Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #2356
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Oddometer: 1,412
Thanks, those are good ideas. I had kicked around both, but seeing your posts together gave me an idea.. I wrote it up but think it is too long and maybe too off topic, so I decided to keep it too myself

FindMeSpot ~~~ Spotwalla Baja Trip ~~~ Neduro Did Dakar!
snooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:47 AM   #2357
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

Ok I think I'm just going with the earbud clamp kit and earbuds for starters. For speakers, my helmet does not have room for the massive (and $80 !) Tork XPro so I'm going to buy another Sena universal mic clamp kit and cut off the speakers then wire a plug on them. I know I can just buy the Sena speakers but for $6 more you can get the whole clamp kit and I can always Hack it later if I want and have a 2nd base. When not using the speakers, my helmet has a perfect spot (between side and rear liners) to insert the little 4" cord and plug at the end of the speaker cable, so no problem there and it won't dangle.

If the speakers are not loud enough when connecting to the earbud clamp (due to the 75 ohm series resistors in that clamp), then I'll deal with that later. If so I plan to open it up and short across or otherwise bypass those resistors and that will fix the speakers. But then if the earbuds are too loud AND too volume sensitive (like if the first few jog positions give you: Faint, Loud and Bloody) I'll deal with one of several ways to insert a resistance inline, either inside the clamp kit by re-purposing the Aux In to be Speaker Out, or by an inline resistance outside of the clamp kit on the earbud line.

NEXT PROBLEM:

This is not strictly a Sena problem per se... so PM me if you have an idea.

This leaves the nagging issue of earbud cable management. The earbud clamp kit has a nice coiled cable that I think will help a lot on that end and prevent snags yanks. But what about the 2 wires coming down from your ears? I've tried lots of things but eventually they snag and sometimes rip an earbud clean out of my helmet (someday that will break an earbud in the middle of the Baja)... so what to do? Any good threads on this? I've looked.

I currently use this scheme: I epoxy'd a small powerful 3/8" neodymium magnet to the underside of my helmet on both sides near the front, then wrapped very fine wire around my earbud line. After I put my helmet on I just set the wire near the magnet and it holds it out of the way, but any real snag just releases. Kindof extreme and is only an 80% solution.

Ideas?

One more thing, in addition to the Boostaroo, I found this additional coiled inline volume control cable WITH COILS on it from an amazing site somebody just posted called PlugUp.com that also has short plain 3.5m extension cables 4", 12", 24" long) that you could cut in half to get male or female ends, both 3 conductor (for stereo) and 4 conductor (for iPhone/iPod control).

Thanks for everyone's ideas, I'm placing my Sena order today with senor Adam at RocketMoto. Support your fellow inmates AND be sure you have a warranty! The Sena website is very clear about this...

Old 03-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #2358
jeepinbanditrider
Dunkin Donuts Crasher

Oddometer: 1,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooker View Post

NEXT PROBLEM:

This is not strictly a Sena problem per se... so PM me if you have an idea.

This leaves the nagging issue of earbud cable management. The earbud clamp kit has a nice coiled cable that I think will help a lot on that end and prevent snags yanks. But what about the 2 wires coming down from your ears? I've tried lots of things but eventually they snag and sometimes rip an earbud clean out of my helmet (someday that will break an earbud in the middle of the Baja)... so what to do? Any good threads on this? I've looked.

I currently use this scheme: I epoxy'd a small powerful 3/8" neodymium magnet to the underside of my helmet on both sides near the front, then wrapped very fine wire around my earbud line. After I put my helmet on I just set the wire near the magnet and it holds it out of the way, but any real snag just releases. Kindof extreme and is only an 80% solution.

Ideas?
I use a set of SURE earbuds that have a short cord on them. They come with a long cord for attaching to other units but they are perfect for the SENA unit. Before I had those I just left the cord loose infront of me.
jeepinbanditrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #2359
mass-klr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I have a question about the SMH10. Do you leave the SMH10 on the helmet mount all the time or do you take it off sometimes. If you don't have it on the helmet would the open connection of the headset be ok if it rains?

Paved Roads are just another example of wasted Taxpayer Dollars
mass-klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #2360
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-klr View Post
I have a question about the SMH10. Do you leave the SMH10 on the helmet mount all the time or do you take it off sometimes. If you don't have it on the helmet would the open connection of the headset be ok if it rains?
Getting water in that connection is only a problem if you're using the headset at the time - DAMHIK.

In answer to the original question - Yes, I take it on and off all the time. I don't charge it on the helmet.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #2361
SF_Hooligan
Deadwood Original

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Getting water in that connection is only a problem if you're using the headset at the time - DAMHIK.

In answer to the original question - Yes, I take it on and off all the time. I don't charge it on the helmet.
Yup. Mine are a year and half old, at least. I take 'em on and off all the time and haven't experienced the bent pin issues other have. I also commute year-round on my bike and have had no issues caused by rain - I don't listen to music during my commute when it's raining because I want to focus (traffic in the SF Bay Area is gnarly enough in the dry).
SF_Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 AM   #2362
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,950
Quote:
I loop the earbud cable around my chin strap. If I snag anything it yanks the chin strap, not the buds out of my ears..

Another day, another foot injury!

Albie screwed with this post 03-09-2013 at 06:36 AM
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #2363
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:

3. Buy the earbud clamp kit and modify the internals to pick off the R/L signals BEFORE the 75 ohm resistors to connect the speakers to. The easiest would be to run a pair of wires out for the speakers and then add an inline jack you could tuck into your helmet liner, and add a plug on the speaker wires, then you would plug in the speakers only when you want them on. This gives you 0 ohms in series to drive the speakers OR 75 ohms to drive the earbuds (standard wiring in the unit). Optimal impedance matching hopefully.

So my question is... anybody have experience with these? Improvements? Did you use different series resistance for the earbuds vs. the speakers? THANKS!
I have tried this and way back somewhere reported with pics. The problem I had was it resulted in noise and range degradation. But that was an early unit. Maybe things are different now? The AUX hack seems like a nice clean approach, but I have not gotten around to it just yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 03-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #2364
snooker
AttitudeIsEverything

My dual pack universal SMH10's arrived today from RocketMoto, thanks!

I also got the Earbud mount kit and a Fixed boom for my wife's open face helmet. So far so good.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #2365
RocketMoto
2 Many Motersikles

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
My dual pack universal SMH10's arrived today from RocketMoto, thanks!

I also got the Earbud mount kit and a Fixed boom for my wife's open face helmet. So far so good.
Cool . Thanks for the business!
Autocom | TPX Radar/Laser | Sena Bluetooth
| Hi-Power LED Lights
Shorai Battery | Techmount | Powerlet | Rowe PDM60 | Skene Design

RocketMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #2366
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,270
On my way home for a ride yesterday with my wife my SMH10 started to pick up a lot of signal noise/static. Blowing into my mic would produce very loud noise (and this is audible on my wifes unit though blowing into her mic produced the normal sound one would expect) and after a period I started getting a buzzing noise. Once home I charged the unit - no help. I switched out my earbud clamp for the standard clamp - no help. So, the problem appears to be in the receiver unit. Almost like the background noise is amplified but speaking noises are normal level. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the solution?
Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #2367
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
On my way home for a ride yesterday with my wife my SMH10 started to pick up a lot of signal noise/static. Blowing into my mic would produce very loud noise (and this is audible on my wifes unit though blowing into her mic produced the normal sound one would expect) and after a period I started getting a buzzing noise. Once home I charged the unit - no help. I switched out my earbud clamp for the standard clamp - no help. So, the problem appears to be in the receiver unit. Almost like the background noise is amplified but speaking noises are normal level. Has anyone had this problem and if so what was the solution?
Thanks
Something similar to that was caused by a drop of water in the connector between the base and detachable unit.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #2368
swimmer
armchair asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Something similar to that was caused by a drop of water in the connector between the base and detachable unit.
Thanks. I wasn't around any water but I'll try cleaning the contacts nonetheless.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #2369
swimmer
armchair asshole

Cleaning didn't help. Works fine when Bluetooth connected to my phone but once connected to another Sena I start getting all kinds of noise.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #2370
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,901
Someone needs to invent a foam lined carrying box for the SMH10's to protect the pins. A plus would be if you could charge them while they are safely stored in this storage box.

These pins are going to be a problem. in So far in 1 year my unit was RMA's 2x and my wife's 1x for bent pins.
In fact I received one back from an RMA and received it with the pins bent. Sena stood behind it, but I see a trend here.

I really think they are getting bent either installing or removing from the helmet, but I would like a better way to transport them instead of trying to secure them in a box with tissue.