ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,194
Hatteras OBX in April, camping?

I have lived on the east coast for 12 years and never have been to the outer banks. planning a trip there for 4 days next weekend. i'm taking the small family and a travel trailer. i'll take my bike too in case the family gets sick of me.

I see there are 3 campgrounds on hatteras/ocracoke. any suggestions amoungst them?

is there a drop dead time for traffic upon arrival and departure at this time of year?

i'm all for exploring and adventure but i'm trying to avoid the classic vacation blunders.
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
JaxObsessed
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 10,268
Frisco NC is one of my favorite places in the world.
http://www.outer-banks.com/friscowoods/
This place is sound side and there is another on the ocean side in Frisco.
Both are really nice. I don't remember if the ocean side one has hookups for campers.

There 's not much riding there. Though, if you're an intrepid dual sporter with serious knobies, you can ride on the beach in the state parks. Speed limit is 25, and DON"T GO THROUGH THE CLOSED AREAS.
There are also places where the sand is deep and 25 really isn't enough speed to skim along the top.... You will torture your clutch.

Have a good time, I'm jealous.

EDIT... you shouldn't have any troubles with traffic this early in the season.

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 03-24-2010 at 08:08 AM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:06 AM   #3
nxdirtbag
Commuter Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
I love the state park campgrounds. The beach/ocean is a short walk over the dunes from Ocracoke and Frisco state park campgrounds. But you may want to check with them on amenities. We always went in the summer when cold showers were welcome and we were in tents and didn't need hook-ups.

As for driving on the beach, sand is tighter down on Ocracoke. The sand up near Frisco/Avon/Rodanthe can get pretty deep. Also there is a short stretch on the sound side just below Avon at one of the day use areas. This is a good place to watch windsurfing and kiteboarding in the summer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363924 Try this thread for more information about bikes at OBX.

Enjoy, NX
My friend Pilo's adventure book
nxdirtbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
advridgerunner
RESIST WE MUCH !

Oddometer: 1,071
+1 frisco woods
It has shaded sites. not so on the beach camp spots. which might be ok in April.
and bugs after a certin point in the year.

1981 CBX (missing it already!)-
advridgerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #5
JaxObsessed

You are correct! I have stayed at both campgrounds and they are nice. The last time I was to Ocracoke, I took my truck on the beach, and I can affirm it, at least down by the village, is way less deep than the beach on Hatteras island. Oh the commas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxdirtbag
I love the state park campgrounds. The beach/ocean is a short walk over the dunes from Ocracoke and Frisco state park campgrounds. But you may want to check with them on amenities. We always went in the summer when cold showers were welcome and we were in tents and didn't need hook-ups.

As for driving on the beach, sand is tighter down on Ocracoke. The sand up near Frisco/Avon/Rodanthe can get pretty deep. Also there is a short stretch on the sound side just below Avon at one of the day use areas. This is a good place to watch windsurfing and kiteboarding in the summer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=363924 Try this thread for more information about bikes at OBX.

Enjoy, NX
Old 03-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #6
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
I may be wrong but not sure if the state camp grounds are even open in e arly April. I've had my DRZ down there and while I'm good to ride any time I think a kayaak is more fun to have there. I've camped at Frisco Woods and think it is maybe the best on the Island. If it's really windy you don't want to be sound side. I've had trips there that that the wind blew 30-40 mph around the clock for 4-5 days in a row.
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks for the replies. the campgrounds open april 2, i have no kayak but am going to bring a canoe and some fishing stuff if i can borrow it. my dirtbike is plated so i thought i;d at least throw it in the truck. this is starting to look good...
Old 03-24-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
RideOn2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Regarding fishing, pretty sure the law changed and you will most likely need to get a temp out of state licence. I'm sure some of the posters will know for sure.

Parden the mother hen in me but if it's real windy and blowing off shore be care full with the canoe.
RideOn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #9
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 954
Yes you will have to have a coastal fishing liscence.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,980
Good fishing in the creeks and estuaries. Good shrimping too!
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

well, here we are, time to start exploring around.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #12
jgiacobbe
Skid plate tester

Oddometer: 1,941
The light house is in the wrong place

I went there too much as a kid and now when I visit it gives me the willies to look back from the point and see it moved.

Have fun. Probably really nice weather judging by what we have at the moment here.
jgiacobbe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:06 AM   #13
woods wizard
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Hey Buddy, make sure you take some pics of town & all, we havent been in ten years. Want to see what and how much has changed. Cheers
woods wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #14
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

p://

great time had by all. thanks for all the suggestions. we ended up camping soundside in frisco, right on water's edge. outstanding! day trip to ocracoke was the highlight but i failed to get pics of the town, just the standard lighthouse, beach shots. glad i took the bike, it was perfect for the beaches, even went out there at night, spooky.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
JaxObsessed

Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet

p://

great time had by all. thanks for all the suggestions. we ended up camping soundside in frisco, right on water's edge. outstanding! day trip to ocracoke was the highlight but i failed to get pics of the town, just the standard lighthouse, beach shots. glad i took the bike, it was perfect for the beaches, even went out there at night, spooky.