ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #3676
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,918
I saw someone waving... Was that YOU?
If it were me you saw, I fought the crazy Franklin traffic this afternoon.
I was ONE flat short on flowers. So I squirted up the H-D to get more and some taco bell and arby's.
I felt like a bike courier today, dodging and weaving around stuff.
Yard is looking stellar... Time for a little back yard GTG w/ my ADV buds.
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #3677
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
Seriously considering...

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...326564797.html

But would I die trying to ride it home? Seems like a waste to go all that way and not enjoy a good ride home on a new toy! I know it's not going to be GS comfortable but having only ridden one 2 years ago at a KTM demo even for 15 mins or so not sure this is as good an idea as I hope.
Great bike! But I wouldn't want to ride it across country unless you are able to avoid highways the entire way.

Have you considered the 990 Adventure R? It can do everything the SM can do, plus you can take it off road. Pretty sure it is going to be my next bike (sold my 1200GSA last week).
wdavis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #3678
BajaDoug
Swabbie

Oddometer: 459
Saturday Ride

That is out by Oliver springs, winrock. They had a spring jamboree, I only made Sat. due to the rain.
BajaDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #3679
crpntr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
So Roadking and I got together and rode a bit this afternoon. Had a great time. Check out the first couple minutes of our day...

Old 04-17-2011, 07:05 PM   #3680
Roadking-1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Great short ride

Crpntr;
Thanks for sharing your roads that's how it works I'll show you my roads you show me yours. That's everything I hoped for when I switched to dual sports.

Roadking-1 screwed with this post 04-17-2011 at 08:42 PM
Roadking-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #3681
crpntr
Studly Adventurer

Trails

These are the trails. DRZ country for sure! Don't let all that Harley crap fool you. If you ride with roadking let the air outta the tires and get your ass up on the pegs cause he means business.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #3682
Roadking-1
Gnarly Adventurer

Wow

That camara is the bomb! Is it hd?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #3683
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,333
Where in the world were you two guys riding? That looked pretty rough
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #3684
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,778
I think there is a Jimtown Rd. in Macon county.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #3685
crpntr
Studly Adventurer

Jimtown rd

It is actually Cannon County in Bradyville. John Rains owns the land at the top of the hill, but there are tons of trails within feet of the gravel public road headed down the hill. This was the first time in 3 yrs of going there that we didn't see any fourwheelers. Deep ruts, big rocks and plenty of places to pick your bike up . Yeah, it was pretty damn fun! Next time I'm riding the Husky . Oh yeah, plenty of parking at the tiop to unload dirtbikes. Don't tell em I sent you. These guys ain't always friendly.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #3686
Roadking-1
Gnarly Adventurer

Not friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by crpntr View Post
It is actually Cannon County in Bradyville. John Rains owns the land at the top of the hill, but there are tons of trails within feet of the gravel public road headed down the hill. This was the first time in 3 yrs of going there that we didn't see any fourwheelers. Deep ruts, big rocks and plenty of places to pick your bike up . Yeah, it was pretty damn fun! Next time I'm riding the Husky . Oh yeah, plenty of parking at the tiop to unload dirtbikes. Don't tell em I sent you. These guys ain't always friendly.
Fast moving targets are hard to hit!!! "just saying"
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #3687
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Rough for sure but looks like a lot of fun provided you're not on anything too larger. Would love to run that myself.

Managed a little pavement time on the GS this evening. Was an absolutely splendid way to end the day but am itching to get back on the dirt with you guys soon.
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #3688
TDM Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Canadian View Post
am seriously thinking a BMW G450X. I have way too many BMW shirts to not have one now! Anyhow just wondering about some opinions on the 450X. Nice and light at 267 lbs and max speed in the 90's so should be up for the pace I want. Just there seem to be alot of them sitting around at dealers... Is there something I am missing?
I've been thinking about adding one of these to the stable as well. Would make a nice compliment to my XChallenge. I'm wanting something for single-track riding at Westpoint. I thought the G450X would be much better than my old KLX300 and the price of the left-overs is hard to beat.

The thing that has me waiting is reading about the need to replace the crankshaft as part of routine service at something like 70-hours. Maybe this is normal for a race bike but makes me wonder how expensive this would be to maintain and I'm already used to BMW service!

Still quite a deal compared to the orange bikes.

Cheers,
TDM Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #3689
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDM Rider View Post
I've been thinking about adding one of these to the stable as well. Would make a nice compliment to my XChallenge. I'm wanting something for single-track riding at Westpoint. I thought the G450X would be much better than my old KLX300 and the price of the left-overs is hard to beat.

The thing that has me waiting is reading about the need to replace the crankshaft as part of routine service at something like 70-hours. Maybe this is normal for a race bike but makes me wonder how expensive this would be to maintain and I'm already used to BMW service!

Still quite a deal compared to the orange bikes.

Cheers,
Carl,

You'll rarely get out of first gear at Westpoint on a 450. And the added weight will wear you down quickly. Even with the CRF250X, I lowered the stock gearing (down 1 tooth in the front) so that I can run in 3rd most of the time. If I didn't have a Rekluse I would probably have to downshift a lot more than I do. One of the guys I ride with has a YZ426 and feels it is total overkill (and less fun) for Westpoint. I think a KTM XC-W 250 or 300 (or similar bike) would be the perfect bike for Westpoint single track. They make my CRF feel like a 1200GSA. I might have to sneak into Chris' garage one night...
wdavis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #3690
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavis009 View Post
Carl,

You'll rarely get out of first gear at Westpoint on a 450. And the added weight will wear you down quickly. Even with the CRF250X, I lowered the stock gearing (down 1 tooth in the front) so that I can run in 3rd most of the time. If I didn't have a Rekluse I would probably have to downshift a lot more than I do. One of the guys I ride with has a YZ426 and feels it is total overkill (and less fun) for Westpoint. I think a KTM XC-W 250 or 300 (or similar bike) would be the perfect bike for Westpoint single track. They make my CRF feel like a 1200GSA. I might have to sneak into Chris' garage one night...
True all that ^ . . . . .and if I may.......If you're not used to riding a lot of rough, rooty, rocky dirt single track (Westpoint, Livingston, CMRA) might want to think about the lightest bike you can get your hands on. You WILL be picking your bike up.....a lot . Most "weekend warrior" riders can do 25 miles of true Westpoint. Experienced riders.....can do 60-70, but prefer to keep it under 50.

I may be a wimp and all but.....my woods bike is a KDX 220 and it can do everything and more that the offroad world can throw at it. It's not too swift on the tarmac, but offroad .

BTW....the new KTM 2 stroke 250s are HOT....they have A LOT of power for a 250.