ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #13651
BlueM00se
'Cuse LAX Fan
 
BlueM00se's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: South Wake, NC
Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Okay. I'm going to go ahead and win the Powerball lottery tonight. Feel free to put in your new bike requests now.
I won't be greedy. I'll just take that Connie you'll be replacing!
__________________
So sick and tired of this interstate system
I need a curve and a wind-a-twistin'
Dusty path to nowhere
Rodney Atkins from "Take A Back Road"
BlueM00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #13652
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueM00se View Post
I won't be greedy. I'll just take that Connie you'll be replacing!
You can have a new one. This one's a lifetime keeper.
Side note: I have a friend in Charlotte that has a nearby dealer with new, leftover 2013s that he's selling for about 12K.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #13653
hscrugby
"That guy"
 
hscrugby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,976
I just need to figure out why my Damn bike isn't working..
__________________
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/585928
Feel free to donate money either to my page, or their general fund.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #13654
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
I just need to figure out why my Damn bike isn't working..
1) take advantage of the knowledge here and post the symptoms, etc.
2) post to KTMtalk
3) post to FB RMD

Tons of good knowledge in all three places.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #13655
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
From another source:

Before going to the CDI system go ahead and check the kill switches including the side stand switch, with an Ohmmeter. How good is the battery? Check the fuses. Check the wiring harness. Are all wires clean and with a solid connection? Any abraded wires? Check the operation of the ignition switch with a volt ohmmeter. Is the bike in neutral and the neutral light is lit up?

You can download a free PDF factory service manual by going to the website below >
http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp
The manual should tell you in detail how to test the CDI and other electrics.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #13656
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
"On the web you can purchase ignition spark testers that will connect to any plug lead & cause the ignition system to jump a gap of 6 to 8mm.These are cheap & will test the system as a whole for its performance. Great for a quick check of any ignition system. If the spark seems fine then your left with the fuel system. check for blocked fuel tap,water in tank or carby bowl,blocked fuel filler cap vent,blocked carby vent hoses,accellerator pump function."


I have an ignition tester as mentioned above that you can borrow...
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #13657
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/594...-exc-no-spark/


I had this happen on my Husaberg years ago.
It's always the simple shit...
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #13658
hscrugby
"That guy"
 
hscrugby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
"On the web you can purchase ignition spark testers that will connect to any plug lead & cause the ignition system to jump a gap of 6 to 8mm.These are cheap & will test the system as a whole for its performance. Great for a quick check of any ignition system. If the spark seems fine then your left with the fuel system. check for blocked fuel tap,water in tank or carby bowl,blocked fuel filler cap vent,blocked carby vent hoses,accellerator pump function."


I have an ignition tester as mentioned above that you can borrow...
Yea, Need to get something better for spark testing...
In the past, voltmeter has always worked for me. That said,
I've tested the kill switch, (tested that right after the track)
Even just to completely rule it out, unplugged it, and still nothing..
When I test for "volts" (I can't really get it accurate, since it's "sparking" not steady) from the cdi going into the coil, I get volts... When I test coming out of the coil, I get nothing.
I tested the resistance of the old coil and it was right at the edge of the "ktm spec" according to manual. (I'd put numbers, but don't have them in front of me, and don't remember) I read a few things on thumpertalk of people having it near the edge and running like crap and intermittently failing, so I went ahead and replaced the coil. But still no spark.
There is no sidestand safety switch.
No switch to check if in gear, or clutch pulled.. (Yea, I've hit the button in gear, kickstand down, and no clutch.. almost fell over..)

I don't have the gas tank on, or any gas in the bowl, so I'm not even trying to get it running yet. (That's going to be fun, cause I thought it was carb or soemthing so completely hosed the idle and everything else on carb at the track...)
I think I'll run get a better spark tester maybe.. Seems a useful tool, just not sure the "inline" ones will work, cause the ktm has a 4290429304232 foot long spark plug boot...
__________________
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/585928
Feel free to donate money either to my page, or their general fund.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:03 AM   #13659
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
If you ohm out the kill switch, do you get different reading when open and closed? Is one continuous and the other open?

Check the spark plug wire coming from the coil. Make sure it's attached to the coil securely, which I'm sure it is if you just replaced the coil. I've had a loose connection between the wire and the boot where it attaches to the plug before. New wire/boot is pretty cheap and pretty generic. Capital would have one, *I suppose*...
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #13660
hscrugby
"That guy"
 
hscrugby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
If you ohm out the kill switch, do you get different reading when open and closed? Is one continuous and the other open?

Check the spark plug wire coming from the coil. Make sure it's attached to the coil securely, which I'm sure it is if you just replaced the coil. I've had a loose connection between the wire and the boot where it attaches to the plug before. New wire/boot is pretty cheap and pretty generic. Capital would have one, *I suppose*...
Yea, the kill switch is nice, they have a clear easy to find plug to disconnect it... Also, right beside the coil... It's like they expect it to short, and people look at the coil and see that plug...
But yea, testing it out shows open circuit to ground, push the button, closes the circuit and makes a good ground. So working as expected...

the coil has the wire coming from it, and the stupid separate boot kind of "screws" into the end of it.. one of the dumber things I've seen. Makes it not reusable really...
__________________
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/585928
Feel free to donate money either to my page, or their general fund.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #13661
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer
 
lonewolf97's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: moonshine Country
Oddometer: 1,969
Rugby. Stick your finger in the sparkplug boot and hit the starter switch. That otta tell you somthin.
__________________
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found at home.
lonewolf97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #13662
wb57
Beastly Adventurer
 
wb57's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Central NC
Oddometer: 5,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by hscrugby View Post
Yea, the kill switch is nice, they have a clear easy to find plug to disconnect it... Also, right beside the coil... It's like they expect it to short, and people look at the coil and see that plug...
But yea, testing it out shows open circuit to ground, push the button, closes the circuit and makes a good ground. So working as expected...

the coil has the wire coming from it, and the stupid separate boot kind of "screws" into the end of it.. one of the dumber things I've seen. Makes it not reusable really...
It is reusable, but go get a new one.
__________________
'10 Kawasaki Concours (EB)
'11 Kawasaki Versys

'07 KTM 250 XC-F
Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #13663
hscrugby
"That guy"
 
hscrugby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
It is reusable, but go get a new one.
I got a new one with the coil.
:) figured it was another 8$ saving the headache was worth it...
__________________
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/585928
Feel free to donate money either to my page, or their general fund.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #13664
Engelfish
Adventurer
 
Engelfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 40
The Zero

Rugby,
They've got those Zeros at Powersports on Glenwood Ave. One of the sales guys was actually riding around inside the store. They said that they'd probably allow test rides on the weekends. They just had their 1 year anniversary of the store opening, but I couldn't make it over to take one for a spin.
__________________
----------------
Raleigh, NC
'09 BMW F650GS

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." ~ Lao Tzu
Engelfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #13665
hscrugby
"That guy"
 
hscrugby's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 3,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engelfish View Post
Rugby,
They've got those Zeros at Powersports on Glenwood Ave. One of the sales guys was actually riding around inside the store. They said that they'd probably allow test rides on the weekends. They just had their 1 year anniversary of the store opening, but I couldn't make it over to take one for a spin.
Yea, I went for a spin the first Sunday they had them..
I was really impressed, just have some other financial things that seem to be taking a LOT longer than I thought to take care of.

(damn NC court systems)

But yea, if anyone gets a chance, definitely take it for a spin. it will impress you.
__________________
http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/mypage/585928
Feel free to donate money either to my page, or their general fund.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014