User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #46
Jwats
Bike till u Die

Oddometer: 173
Thanks for the pics jay

The hidden Trail to the ocean was fast & fun. around the bay in axle deep sand & basketballs, no stopping, what a kick in the butt. A little more inland riding then Norte toward Santa Martha. Past the 3 virgins, a loop through the hills then South toward the Highway . Husky solid Everyone having fun riding long durations between stops . Rice & Beans was on my mind [vittles]& got my vote so up the road to San Ignacio, a neat town with an incredible mission. Hola to Ricardo fill bellies & fuel, out to the whale camps. The wind only really starts to pickup after you arrive, whenever that may be. I thought it let up before dawn that conversation was a laugh. The showers there are solar & very refreshing, vittles top shelf, ladies beautiful, camping good. Gaspipe told us a while back to try the devils asshole, east at La Ballena. Basketball filled SOB of a ride. We smoked it twice, very fun. This year I watched the Hurricane center punch the area, He is right BAJA is always changing. The ride was a pounding but very fun it took quite a while to get through, the aftermath of the cane was humbling. Ride it, it wreaks BAJA. While waiting for fuel in BOLA we ran into a gringo named Scott, I think, he lives down the beach. He told us about the same trail gaspipe had relayed to bbriggs. Skip Mulege head west back to San Ignacio. Scott thought this was the most beautiful ride in all of BAJA. El Patricinio, the area is mind boggling. Long wash roads, up hills an auto shouldn't use. Killer views and great folks along the way, bring smokes, you will make friends. 200 miles back to San Ignacio, we arrive in town, headed back to Rice & Beans, briggs starts a wheelie for a kid and jay follows. Briggs screwed the power up a little strong & yard sales it. Funnier than hell as he spins with the bike & skids down the asphalt backwards on his ass. No problem, only his pocket just got shredded. The next day slab to Gr. Negro then up the beach to Santa Rosalolito to see the finest cook in all of Mexico. Jay managed some communication for us all after an hour visiting, fuel, more vittles, woops briggs wallet is no more damn shredded pocket, that sucks but the 22 day waits. This ride is such a kick. Fang & the San Borga mission back to BOLA, shit what fun. Backwards on the window rock unimaginable beauty, rocks your soul. Calamue on to Gonzaga,after a couple of blown fuses in the Husky she shits the bed & erupts into flame. I hear jay squeal as he pulls a smoking hand out of the battery storage & fuse compartment area. briggs charges with his camel, I roll of my bike and run in draining my camel, fire out. Oh shit were screwed. It took about an hour to reconnect things, that was friggin exciting. Jay had pulled the main fuse when shit went bad & that stopped the trail of carnage from burning the whole sombitch down. we only had to cool the red shit & it was over. Lucky Bastards. The next day a little more house cleaning & the Husky is good for more. To San Felipe, stopped to watch some of the 250 very cool. We thought one truck was Robby Gordon it was in 2nd at the time. Packing the friggin mail, way cool. Lots of good drivers & riders . We rode on into town & you could see the crazy bastards smokin around out through the desert, by the time we rolled past the finish here comes Robby screaming straight at us onto the asphalt, sideways. I thought we were dead. He never came off the trigger & was through the finish 5 seconds later. Long drive home,still jonesin for baja, Bye.
Jwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #47
BBriggs OP
El Noobo

Oddometer: 161
Okay, It looks like it's my turn.

Day 4

The wind had died down to a low roar, which was nice. We had some breakfast there then road into the fishing village near by and topped off are fuel tanks.

The dry lake bed south to El Datil was the very wet.

I don't think I would go that way Jay.

Be very,very careful.

We continued down to La Ballena, hang a hard Left and headed towards Mulege.

The hurricane's had done a number through here.

About 3\4 the way to Mulege we made another left and road the mountains north back to San Ignacio. This was one of the most beautiful places I have been in baja.

We stop and visited with some locals, they showed us a ton of Indian artifacts that they had found.

After A good 200 mile day we made it back to Rice & Beans for a hot show and cold beer.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #48
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Hey, that road into San Pedro Canyon looks a lot different! At least Jesus and Maria can finally get out.

HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 PM   #49
BBriggs OP
El Noobo

Yep, it was a walk in the park. We were about two weeks behind the dozer.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #50
HWSNBN
Banned

Oddometer: 2,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBriggs
Yep, it was a walk in the park. We were about two weeks behind the dozer.
Baja is ever changing. Damn I miss it!
HWSNBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #51
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,760
Pretty cool there Berg!

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #52
Humunn
Moto Prozac

Oddometer: 1,033
FANTASTIC!

I've been living vicariously through my avatar but your RR is MUCH better!
2009 KTM 450 EXC The Citrus Mistress - 2010 Yamaha FZ1 The Black Pearl
Humunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 PM   #53
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,142
Hey, hurry up.

I want to see someone else's bike on fire
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:40 AM   #54
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
Now this is the shit!!! No slabbing on lumbering land yachts called motorcycles, just great trails, light loads and bikes that light your hair on fire .

This my friends is awesome shit and one of the first baja ride reports that actually get me jonesing for a trip down there. I love that you kept the bikes light and chose routes other than dirt fireroads that define why we got into this sport....for the thrill of "riding" bikes. Combine that with the awesome scenery you guys are enjoying and especially the out of the way friends you meet and its what riding is all about. Fantastic job gents at squeezing the most out of it.
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #55
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 936
Day 7

the plan was to ride a technical trail from BOLA to the Calamuje wash. not really knowing where this section statrs we set out with the limited directions we had and somehow found it. there was some technical climbs and descents and throw in no rear brake made it a challenge. but i made it through and the trail does connect with the window rock trail.

we decided to do the calamuje wash and the this rocky trail into gonzaga. the rains had completely smoothed out the wash and changed the landscape. the whoops were smoothed out and the big mud hole was gone. i did not recognize the place. we made it through except Berg got a flat.

this was good, because the previous year we had 17 flats between 3 of us, although some of them were do to messed up rim locks. it was still progress.

at this point i was thinking how well the husky had performed. i was aprehensive about taking it in the first place beacause of the lack of fuel. after i do have a small leak in the ims, somewhere near the top, but not a major issue.

we started to gonzaga via a rocky mountain pass, i don't know the name of, and stopped for a minute. after the stop i noticed a fuse had popped. so i inserted a spare and rode off (mistake #1).

the trail was pretty technical but a blast none the less. we pulled into gonzaga at the store for supplies before fueling up. we went to leave and the fuse had popped again so I replaced it (mistake #2). as soon as i replaced i saw a red glow from the wires right next to my air filter. my first instinct was to pull the fuse to stop the current, but fire had already started. luckily Berg thought to use his camel for an extinguisher and dowsed the flames. we dove in to start the repair.

always time for jokes amongst friends even in dire situations, me laughing about the situation

we were able to patch it together and get everything working. it is always good to travel compitent people. Berg is talented mechanic and fabricator. Joe understands electricity. my first mistake of the day was thinking how good the husky had been. the second was not diagnosing the issue when the fuse popped first.

i have had some issues there before, but that 90 degree turn in the wires to the fuses hadnever been an issue, just a concern. when i got back home i rewired that section.

here is what i did:

i incased the wires in a piece of tubing and rerouted them away from any possible chafing points. i hope it works.

we got a palapa and set up camp.
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #56
BBriggs OP
El Noobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachs
Pretty cool there Berg!
Thanks, Dave

We had a couple of Giant loops on the ride they worked out great.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #57
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #58
BBriggs OP
El Noobo

Looks like i have some catching up to do, I'll try to knock out a couple days here.

Day 5

It was time to make miles, we needed to make it north to a little trail that would run us into BoLA. This meant slabing to Guerrero Negro, We made a quick stop in EL Vizciano at the auto parts for some epoxy for Jays fuel tank, that had start to leak. stopped in Guerrero Negro for lunch and gasolina. Then continued north, If you jump off HWY 1 right out side of town there is some great sandy two tracks. I have ridden through here many times, it's always good. But today was special, It had been raining and the sand was like perfect loam, you could fly, every corner is banked, traction was incredible.

After some perfect sand we headed up the coast to Santa Rosaliita, for a quick stop a Family's house we know. last year we rolled into town at dusk looking for food and they took us into there home and cook us dinner, it was the best meal of the trip. We wanted to stop and say Hi. Joe had a few pictures of his family ridding horses that he wanted to give them. The inside of the house walls are covered with pictures of horses and big game, it's something to see.

I know, they don't look all that happy, but we had great visit, There was no way Joe was going to leave with the pictures he brought, she never stop looking at them.

We picked up some more fuel and snacks and hooked up to a very sweetie piece of single track. It was about 5pm when we hit the single track, so we decided to ride in about 2-3 miles until we could find a nice camp spot.

BBriggs screwed with this post 04-14-2010 at 10:28 PM
BBriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #59
BBriggs OP
El Noobo

One more photo of day 5

Joe practicing safe camping

Old 04-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #60
BBriggs OP
El Noobo

Day 6

We got up early and head out, this would be a great day of single track.

We made to HWY 1 just in time for lunch, we ran down the road to Punta Prieta to a cafe and were greeted by this friendly fella.

After lunch we picked up the last of the single track for the day.

A little cactus removal

Then on to San Borja mission for a visit.

Then on to the final stop of the day, BoLA for food and a room.