User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 10:07 PM   #31
tsprings
T-bone

Oddometer: 21
Chinese knock-offs

Anyone get a chance to test either of the Chinese/Hong Kong bluetooth intercoms that are listed on ebay yet?

I've been looking at them and am wondering if they are any good.

Anxious to hear the reviews.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #32
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
The intercom worked better than expected. I had once used a motocom system, which did not fair so well. That being my only intercom experience, the SMH10 really kicked ass. I like how that once it is paired, you can forget about it. with each ride all I had to do was turn it on and tap the jog dial button to activate the intercom. I was able to seamlessly switch from intercom, iphone music, and iphone phone calls just by tapping the large jog button. Wife and I went on a six hour ride and left the intercom on the whole time without any problems. My daughter and I also went on a ride after that and there was no indication of a low battery. When my daughter and I rode I was switching out between intercom and music quite a bit without issues.

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #33
NYCBrit
Transatlantic Rider

Oddometer: 31
I ordered a pair set today from British Motorcycle Gear, looking forward to getting them and trying them out.

NYCBrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #34
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
My order from RadioRider arrived on Monday the 19th 11 days after I ordered. So not to bad considering I paid 189 shipped. RadioRider also responded quickly to my follow up emails.

Have the unit paired up and working with my Droid and Garmin 2820. I had the issue of the music media audio cutting out after placing or receiving calls but it seemed to just correct itself? Not sure if I did something different when pairing it up after a few times or what it was? I can use the 2820 to navigate and place calls and the unit always picks back up with the music media on the Droid after the call or navigation voice is complete with the Garmin. This is my first bluetooth headset so I can not compare it to others but it works excellent for what I am using it for.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #35
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Looks like RadioRider is up to $209. Anybody cheaper out there?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:18 PM   #36
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 206
Has anyone tried to pair these with a two way radio?
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:54 PM   #37
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 7,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poweranger

Have the unit paired up and working with my Droid and Garmin 2820. I had the issue of the music media audio cutting out after placing or receiving calls but it seemed to just correct itself? Not sure if I did something different when pairing it up after a few times or what it was? I can use the 2820 to navigate and place calls and the unit always picks back up with the music media on the Droid after the call or navigation voice is complete with the Garmin. This is my first bluetooth headset so I can not compare it to others but it works excellent for what I am using it for.
Hmm. That's what I want to do with my zumo and iPhone, but it doesn't work. Sena says it's an iPhone issue. Bummed.
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #38
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon
That's what I'm waiting for is these 2 way radios to catch up and start offering BT built in so you can start using a 2 way radio to connect via a headset profile like a mobile phone would. That way you can talk over the BT intercom in full duplex say to your riding partner/spouse, but also still communicate with larger groups over the 2-way and actually use your BT Headset of choice. This way any of the BT headsets would allow you to able to talk on Two Way Radio's, CB's, FRS, GMRS, etc for longer distances and larger group rides where BT just doesn't physically meet the demand without giving up the convenience of full duplex for a one on one conversation when you still want to do that.

As far as I know right now there are only a couple BT hubs that accomplish this, but even that option is still pricey.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #39
Stomp
Imprisoned Wanderlust

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
Looks like RadioRider is up to $209. Anybody cheaper out there?
I just ordered mine on Ebay for $189 plus shipping. It arrived 2 days later. 30 minutes to install it onto my helmet, pair it to my Iphone and test it out. So easy and so good. Seriously. This is exactly what I was looking for; the ability to listen to music while riding and take an occasional call while riding.

As for the rain worthiness, my first ride with it this morning; pouring rain and lots of wind. Works great, plenty loud (with good sound quality, IMO) and seemingly water proof (or at least resistant).
Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #40
Wingspan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Has anyone had problems using the phone. My wife has called me a few times while I've been riding. Sometimes it's fantastic, she says there is no wind noise and she can't tell I'm on the bike. Other times there is no volume on her end and I have yell for her to hear me. I think it may be tied to the noise cancelling of the Sena because it's variable. Yesterday she could barely hear me while I was stopped but once I was on the move the problem went away. The volume issue seems to fade in and out as though a volume knob is being turned as opposed to cutting in and out as you might expect from a loose or borken wire.

Anyone else experience this?

Still loving the Sena overall. :)
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #41
kevin2735
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Hmm. That's what I want to do with my zumo and iPhone, but it doesn't work. Sena says it's an iPhone issue. Bummed.
I have the Zumo 660, but chose not to pair it. For me, having the voice prompts, intercom, and phone is just too much going on. I pair with the iPhone and use that for music and phone. As for the Zumo, I find it just as easy to follow without voice prompts.

http://kevin2735.blogspot.com/
kevin2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #42
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2735
I have the Zumo 660, but chose not to pair it. For me, having the voice prompts, intercom, and phone is just too much going on. I pair with the iPhone and use that for music and phone. As for the Zumo, I find it just as easy to follow without voice prompts.
I'm not sure how the settings are on the Zumo 660, but on my 2820, you can set how much info it actually tells you. (I.E. you can turn off status updates, change the voice prompts to just tones, or off completely). You can also turn off the button tones and stuff so it doesn't actually transmit that to your headset everytime you press a button or do something.

On my 2820, I just keep a tone on for turns coming up just to get my attention in case I'm not watching the GPS. That seems to be just enough to get my attention and not be totally in your face about every little thing its doing.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #43
WZ4I
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon
Yes I have. I took a Jabra Bluetooth adapter and rewired it to work with Kenwood TH-F6 HandieTalkie. It worked like a champ.. Simplex or via a repeater. It should be just a easy to do this with a FRS rig.
WZ4I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #44
H53driver
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WZ4I
Yes I have. I took a Jabra Bluetooth adapter and rewired it to work with Kenwood TH-F6 HandieTalkie. It worked like a champ.. Simplex or via a repeater. It should be just a easy to do this with a FRS rig.
First post on this forum.

Hey WZ4I, can you elaborate a little on your Kenwood radio setup. I've been following this BT thing for a few years now, and am just about to buy these Senas...but have always wondered if a BT FRS/GMRS would work. I have 3 pairs of Motorolas (been buying better range sets every few years), and if someone ever makes a relatively inexpensive set with BT, and it works with these Sena, everyone could have every connection they ever dreamed of!

Thanks
H53driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
WZ4I
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by H53driver
First post on this forum.

Hey WZ4I, can you elaborate a little on your Kenwood radio setup. I've been following this BT thing for a few years now, and am just about to buy these Senas...but have always wondered if a BT FRS/GMRS would work. I have 3 pairs of Motorolas (been buying better range sets every few years), and if someone ever makes a relatively inexpensive set with BT, and it works with these Sena, everyone could have every connection they ever dreamed of!

Thanks

Sure. Actually, it quite easy to make.

1st you need to find a Jabra A210 Bluetooth Adapter. Look on eBay and Amazon. Now to make it easy, you need to locate a "cheap" throat mic system that has the PTT switch for the model of radio that you plan to use. I found mine on eBay for $10.00. Since I hold a FCC Amateur Radio License, I used my Kenwood TH-F6 Handie-Talkie, which will also operate on the 462Mhz FRS freqs. But any FRS transceiver should work, as long as you can find the throat mic system. Once you have all 3 pieces, cut the mic part off of the throat mic, you don't need it. All you want is the PTT switch, the MIC/SPKR connector, and cabling. Open up the Jabra, and unsolder the 4 wires that lead to the connector (you MUST have a very nice soldering system cause we're talking about small stuff here). The Jabra has Audio In, 2 gnds, and Audio Out. If I re-call the 2 center connections were gnd, the one on the left was audio in, and the one on the right was audio out. Take a ohm meter and figure out which wire in the throat mic is audio in, gnd, and audio out. Then simply solder the wires to the correct pads in the Jabra. If you don't want to open the Jabra up, you could wire a 2.5mm female plug to the throat mic cable, but I like the direct connection method. The PTT switch just sticks to a piece of Velcro on my left grip. Pair the Jabra to the Sena, and your finished... It took me about 15 minutes to do the complete job.

Watch this video and you may get a better understanding... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ypVUoRVv3U

I did not have to make the box like in the video. That's why I used a pre-constructed throat mic..

Radio to radio we get several miles.. Radio thru a repeater over 100 miles, depending on the repeater of course...

The photo is of the actual setup that I made...

The Sena headset works so good, I seldom ever use the radio setup anymore.

Good luck!!

WZ4I screwed with this post 04-24-2010 at 03:51 AM
WZ4I is offline   Reply With Quote