ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #7546
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Oddometer: 5,716
WTF??? Is this a tag thread or a frickin chat room...you all go ride .........I think we need our own mindless dickery thread to cut down this un necessary chatter:

Sent from my LGL55C using Tapatalk 2

2001 Honda ST1100...STOC#7000
1979 Yamaha XS1100F Go Your Own Way
"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
STBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #7547
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Walker...I was wondering where you've been...sorry to hear of the innury...glad it isn't serious considering the alternatives...ok enuf chatter c

"Never too Far...Never too cold...Never too wet..." Moonshine Lunch Run Mantra... RIP Terry Hammond
Old 06-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #7548
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
WTF??? Is this a tag thread or a frickin chat room...you all go ride .........I think we need our own mindless dickery thread to cut down this un necessary chatter:

I have not been on the bike in 2 days. I try not to ride in this good weather. I'd rather be doing other stuff like jogging in 95 degree temps, fishing, or surfing.

Now give me 30 degrees with freezing rain and ice and I'm happy as a clam in the saddle. I think that's a holdover from the military days when I'd spend hours hanging out of a helicopter over the cold north pacific in a dry suit with ice crystals forming on my helmet microphone in 60 mph winds that were barely above freezing.

Loved that job. Never had a better or more fulfilling job since, will never get the chance to do it again. We all have regrets and choosing to get out of the military to go to college always been one of mine.

You know this one time we were pulling a couple off a sailboat about 500 miles west of Seattle when a set of rogue waves came through. I shit you not that I saw the hoist cable go slack and next thing I knew the wave was bearing down onto the helicopter. The sailboat was suddenly above us too. Never had that experience before, never since. I lived for those kinds of days. Didn't realize how happy I was and how satisfied I was with my job until it was over and I couldn't go back.

Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #7549
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Now give me 30 degrees with freezing rain and ice and I'm happy as a clam in the saddle. I think that's a holdover from the military days when I'd spend hours hanging out of a helicopter over the cold north pacific in a dry suit with ice crystals forming on my helmet microphone in 60 mph winds that were barely above freezing.

Loved that job. Never had a better or more fulfilling job since, will never get the chance to do it again. We all have regrets and choosing to get out of the military to go to college always been one of mine.

You know this one time we were pulling a couple off a sailboat about 500 miles west of Seattle when a set of rogue waves came through. I shit you not that I saw the hoist cable go slack and next thing I knew the wave was bearing down onto the helicopter. The sailboat was suddenly above us too. Never had that experience before, never since. I lived for those kinds of days. Didn't realize how happy I was and how satisfied I was with my job until it was over and I couldn't go back.
Is it just me or does Flash's stories remind you of that old story teller from Rocky and Bullwinkle Show?
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #7550
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by STBNE View Post
Walker...I was wondering where you've been...sorry to hear of the innury...glad it isn't serious considering the alternatives...ok enuf chatter c

yeah - you guys know how I am about "less talk, more riding!" 2 weeks and I can walk on it.... but don't want to set it back.

I'll be riding before the middle of july.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #7551
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_NC View Post
Is it just me or does Flash's stories remind you of that old story teller from Rocky and Bullwinkle Show?
.. hell, I just keep praying none of them start off with "this one time, at band camp" ..

RevBill screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 05:45 PM
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #7552
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
I have not been on the bike in 2 days. I try not to ride in this good weather. I'd rather be doing other stuff like jogging in 95 degree temps, fishing, or surfing.

thats pretty intrepid

STBNE screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 02:04 PM
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #7553
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

it does sound pretty cool. I work with computers. Boring and it sucks.

That sounds rockin.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #7554
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
lonewolf97

Has anybody got a better map of the tag borders than the one on the first page? I wouldn't want to get banned to Va. I hope you guys are kidding about that.
lonewolf97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #7555
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
Has anybody got a better map of the tag borders than the one on the first page? I wouldn't want to get banned to Va. I hope you guys are kidding about that.
Check the link in my signature line.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #7556
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

click on the link in flash's signature - he has the google maps link for the boundaries... you can zoom in and everything.

I think people here are a little more forgiving. If you get out and ride, grab and tag, it's all good. You might get some ribbing for it - but keep it moving man!!!

here is a different version I have bookmarked
Old 06-24-2012, 05:16 PM   #7557
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnabba;18983804
[URL="https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=214094825920392617540.0004b477bbdb87711129 7&msa=0&ll=35.745655,-78.810887&spn=1.190357,2.469177"
here is a different version I have bookmarked[/URL]
Yah that's mine too. I had almost forgotten that I'd made that map.

And if you want to download it to KML you can do so using this link:

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6q...0FMblVieGFWaFU

Old 06-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #7558
STBNE
Yamaha ADVenturer

Welp since we is all jawin and not taggin...heres my pix from OH-STOC in SE Ohio...not alot of scenery shots too busy ridin... still a ton of good fun
http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...20STOC%202012/

Old 06-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #7559
schnabba
Beastly Adventurer

hey - I'd be out there taggin - just can't figure out how to keep the crutches strapped nicely to the bike!

awesome pics there benny!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #7560
Chad_NC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnabba View Post
hey - I'd be out there taggin - just can't figure out how to keep the crutches strapped nicely to the bike!

awesome pics there benny!
Duct tape, lots and lots of duct tape
Chad_NC is offline   Reply With Quote