ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #16621
BlueM00se
'Cuse LAX Fan

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen View Post
So a rare thing for me today.

Right at the end of dusk, I am leaving Hillsborough out Orange Grove Rd heading home. I am aware at a stop sign of a car behind and a bike behind that. We all three turn left after each stopping so we are a little spread out as we head down the road. The car between me and the bike behind slows and turns off. As I am overtaking a car ahead I see another two wheels in front of it. At the rate I am overtaking them, I realize it is a moped as the speed limit is just at the point of having changed from 35 to 45 and they are still bunched up at 35. Just as I overtake the car behind the moped, we get to a passing area, the car in front pulls left to pass it, I signal that I am doing the same with two left blinks as the dual sport bike is over taking me. I then am accelerating moderately along with the car in front of me and we are pretty tight together. It pulls in and I flash two right signals and pull back over as there is on coming traffic about 75 yds ahead. Well the dual sport dude then decides to pass us both but only then sees the on coming traffic as he starts around me. He then commits and has to accelerate hard, brakes and pulls into the tight space between me and the car ahead while the oncoming car is braking and flashing lights. I ease back a little but not a lot. I probably am a second behind him and we are running about 45. He is much tighter on the car ahead. At the next light 3/4 mile up on this rural road, is a stale red and all slow, but I slow even more as I will turn onto my road here. It turns green as the front car is slowing. So he looks back and forward several quick times as he is right on the car ahead still while I have drifted back. He thing turns back again....

And....

And.....

And...

Gives ME the finger.

Go figure.

NCS

He's an inmate.

Giving you the ADV Salute.

And no, it wasn't me!
Rodney Atkins from "Take A Back Road"
BlueM00se is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:08 PM   #16622
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,358
He was flipping off the moped... I'm just glad I'm not reading about an accident because thats where i thought this was headed......buddy of mine just totaled his Harley not 2 miles from my house...he walked away but was not wearing a real helmet and got his face all scraped up...not like road rash but more like a severe case of sunburn...
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:38 AM   #16623
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Good mornin' Grab

There is a sweet-spot with time between the deer being done feeding and people waking up. My timing is off today. A lot of big ears focusing their radar on me.

mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #16624
mmonce
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
New tag

Like any descent BBQ joint, they are closed on Sundays. However, great roads around the area & Maple View Ice Cream is just around the corner.

mmonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #16625
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Hard to beat the early bird tagger... New tag is along ride for being closed....That is the location I have eaten at before... Never been to the Pittsboro location..
was on 264 heading to Zebulon yesterday and for the first time i see new highway route signs saying "Future 495" so am wondering whats up...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

STBNE screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 06:49 AM
Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #16626
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
So, is Allen & Sons the single most re-used tag in this game now?

Walking out the door for a ride this morning. Tag is VERY safe from me though!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:02 AM   #16627
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,042
Deer whistles

.. I installed two of these Amazon sells for few bucks on front fender.. call me a believer.. deer runs AWAY from the road every time I see them. Of course that can be just pure chance. Here is where I was yesterday

Dracula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #16628
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

IMHO Deer whistles are useless...but hey if you think they are working for you then thats good...but the main consensus is that they are a waste of money.
BTW I am a little envious of where you were yesterday...I have been meaning to get out to Pilot mtn for some time now...
Old 06-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #16629
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,108
Deer whistles are a gimmick, and in no way, shape or form do they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4F9vrmtQQ

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/3...t-by-fred-rau/

And etc.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #16630
Mtbcoach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
IMHO Deer whistles are useless...but hey if you think they are working for you then thats good...but the main consensus is that they are a waste of money.
X2, before moving to NC, my CA commute home from the Silicon Valley to Santa Cruz was in the evening, on my KLR650, thru a high deer population like we have out here. I researched, talked to California Highway Patrol veterans, researched some more, tried some and eventually decided there was nothing I could do but slow down and be ready. Few things scare me more than being settled into a turn to see Bambi halfway in the lane.

IMHO, the false sense of security was too dangerous for me. I decided I'd rather be on high alert than believing they work or not. Even living in the middle of yuppiedom Cary, I see deer feeding on the center island of Davis Dr, Cary Parkway and see them all over Prestonwood Golf Course. I've just come to the understanding they are another constant hazard like people on phones...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Mtbcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #16631
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

I'll tell you what actually works to scatter deer away from you...an aftermarket exhaust on your bike...my '82 XJ had a 4to1 kerker pipe and on deaccell it would pop and backfire a little and deer absolutely run...even if you are accelerating the sound of the pipe was loud and all wildlife would scatter...that has been my experience...
Old 06-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #16632
Mtbcoach
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW View Post
Deer whistles are a gimmick, and in no way, shape or form do they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4F9vrmtQQ

http://www.thevog.net/forum/thread/3...t-by-fred-rau/

And etc.
Thanks for the links, I had not seen those before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
I'll tell you what actually works to scatter deer away from you...an aftermarket exhaust on your bike...my '82 XJ had a 4to1 kerker pipe and on deaccell it would pop and backfire a little and deer absolutely run...even if you are accelerating the sound of the pipe was loud and all wildlife would scatter...that has been my experience...
Thaaaaat's why I put the Akro on my GSA...
'77 Toyota FJ45
Mtbcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #16633
Dracula
Deus ex machina

I agree these whistles are likely just more of a talisman (cheap at five bucks) than scientifically proven devices.. still keep my eyes peeled and high beam (HID) on whenever possible. Come to think of it, a pair of Glenda lights may work better. The one and only accident I had was many years ago when a shepherd dog jumped at my then Jawa 350 and inserted itself right between the front wheel and motor. That wasn't pretty and ever since I slow way down for animals in the road or near it. Still I think allot has to do with luck if one really needs to travel at night.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #16634
Dracula
Deus ex machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtbcoach View Post
Thanks for the links, I had not seen those before...

Thaaaaat's why I put the Akro on my GSA...
my GS has the sound of a sewing machine, I guess I better do something about it
Old 06-22-2014, 12:41 PM   #16635
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

My 82 XJ with Kerker anti-wildlife scatter device...