ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #2356
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,069
Hey guys... four started the ride.........

Swanee 003 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

We rolled into Swanee and got stopped right away.... The nice office informed us that we couldn't ride in that area... We were actually had turned around and was on our way out when we saw the sign.

So we dropped into the old rail road bed.... and man.... what a ride it turned out to be... about 200yards of creek bed with flowing water and baby head size rocks...

Stopped for a few photo ops...

Swanee 011 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

then found the bridge and tunnel...

Swanee 013 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

After the train came by we met up with some dudes on a fourwheelers and got some directions...

Then headed into Cowan for some gas and another photo op...

Swanee 018 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

We headed back up past the train bridge and tunnel and went up over the hill and found the vent holes for the train tunnel..

Swanee 020 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

As we went further into the briar patch it just got much rougher.......

Swanee 021 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

That creek crossing was SLICK AS GREESED OWL SHIT!!!!!

Now I didn't get too many pics I think that IHF and SS got more.....

Well we were on our way back down the back side of the mountain and IHF was in the lead followed by SS... then me and lastly jventures on his KTM

When I got to the bottom of the hill IHF was waiting....He gave me a thumbs up.. so we rode on...... We got back to the Stukeys and no SS.... I missed him but thought maybe he went back out the way we came in....

NO GO.... IHF had a missed call... SS was still on the mountain.... WHAT? Where?

Well we get our bikes loaded and head back up...... seems he came in too hot to one of the curves and ended up low siding into the woods...

I FREAKIN MISSED HIM... rode right past him...

He is ok... but he thought he broke his ankle....

I didn't get a pic of the bike down the hill or him laying on the side of the road... but here is the skid marks...

Swanee 025 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

Swanee 026 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

Swanee 027 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

Swanee 028 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

Swanee 029 by sky_soldier_82nd, on Flickr

I haven't heard anything yet but he is going to be ok.. but may be a little while before he is able to get back on the bike.......

Heal fast brother....

I also have lots of video and will be working on it over the next week..

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #2357
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,174
OMG dudes.....there are only three words that can describe today's ride :

A D V

From beginning to end it was one hell of a day.

I can't stay on here long.......being gone from for 12 hours and all. Got to do some wifey time but, I will say one thing.....that my riding buddies today....well, it don't get much better than that.

SS was balls to the wall.
WP taught the Frankenklr a few lessons most KLR's done get a chance to learn.
And JEV.......he rode the 950 "like a boss".

It'll take me an housr to type up the RR so I'll do it tomorrow....but I will leave DeBandi with a little sumpin sumpin:

I can't wait to post my stuff.......and I can't wait to hear everyone else's version of the day. And while we all rode like studs....Everyone had it handed to them at least once......as the pics, vids and stories will reveal

See ya'll tomorrow
Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #2358
_RZ_
Peace, Love & a .45

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
... SS was still on the mountain.... WHAT? Where?

He is ok... but he thought he broke his ankle....
Damn SS - dontcha know you passed that 'crash the newbie' baton on some time ago!?

I hope you're as alright as we're led to believe ... I mean there's "alright to keep goin'" and there's truly "alright" - hope you're the latter!

(I know it was a full 6 weeks before I lost the last of my scabs from keeping up with IHF the last time. What's that damn atgatt rule, again!?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
OMG dudes.....
A D V

I can't wait to post my stuff.......and I can't wait to hear everyone else's version of the day. And while we all rode like studs....Everyone had it handed to them at least once......as the pics, vids and stories will reveal

See ya'll tomorrow
_RZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:35 PM   #2359
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,853
Holy shit! Sounds like a cool day but dayum, SS.!.!
Hoping to hear what hoppen. But more importantly, heal up man. Let me know if there's anything I can do to assist.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #2360
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Sounds like a great day. Sorry I missed it but did get some quality riding time in with my 8-yr. old son. He's just stepped-up from from a semi-auto 70 to a 'real clutch' 80 and it was great to see him master it.

IHF- The land was PERFECT for him. Can't thank you enough.

And SS- hope you aren't in too bad of shape and heal quickly.
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #2361
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Tease

Here is a little teaser vid for ya..... I got much more....

Old 02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #2362
GIL
Landlocked Waterman

Oddometer: 61
First off guys... thanks for the support, and David we can share a cold beverage and reminisce about great dogs!

I was up near you Wynn, at a wrestling tournament until 2230. Got back to Franklin around midnight and saw the ride. I considered throwing the bike back together and showing up, but decided that might not be prudent. Maybe the wrong choice as it seems an extra pair of eyes might of helped.
Heal quick SScratch! Are you sure you're not named, for the marks you leave in the asphalt?

Watching the video through through water and residual snow had me thinking about how cold my feet would have gotten....I do want to go when it's warmer, as I'm sure do many others.

Jason, I wondered why the big hole out front....you would think they would know by now, to come the other direction.

I'm going to try and get my doo done, wiring the GPS and heater grips, check the loom etc. completed so I never hold the crew up. Looking forward to riding together soon.
It won't be too long till the flowers bloom, but the trees haven't yet filled out enough to obscure the sight lines....Good times ahead!

And Bryan... Really?...you are an ADVrider. Not so much for two wheels on snow (although ballsy), as getting out with the unschooled masses believing more right foot will solve the traction issue.

Enjoy the weather all ya'll,
Gil
GIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 AM   #2363
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724
SS ... Really Sorry To Hear That and Very Glad You Are OverAll OK ... !

Is it a bruise - sprain - or did you actually break something ...?

Your wife and daughter might fuss at Ya so ... Be Nice ... !

ADVENTURE ...
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #2364
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
..... I got much more....
Looks like your upgrades to the suspension are doing the job ... Now you might need to upgrade you with a kidney belt ... Rough Road!

It looks like they just cut rock up there for the fun of it. That waterfall - creek was cut out of the ground wasn't it!
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #2365
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,097
Awesome guys.

SS, you O.K.?

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #2366
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,552
We had an awesome day yesterday. The weather was absolutely beautiful and that area has some good technical sections. Plenty of rocks and creeks to go around, and we never even got into the 7000 acre atv area. The locals were pretty good about letting you know where you could ride and whose paths you wouldn't want to cross.

I've got a lot of pics but I won't have time to post them up just yet. Got to get some work done and it's taking twice as long having to stump around on one leg.

At the end of the day we were heading back down the plateau toward the trucks on a nice twisty paved back road. I was throttling into a curve when I caught up with Jason and had to get on the brakes. The back stepped out so I eased off the brakes and stood it up but was then headed straight over an embankment. I leaned it back over hard and low-sided. I picked up my leg as I went down so as not to have it pinned under the sliding bike but I let my foot down on the pavement with too much body weight on it. My lower leg got torqued sideways and I knew it was broke before I hit the ditch. Funny thing was, after everything came to a screaching halt my leg didn't feel too bad. I could wiggle my toes and bend my ankle so I stood up. I tried to pick the bike up but it was at a bad angle and just couldn't manage it. Then I turned and felt my bones move. Weird. I let it go at that point. A couple people stopped to help but there was nothing they could do so I told them to go ahead - I knew my buddies would come back for me and they did.

Turns out my right leg is broken in four places between my knee and ankle. I will see an orthopedic in a few hours and he will let me know if surgery is needed. Probably will, the bones don't line up right.

So other than pulling a big bonehead move at the end of the day, I had a great time! I should be good to go in a few weeks.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:51 AM   #2367
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 3,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SScratch View Post

Turns out my right leg is broken in four places between my knee and ankle. I will see an orthopedic in a few hours and he will let me know if surgery is needed. Probably will, the bones don't line up right.
In typical Sscratch fashion...keepin' Touratech in business. You just gonna break 'em all to see how it feels?

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #2368
_RZ_
Peace, Love & a .45

Oddometer: 108
Quote:
... broken in four places between my knee and ankle...
Ouch man ... friggin' OUCH!
_RZ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM   #2369
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,174
Just wanted to give a shot out to SS.
Man I am so sorry to hear that.
It's not a good feeling when you stop the bike and start wondering "where is my ridng buddy?"
Part of me wanted to go back on the bike to look for him but I knew that if he needed help it would involve the truck. So I went to go get the truck. That's when I got the really broken up voicemail. All I could discern were the words "side of road.....and truck".
Sorry it took so long homie. Probably left him sitting there for 45 minutes??
Old 02-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #2370
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
We had an awesome day yesterday. The weather was absolutely beautiful and that area has some good technical sections. Plenty of rocks and creeks to go around, and we never even got into the 7000 acre atv area. The locals were pretty good about letting you know where you could ride and whose paths you wouldn't want to cross.

I've got a lot of pics but I won't have time to post them up just yet. Got to get some work done and it's taking twice as long having to stump around on one leg.

At the end of the day we were heading back down the plateau toward the trucks on a nice twisty paved back road. I was throttling into a curve when I caught up with Jason and had to get on the brakes. The back stepped out so I eased off the brakes and stood it up but was then headed straight over an embankment. I leaned it back over hard and low-sided. I picked up my leg as I went down so as not to have it pinned under the sliding bike but I let my foot down on the pavement with too much body weight on it. My lower leg got torqued sideways and I knew it was broke before I hit the ditch. Funny thing was, after everything came to a screaching halt my leg didn't feel too bad. I could wiggle my toes and bend my ankle so I stood up. I tried to pick the bike up but it was at a bad angle and just couldn't manage it. Then I turned and felt my bones move. Weird. I let it go at that point. A couple people stopped to help but there was nothing they could do so I told them to go ahead - I knew my buddies would come back for me and they did.

So other than pulling a big bonehead move at the end of the day, I had a great time! I should be good to go in a few weeks.

Glad you are going to be ok.... that sucks... make sure they give you a .jpg of the x-ray so you can share....

Heal fast brother....

I debated about posting the info but I knew that our ADV family would want to konw....