ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #16441
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
I just rode by there on a sunday loop up to Roxboro and onto Yanceyville...my new route to get beyond durham without going thru it is to take 98 to new light rd to old weaver trail...to cash...into Butner then out old oxford rd to stagville rd the out that to orange Factory...that take you out to 501 well outside of durham...any number of back roads to meander into Roxboro but i stayed on 501 into town then head west on 158 to yanceyville...didnt quite make it as i was heading into storm clouds that were getting darker with each mile heading west ...since i did not have my raingear with me...I decided to abort the run and did a roundabout return that had me going back through stagville instaed of Butner..I kkne this route would take me to geer st and then back to stallings rd which heads back to 98...and where that comes out is exactly at Johnson's Family BBQ..2 pm and hadnt eaten lunch and was hypoglyciemic so had to stop.. gotta redo the run to yanceyville...theres a courthouse i want to grab some pics of...it has the most grand archetecture...y'all prolly already know...but it just looks so awesome I have to see it myself....

Funny.
We were on the same roads most of the day then. Grabbed BHW's tag and then just headed out 98 to Stallings at Johnson's Barbecue. Headed up to Butner via Cheek and Cash after getting the airport tag. Road the Range Road loop figuring that Forrest would drop it somewhere near Rougemont....
Came back via Old 75, through Butner, Cash Rd, Old Weaver, New Light, Six Forks.

The roads around Stagville and Rougemont have a lot of taggable stuff. Your route to Roxboro is the way I usually go to Danville, but I go across Hyco Lake past VIR at Milton and then 58 West. I have come back via 86 through Yanceyville if I'm in a hurry, but I don't really care much for 86.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #16442
Forrest6775
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Anyone going to VIR next weekend for the bike races?
Forrest6775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #16443
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

What series is it? I know the AMA Superbikes pulled out of there a couple/few years ago. I've got a couple friends that race WERA and CCS.

Edit: Found my own answer:

http://virnow.com/events/ccs-15th-an...le-roadracing/

Old 06-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #16444
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Funny.
We were on the same roads most of the day then. Grabbed BHW's tag and then just headed out 98 to Stallings at Johnson's Barbecue. Headed up to Butner via Cheek and Cash after getting the airport tag. Road the Range Road loop figuring that Forrest would drop it somewhere near Rougemont....
Came back via Old 75, through Butner, Cash Rd, Old Weaver, New Light, Six Forks.

The roads around Stagville and Rougemont have a lot of taggable stuff. Your route to Roxboro is the way I usually go to Danville, but I go across Hyco Lake past VIR at Milton and then 58 West. I have come back via 86 through Yanceyville if I'm in a hurry, but I don't really care much for 86.
I love this area too...i'm still learning where everything goes....I wanted to grab some pics of the Caswell county courthouse in Yanceyville but like i said the weather was gonna get nasty so i bailed...I've been on 86 numerous times and its alright...a bit boring because its so long and straight but you can make pretty good time ...i'm sure there are other routes prolly more interesting too...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #16445
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I love this area too...i'm still learning where everything goes....I wanted to grab some pics of the Caswell county courthouse in Yanceyville but like i said the weather was gonna get nasty so i bailed...I've been on 86 numerous times and its alright...a bit boring because its so long and straight but you can make pretty good time ...i'm sure there are other routes prolly more interesting too...
You can cut across 158 to Oxford from Yanceyville through Roxoboro. It's a pretty decent road.

Actually, 158 goes all the way to the Outer Banks, if you're so inclined. I think Mr. and Mrs. Donkeys did that whole route a couple years ago.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:31 PM   #16446
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,751
Dang a tag in Apex and it's still standing?? I need to get my arse on the bike.
That airport looked pretty cool. Accidental finds are the best.

You got this via Crapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:32 PM   #16447
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
You can cut across 158 to Oxford from Yanceyville through Roxoboro. It's a pretty decent road.

Actually, 158 goes all the way to the Outer Banks, if you're so inclined. I think Mr. and Mrs. Donkeys did that whole route a couple years ago.
i was on 158 W from Roxboro...but skies were getting less friendly by the mile so I did a 180...I've been on the stretch of 158 from Oxford to Roxboro but have yet to take it much further west...there are alot of great riding roads around this area and one does not need to spend a whole day to get there.
I want to take a dayride to Pilot mtn but again i dont want to go through greenboro or winston salem....I think i have found a route that would work...involving 158 west Past reidsville past Stokedale.... to NC66 take that 15 miles and the road splits with old Hwy52 which will lead into Pilot mtn...looks like a cool ride...now I just need the right day and weather...

STBNE screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 03:37 PM
Old 06-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #16448
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
i was on 158 W from Roxboro...but skies were getting less friendly by the mile so I did a 180...I've been on the stretch of 158 from Oxford to Roxboro but have yet to take it much further west...there are alot of great riding roads around this area and one does not need to spend a whole day to get there.
Pretty much everything north of Raleigh has its own charm. We spent the day up around Medoc Mountain yesterday and found a lot of good riding. 5 minutes and I'm out of Raleigh and can ride for miles without seeing another vehicle.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:36 PM   #16449
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
We walked around that airport for about an hour taking pictures. Lots of old planes, a couple experimental planes, etc. It was at the end of a road marked "No Exit" or similar. Just randomly decided to ride up it. It pretty much dead ends about 50' before running into I-85.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #16450
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,428
Quote:
Welcome to my world. I live 7 miles south of the Caswell county line and not much more from the Person county line. I take the Triumph up to Fox's for service and love my country road fix between here and Oxford.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #16451
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post

You got this via Crapatalk
Thats not the first time its been tagged either...
Old 06-08-2014, 03:42 PM   #16452
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thats not the first time its been tagged either...

That airport? Really? Not surprised, but never saw it before.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #16453
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Welcome to my world. I live 7 miles south of the Caswell county line and not much more from the Person county line. I take the Triumph up to Fox's for service and love my country road fix between here and Oxford.
Yep...theres not much traffic on these roads so if you get stuck behind some old person hunched over the steering wheel you can pretty much pass them at will...within reason ofc...

STBNE screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 04:20 PM
Old 06-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #16454
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
That airport? Really? Not surprised, but never saw it before.
Not sure I recall who tagged it but i made the grab...it was back in 2010 or 2011...Let me see if i can find it...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...62421&page=205

STBNE screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 04:14 PM
Old 06-08-2014, 04:38 PM   #16455
BlueM00se
'Cuse LAX Fan

Oddometer: 988
I hate the weather guessers. We spent the afternoon water sealing our screen porch/deck and my mother-in-laws deck. No forecast of rain within 24 hours as suggested on the label. Four hours after we finish the rain starts

Moral of the story, more riding, less home maintenance!!
Rodney Atkins from "Take A Back Road"
BlueM00se is online now   Reply With Quote