ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #7081
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
I really want an R80 GS (from back when BMW knew how to make bikes) but doubt I'll ever find the one I'm dreaming of.

As an alternative a 1200, 1150, 1100, or mutant HP2 would do nicely though....thinned down (and hit with a cutting torch if necessary) to remove all the crap BMW bolts onto the frames...also rewired to get rid of a majority of the extra wiring BMW runs to power all the crap they put on their bikes now...things like accessory plugs that aren't even powerful enough to run your air compressor (what good is something like that on an "adventure" bike. That kind of junk is just dead weight if you ask me.

I test road a 990 adventure before I bought the F800. The 990 just didn't grab me. It felt as heavy and porky as it is. It really felt massive next to either the F800 or the 1200GS. I knew it was too big for the way I wanted to ride it. The F800 just felt worlds lighter than the KTM and if I was going for Porky I'd have gotten an engine with more than 1000 ccs.

...little did I know at the time about BMWs quality control woes and their transition to CCC (that's cheap chinese crap) parts suppliers...affects all BMW bikes post about 2007 (hence no more new BMWs for me). But I sure did get fooled by that pretty F800 on the showroom floor. It "looked" quality even if the truth was far from how it looked.

Since KTM doesn't have any plans to throw a 690 adventure into production what I'm really aiming my target at right now is a 2014 KTM 1290 Adventure and hoping they don't screw it up by adding all kinds of accessories into the stock build that people like me would rather just tear off once we get it home. Either that or I'm saving my pennies to throw down the money for a Ralleye/adventure kit for the 690.

1290 Adventure in testing

To look something like this concept bike for the finished product

I'm hoping KTM doesn't screw this up like BMW did with the F800. All they would have to do to ruin their reputation the way BMW has is to skimp on something like an oil seal or wheel bearing (both of which are known BMW issues).

Flashback screwed with this post 05-29-2012 at 10:35 PM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #7082
SpeedyG942
Gas Man

Oddometer: 454
Eek Bike chatter

Good rainy day web surfing for our "off tag" conversation

http://www.hpn.de/english/english.html

I have been having thoughts of narrowing my fleet. I really love my 92 r100 gspd but since the Tenere moved in in I just don't ride it much anymore. So far I have not been able to bring myself to sell it....I only gripe about it when there is no room in the garage and I have to feed the DMV for inspection & license renewal. There is a certain simplicity with that bike that cannot be replaced at the local dealerships.
SpeedyG942 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:08 PM   #7083
hscrugby
"That guy"

Oddometer: 4,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyG942 View Post
Good rainy day web surfing for our "off tag" conversation

http://www.hpn.de/english/english.html

I have been having thoughts of narrowing my fleet. I really love my 92 r100 gspd but since the Tenere moved in in I just don't ride it much anymore. So far I have not been able to bring myself to sell it....I only gripe about it when there is no room in the garage and I have to feed the DMV for inspection & license renewal. There is a certain simplicity with that bike that cannot be replaced at the local dealerships.
i like the link to the pikes peak race to the clouds.

I want to ride up pikes peak bad. I got a "warning" when I went up it in a Lincoln LS V8.
they told me it looked like I was in control, but you're not supposed to be sideways on most corners. It won't be as fun now, since I think they paved the last of the dirt. :(
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #7084
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post

I'm hoping KTM doesn't screw this up like BMW did with the F800. All they would have to do to ruin their reputation the way BMW has is to skimp on something like an oil seal or wheel bearing (both of which are known BMW issues).

Typically, KTM OEM parts are better to far better than what's available aftermarket. At least in the dirt bike world. Never owned a street KTM, but I'd gladly jump in with both feet and many paychecks.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #7085
hscrugby
"That guy"

()$@)($)(_(@%_%@

Attempt 1. Can't find it cause no gps, and good smart phone's battery is dead. (I swear I must have rode right past it and didn't see it)
Attempt 2. Rush home from work, change, take off. Get to tag planning on running further east for NC tag. Go to take picture, realize not only do I not have my phone, I don't even have my iPod with video camera because I traded iPods with wife. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Oh well, Ben, go grab these damn tags.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #7086
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 6,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
()$@)($)(_(@%_%@

Attempt 1. Can't find it cause no gps, and good smart phone's battery is dead. (I swear I must have rode right past it and didn't see it)
Attempt 2. Rush home from work, change, take off. Get to tag planning on running further east for NC tag. Go to take picture, realize not only do I not have my phone, I don't even have my iPod with video camera because I traded iPods with wife. FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

Oh well, Ben, go grab these damn tags.
I know where thus is ofc but am decompressing after 1500 mile weekend of which Monday was 625 miles almost entirely on backroads...I should be up to speed by the weekend though. Just one more week of school after this and you'll be seeing more of me...LOL Travel plans have changed and this summer is explore NC touring...I want to see some of the pretty sights in the mtns...where is that road with the waterfall over it?
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #7087
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
I know where thus is ofc but am decompressing after 1500 mile weekend of which Monday was 625 miles almost entirely on backroads...I should be up to speed by the weekend though. Just one more week of school after this and you'll be seeing more of me...LOL Travel plans have changed and this summer is explore NC touring...I want to see some of the pretty sights in the mtns...where is that road with the waterfall over it?
West of here on 64. The tag is east of here on 64. Don't get confused.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Watki...2,51.4,,0,0.81
Old 05-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #7088
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
West of here. The tag is east of here. Don't get confused.
I aint confuzzeled...I know the tags is east but this summer i'm headin west
Old 05-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #7089
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
I aint confuzzeled...I know the tags is east but this summer i'm headin west
I figured the same road number might have you thinking they are close and all. :)
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #7090
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

BTW my Memorial Day weekend Yamaha Rally pics in S.E. Ohio...it was effing hot too Sat saw 94 and Sunday was hotter than that...ride home Monday was awesome..both the weather and routes home anyways heres my PB album..enjoy...
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...XSEast%202012/
Old 05-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #7091
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
Nice pics Benny. Especially the last one of Pilot Mountain.

Sent from Chad's iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #7092
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,124
.. nice to see they got that huge boulder out of the way .. though it was kinda kewl to have a pic of the waterfall and the boulder next to your bike .. lol ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #7093
KingJarhead
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,913
Quote:
BTW my Memorial Day weekend Yamaha Rally pics in S.E. Ohio...it was effing hot too Sat saw 94 and Sunday was hotter than that...ride home Monday was awesome..both the weather and routes home anyways heres my PB album..enjoy...
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...XSEast%202012/
The picture of Pilot Mtn is almost the same view I have from my driveway.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:01 PM   #7094
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,762
KJH go head and rub it in lol!

Sent from Chad's iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #7095
hscrugby
"That guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJarhead View Post
The picture of Pilot Mtn is almost the same view I have from my driveway.
Must resist urge to place flaming bag of poo......