ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #76
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,123
I wanted to sleep on it first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If you continue to refer to inmates as assholes and calling them dickheads, we will not tolerate it, that's what we're saying. Or we could just move this thread to the basement and then you can let loose..

We hear from inmates on here who feel intimidated and are reluctant to ask their "stupid" questions for fear of being ridiculed. (I'm not talking about you, I'm just talking about how things were in GSpot).. It's not about being politically correct, it's about setting the boundaries of acceptable behavior on this site. Civility is expected and enforced in the bike forums, otherwise the whole site turns into Jo Momma and even in JM there are certain lines that one must not cross.. Since everyone on here is pretty much anonymous, it doesn't take much for pissing matches and name calling to begin.. Let me refer you to my visual aid



well, you've said 3 distinctly different thing "we" want or will punish for.

Considering I have thousands of my life's photo's posted and basically my daily life documented for quite some time on this site, I'd say I'm hardly anonymous. I sign with my real name, people know where I can be found when working, or track me on my spot, so I'm hardly some Random Fuckwad, like your visual aid would say, though I do think it's funny and true with lots of these poseur douchebags. BTW, isn't that actually John Gabriel's visual aid?

I hoped you're talking in general, but you're talking to me...

The way I see it, the system that was in place before "we" started giving two shits if some new member was intimidated about asking a stupid question worked well. It kept out the riff raff and sensitive folk, let them stay over on MOA or other PC forums...
I was intimidated when I first joined, and therefore thought more about what I was saying or who I was saying it to before I posted. I stayed on topic. I didn't talk shit to get a rise out of people, etc...
I could always depend on being able to speak my mind, or call someone out if they were being a dickhead.
That's what made ADVRIDER, ADVRIDER!

Now we can't even call out someone's BS with some dickhead comments so as not to intimidate some noob?
The new and improved civil ADV?

I could give a shit less if you insufferablized me from civil gspot, or move this hopeless thread into the basement.
Don't threaten me with a good time, I have a interesting life outside of ADV...

I figured when I actually threw out there all my problems about the GS I would catch hell from the fanboys.
Well, the whole topic of this thread "problems with my GS and BMW NA" once again gets turned into everyone's mini review of how they love the GS, or how they did this or that mod, or by insulting me by saying I was stupid or it was my fault or should have done it different. That's fine, I'm hardly thin skinned.
But in turn, with my "Old School" ADV banter it gets turned around on me for being the bad guy because of a few colorful words I mixed in.

Remember folks, I was among or the first to have and REPORT many of these problems because I was among the first to push the bike's limits, or ride the long miles, paving the way for your either now more reliable new model, or having your problems covered under warranty, unlike mine.
But hey, I'm the bitch moan whine asshole around here...

__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #77
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool
 
DolphinJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Nature Coast, Florida
Oddometer: 3,798
If people don't want to be called a dickhead, they shouldn't say dickhead things.
It's not like ChiTown is attacking someone who asked a "stupid question".

When you say things like "hey master mechanic" I'd call you a dickhead too.

Bottom line is the guy rides his bike a lot. Like a real lot.
He rides hard. Really, really hard because that's the way he likes to ride.
His bike has not held up. To make things worse he's not had the support of BMW or it's network of dealers.

He's just telling the facts, and in this thread wants to know what other owners have experienced.

I think some are taking it personally and defending their F800 because they love it.
__________________
_________________________________

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #78
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
If you continue to refer to inmates as assholes and calling them dickheads, we will not tolerate it, that's what we're saying.
Thank you!

I must be one of those noob sensitive types because I appreciate the enforcement of fundamental standards for those who can't behave with civility.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #79
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
If people don't want to be called a dickhead, they shouldn't say dickhead things.
It's not like ChiTown is attacking someone who asked a "stupid question".

When you say things like "hey master mechanic" I'd call you a dickhead too.
In my humble opinion, that's the difference between a mature adult and a person who manifests improperly trained, childlike behavior.

A mature adult can recognize a condescending jab like, "hey, master mechanic," and respond (or not respond) without acting like an immature adolescent.

Of course if ADVrider was built-up as a "no holds barred" forum, then that's a different story. I have no problem with a forum that has no standards or rules, I'm not a member of any forums like that, but I would not try to discourage someone else from being a member of one.

However, regardless of what yesteryear was like here, for whatever reason, it seems like the leadership of this form wants to help create an atmosphere where people are encouraged to have a basic mutual respect for one another.

I've got to commend the leadership for that. I guess I'm the dreaded component in the evolution of societal change.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 06:08 PM
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #80
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus
 
drrags's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 1,810
Do you know what the ADV salute is? That's how this place used to be. Now, it's full of people who move next to the airport and complain about the noise. Well... that's the way I see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos
Thank you!

I must be one of those noob sensitive types because I appreciate the enforcement of fundamental standards for those who can't behave with civility.

God Bless,
David
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #81
BMWf800gs
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: BMW breaks down.
Oddometer: 219
The facts and just the facts

I am glad to be able to read true no holds bare truth of the good and bad about BMW and the f800 gs.
I have had costly annoying problems with mine also. I have tried to talk to BMW about the problems and thereby help them to be a better Co. and make a better bike.
I want to enjoy my purchases not hate them! Do not all people feel the same way?
BMW according to my experience seems to have a bunch of lawyers that do not ride motorcycles and do not want to listen to what the owner of the product has to say.
When I tried to tell them some of the problems they had with the lack of customer service and lack of knowledge about their product the guy just came across as a politician instead of not interrupting me with his BS. I feel he should have listened and maybe even taken notes in order to learn from our conversation and decrease the amount of customers and possible customers they piss off.
How hard is it to listen to a customer and say something like: Thank you for your obvious concern for our company and thank you for your information?
He just wanted me to sign a legal form absolving them of responsibility.
This my experience and how I feel. I am not a lawyer.
__________________
Throw poo on all that talk on a phone/distracted driving.
It should be 6pts and reckless driving!
Call and write your representative in government.
Suzuki DRZ 400s, KTM 300XC, BMW f800gs -when it is not broke down,waiting for BMW to fix it
BMWf800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #82
giodog2000
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Montreal , Quebec
Oddometer: 252
Chi , thx for riding hard. I read you often and learn many things.


Too bad this post turned out into a soap... Let me know when it's back on topic.


P.S : Next time you feel the need for name calling , use a few smillies. Some interesting ones in there
__________________
First one out..last one in.

2011 KTM 690 Enduro R
2009 KTM 530 XC-W
giodog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #83
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by giodog2000
Too bad this post turned out into a soap... Let me know when it's back on topic.
It's kind of ironic because it's the original poster (chi) who turned it into a soap opera because he couldn't take some benign criticism.

I also appreciate some of his posts and enjoyed "living" vicariously through some of his posted trips and I'm also glad there are people pushing these bikes so that weak areas might be made known.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #84
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
Do you know what the ADV salute is? That's how this place used to be.
Based on some pictures I saw here I believe it is the middle finger.

However, I doubt that gesture was truly indicative of the attitude members had toward one another on this forum.

Of course I've only been reading posts pertaining to the F800gs, and in that sub-category I've only been going back a year or so in my search.

God Bless,
David

Apostolos screwed with this post 04-10-2010 at 07:28 PM
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:32 PM   #85
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding
 
Lion BR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 3,436
Now, how can we describe, in a polite way, your comment below?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos
It's kind of ironic because it's the original poster (chi) who turned it into a soap opera because he couldn't take some benign criticism.

God Bless,
David
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #86
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR
Now, how can we describe, in a polite way, your comment below?
Who are the "we" you are referring to, the ADV collective community? Perhaps you might want to start a poll to determine the answer.

God Bless,
David
Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #87
STROMVADER
Beastly Adventurer
 
STROMVADER's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Northern Illinois
Oddometer: 2,100
Should have bought a Klr 650!
__________________
You only LIVE once. Make it COUNT.
F*CK CANCER
Godspeed Dad! RIP 1944-2010
STROMVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #88
craigincali
Just hanging around
 
craigincali's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: A town called Hell
Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostolos
Who are the "we" you are referring to, the ADV collective community? Perhaps you might want to start a poll to determine the answer.

God Bless,
David

I flip off every guy I see on an adventure style bike, weather I am in my car or a on a bike that is how I say "Hello fellow Advrider!"

Now, the Harely guys: I just point and laugh at them....
__________________
Me
I am usually drunk when I post so dont take it personally !
2010 KTM 990
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:11 AM   #89
Lost Rider OP
Roadie
 
Lost Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Ventura County, California Republic
Oddometer: 3,123
Hey Apostodul, do you have anything constructive to add to this thread?
The topic is problems with your GS, and considering you're in a "problems with 8GS's" thread and you just took delivery yesterday and you've had no problems then anything you post in here is off topic and just fanning the soap as you say - exactly breaking the rules you so loudly proclaimed to appreciate.
Kind of a contradiction I think.

See, I understand, by you're own admission you're a sensitive noob, who's obviously a god fearing man. Good for you, I'm glad you have a wonderful relationship with god or jesus, and that you feel compelled to let us all know with every worthless post you've made on this forum in the last month of your existence here.
That's great, I'm happy for you really.
But, see, after you came in my thread, compelled to thank the mods for threatening me, and proclaiming your sensitive beliefs in civility supporting position you then proceeded to demonstrate exactly the kind of sarcastic, insulting, condescending, and over all smart ass ways to skirt around the rules of the forum to, let's say in a civil way, stir the pot or try and get a rise out of people. Without using what you god fearing folk believe to be profane words.
So you believe.
What I see is exactly the kind of behavior that GB was talking about, and what I was responding to with my comments that brought the whole civil topic up in the first place.

It is you who is the problem. Not just you personally, but all those other individuals who believe that as long as it's worded right, it's OK to say, but a simple more colorful "swear" word is oh so wrong. Because god said so probably.
I do understand that you're a sensitive noob, who's start to the ADV community will be remembered when you're in need of some help sometime... see you on the road, buddy.


I'll save testing my limits with the big bad mods or waisting more time for a more worthy inmate, instead I will do the more logical thing and just put you on my ignore list since you have nothing positive to add to my ADV experience, and probably never will.

Bye Bye, and david of nazareth, god bless!









For fun and entertainment purposes more on topic, here's a photo of my Yellow Bitch after I ripped the skid plate off along with breaking the side stand switch in DV. Good thing a cut and short of two of the three wires fixed the kill switch problem.


__________________
Photography for me is not about recreating what I saw through
the viewfinder but to show people the way I want to see the world.

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 04-11-2010 at 02:19 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #90
Apostolos
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: The Sierras
Oddometer: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
...Hey Apostodul...
...with every worthless post you've made on this forum in the last month of your existence here...
...It is you who is the problem...
... see you on the road, buddy...
...I will do the more logical thing and just put you on my ignore list since you have nothing positive to add to my ADV experience, and probably never will....
...Bye Bye, and david of nazareth, god bless! ...














Apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014