ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM   #5551
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Got my first tag with this ;-)

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #5552
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,279
hooked the phone up as a high speed modem. I have an older, way outdated plan though (5 years? 6? I forget)... The newer plans charge extra $$ to use the newer phones at a wifi hotspot (but not too much more than a normal data plan, so it's becoming a better deal all the time).... still a PITA to lug around a laptop (which I would only do if going a long distance for the NCTOR).

eventually I'll end up with a smart phone I suppose..... the sad thing is - the only reason I would even consider getting one is to stop getting bruced on longer runs (I find technology doesn't make life more simple, or enjoyable in most cases - I'm happiest with the phone and laptop turned off in the middle of nowhere, just watching the clouds go by.... so I need to win the lottery to be able to just up and go!)
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #5553
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Got my first tag with this ;-)
Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk
crap. Another tapatalk tagger. Now I have to get a smartphone!

sent from my desktop using keyboard
Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #5554
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnabba View Post
hooked the phone up as a high speed modem. I have an older, way outdated plan though (5 years? 6? I forget)... The newer plans charge extra $$ to use the newer phones at a wifi hotspot (but not too much more than a normal data plan, so it's becoming a better deal all the time).... still a PITA to lug around a laptop (which I would only do if going a long distance for the NCTOR).

eventually I'll end up with a smart phone I suppose..... the sad thing is - the only reason I would even consider getting one is to stop getting bruced on longer runs (I find technology doesn't make life more simple, or enjoyable in most cases - I'm happiest with the phone and laptop turned off in the middle of nowhere, just watching the clouds go by.... so I need to win the lottery to be able to just up and go!)
I won't say that the fact that I'd have to scramble to get it posted was the deciding factor in not going to the other end of the state for the NCTOR this weekend, but it certainly contributed.

Let me know when you're planning on taking the lottery jackpot. I'll go for a different weekend.

Finding some cheap tablets out there (~$75), but can't really determine how worthwhile they are yet. I could throw a tablet in a jacket pocket. Still haven't gotten any luggage for the Versys yet, so I'd have to do that as well to take one of the laptops around here.

Screw it. Time to go ride. Some more. Certainly not less.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:48 AM   #5555
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

bout to go ride myself... gotta go meet family in holly springs.... and I'm trying to make my rear tire look like rugby's old one (got new ones on the way).
Old 12-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #5556
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,909
Last tag was #604 this is #605

Everything you need to know is in the pic... Cant do anymore riding today...I have what feels like a pinched nerve in my neck and I've been pushing the past 2 days just getting out there...not good 'cause I cant turn my head without turning my torso....otherwise I'd be sitting along the roadside some where ready to pounce on the nexttag
Attached Images

STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #5557
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Everything you need to know is in the pic... Cant do anymore riding today...I have what feels like a pinched nerve in my neck and I've been pushing the past 2 days just getting out there...not good 'cause I cant turn my head without turning my torso....otherwise I'd be sitting along the roadside some where ready to pounce on the nexttag
I think I've tagged that in the past, but can't find it. If I'm not mistaken, there are some seriously fun looking rock piles back in the woods there that almost made me haul the trials bike out there last year.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM   #5558
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
I think I've tagged that in the past, but can't find it. If I'm not mistaken, there are some seriously fun looking rock piles back in the woods there that almost made me haul the trials bike out there last year.
yeah its neat to finally be able to see thru the woods...I saw a few roads that were off the beaten path that I would have been tempted to ride had I something more suitable...something was tagged off Possum Track but I dont think it was at this site,but I could be wrong...
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 AM   #5559
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
yeah its neat to finally be able to see thru the woods...I saw a few roads that were off the beaten path that I would have been tempted to ride had I something more suitable...something was tagged off Possum Track but I dont think it was at this site,but I could be wrong...
Rephrase: I think I took a bunch of pics out that way a year or so ago. I don't think I posted a tag there, but had file pics.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #5560
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Ok no problem go for it...

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #5561
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

605 grab

Quote:
Ok no problem go for it...
Trying not to hog all the tags - I snagged this around 1 or so, but didn't get near a PC until just now when getting home.

The end of Possum Track off Six Forks and Bayleaf Somethingorother:

This is one of the rock piles I was talking about right near the end of that road. If I had this in my back yard, I'd have never sold the trials bike. Actually, that's about one camera frame to the left standing in the same spot as the tag shot. I'm sure that's all private land back there. Need to meet the land owner and let him know how wonderful riding trials is.

Trying to figure out where to put the next one. Found a few cool shots out near Jordon Lake today but have a feeling they'll sit all week if I post one of them.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #5562
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Tag 606

I figured this would be easy to figure out by the sign, but it seems there are 10 or 12 of these around Falls Lake. According to what I've found, this one is called the Lick Creek Impoundment. The sign is in a small field at the end of a short gravel road just off a mostly two lane road running between Wake Forest and Durham. If I was to jumble up the digits in the route number, it would be Highway 89. Hint: it's NOT 89, but it's a two digit road and it's those two digits. Not in that order.

The field was somewhat soft last weekend when this shot was taken, so use your best judgement about where to put your kickstand down. If we get any rain between now and then, I wouldn't bother at all trying to get close. If the gravel road looks sketchy, there's a small sign on the main road that'll be acceptable. Oh yeah, there's a sign on the main road that lets you know this is the place, but does not mention it by name. Just says something like "Waterfowl Impoundment".

It's about 3 miles west of Highway 05 (<-that's the jumbled version of the highway number)

Super secret GPS coordinates at the bottom of this post.

Tag shot:

The sign itself:

GPS coordinates (not jumbled): 35.98056,-78.7374

wb57 screwed with this post 12-04-2011 at 02:25 PM
Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #5563
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

neat tag...definitely not done before...but I've passed it many times...i might have gone by it today but wasnt paying attn...
Old 12-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #5564
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

I always figured a waterfowl impoudment was where they kept your ducks or geese if you had too many parking tickets and they towed you...

yeah - there are a few that I have seen on different sides of the lake. One up near creech road too (not far from that one).
Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM   #5565
FirstLight
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post

Tag shot:

GPS coordinates (not jumbled): 35.98056,-78.7374
HA! I was literally standing in front of this sign yesterday... wondered where that dirt road went. No pic, no grab...so someone else will have to grab this. I love riding up there, probably some of the best that is really quick to get to from RTP.

EDIT...after seeing your super secret GPS, I see I was looking at a different (but the same) sign in another area off Patterson.
FirstLight is offline   Reply With Quote