Comfortable riding position (change the seat though). I've done plenty of dawn to dusk and beyond days.
  • Great gauges and plenty of information
  • Carries a nice load of crap down the road
  • Nice handling, especially considering there's a wobbly, taco'd 21" wheel on the front
  • Plenty of alternator output

When I get on my bike for the first ride of the day, I smile. When I'm done riding for the day, I like having a smoke, sitting in dirt, and just staring at my bike.

Issues are just that - issues. Overcome them when you can - it's part of the Adventure
Old 04-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #71
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Or maybe BMW corporate cronies have infiltrated ADV, kidnapped Gadget Boy, put a evil doer in his place and want to shut me down!
I think it's an evolution. Even society at large suffers it: The original gang behave in similar fashion and everything is great, then a more sensitive person enters the group and things occasionally tone down, then more, and even more. Like a society, compromises are made, rules and laws are laid down until finally the end society resembles nothing of the original society. Finally, some people go off exploring other, new lands, leaving behind the stifling constraints of the old land. Our civilizations are like that and the old BBS's were like that, then the newsgroups and the current forums. Even jobs are like that. I've worked at startups where everything was fast and exciting. 3 years and hundreds of new employees later, it's nothing like it once was. ADVRider is not immune from this evolution. There will come a time when I, as much as I love ADVRider, will leave to find a new land.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #72
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
BUT, are you saying if I continue to have issues with my GS or BMW that at some point when one of you almighty mods in the PC forums can "ban" me from said certain forums for being too negative on a certain subject?

Thanks!
[/COLOR]
If you continue to refer to inmates as assholes and calling them dickheads, we will not tolerate it, that's what we're saying. Or we could just move this thread to the basement and then you can let loose..

We hear from inmates on here who feel intimidated and are reluctant to ask their "stupid" questions for fear of being ridiculed. (I'm not talking about you, I'm just talking about how things were in GSpot).. It's not about being politically correct, it's about setting the boundaries of acceptable behavior on this site. Civility is expected and enforced in the bike forums, otherwise the whole site turns into Jo Momma and even in JM there are certain lines that one must not cross.. Since everyone on here is pretty much anonymous, it doesn't take much for pissing matches and name calling to begin.. Let me refer you to my visual aid

drrags: I was riding today with thick winter gloves, it was 34 or 36 F, and with the heated grips on high heat, my hands were fully toasty, but I do have handguards installed, which keep the cold air off my hands. Yours don't sound right, or maybe you need handguards
Old 04-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #73
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherider
Here's a piccie of me colleting my water sample from the Beaufort Sea - the bucket list is about done - I can die any time now...
It looks like you're throwing up snowballs. I'm still laughing.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:04 PM   #74
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
It looks like you're throwing up snowballs. I'm still laughing.
I think if I was throwing up, they would have been ice balls by the time they hit the ice - it was pretty freaking cool, and a bit breezy that day.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #75
Lost Rider OP
Roadie

Quote:
I think it's an evolution. Even society at large suffers it: The original gang behave in similar fashion and everything is great, then a more sensitive person enters the group and things occasionally tone down, then more, and even more. Like a society, compromises are made, rules and laws are laid down until finally the end society resembles nothing of the original society. Finally, some people go off exploring other, new lands, leaving behind the stifling constraints of the old land. Our civilizations are like that and the old BBS's were like that, then the newsgroups and the current forums. Even jobs are like that. I've worked at startups where everything was fast and exciting. 3 years and hundreds of new employees later, it's nothing like it once was. ADVRider is not immune from this evolution. There will come a time when I, as much as I love ADVRider, will leave to find a new land.
That is the most insightful, wise, and I believe to be accurate statement I have read on ADV in a very long time.

LostRider.com