ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #766
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,851
Wanna,
I do have rim protectors and 10" spoons. these new tires are stiff (tubeless)...I suspect stiffer than my current ones which are tube-types.
I had a real hard time finding tube-type TKC's. But I got a SMOKIN' deal on this set of tires.
I need to run out and grab a tube today. I'll probably mess with them sometime tomorrow, or maybe even tonight.
As for my rims. Yeah, I'll try and protect them s best I can. But that soft ground with all of that small river rock, left me rear black wheel somewhat speckled.

As it sits right now, no riding tomorrow. Unless the stars align. I got a bunch of stuff to do around here. Truck need it's 90K service (simple oil change, lube and diffs fluid change). Man, I can't believe my '07 had 90K already.

Anyway, I'll post up later tonight if I can get out tomorrow. If i get my tires on tonight, then I might.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:51 AM   #767
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,170
Hey R2L....I'm sure you've done your research, but here's a video that might...might help. Once you watch it, there is a part 2 and 3 you'll see off to the side. This dude makes it look easy.......I don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qw0B2gIwbBg

Bout the only advice I could give is use lots of lube, make sure the opposite side is as deep in the dish as you can get it when you start working the spoons. Those "bead buddy" tools kindof help. If you need to borrow a longer spoon or bead buddy let me know.
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #768
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Good vids. Thanks. I liked using Windex. Good tip on the lube.
It's all about good tools. I'm good with everything but the wheel stand (and bead-buddy, but that's a luxury). Mine will consist of 4x4 lumber.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #769
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride2little
Wanna,
I do have rim protectors and 10" spoons. these new tires are stiff (tubeless)...I suspect stiffer than my current ones which are tube-types.
I had a real hard time finding tube-type TKC's. But I got a SMOKIN' deal on this set of tires.
I need to run out and grab a tube today. I'll probably mess with them sometime tomorrow, or maybe even tonight.
As for my rims. Yeah, I'll try and protect them s best I can. But that soft ground with all of that small river rock, left me rear black wheel somewhat speckled.

As it sits right now, no riding tomorrow. Unless the stars align. I got a bunch of stuff to do around here. Truck need it's 90K service (simple oil change, lube and diffs fluid change). Man, I can't believe my '07 had 90K already.

Anyway, I'll post up later tonight if I can get out tomorrow. If i get my tires on tonight, then I might.
I cant get out this evening. If you hit a wall let me know and I can give you a hand in the morning.
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #770
richarddacat
daylight rider

Oddometer: 2,965
nice video, I must be doing something wrong because my tires have never came off that easy. Guess that's another advantage to being a pro-racer.

things I do,
I've used GoJo hand cleaner for a lubricant with good results with clean hands afterward and have a 12" trailer tire as my bench.
In hot weather like this week, set the tire out in the sun a few hours also helps in mounting.
I also leave the valve stem out on the first airing to set the bead, as the air escapes bounce the wheel and tire on the ground while turning.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it head out the window.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #771
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

MOre Tire Talk

Front went on nice and easy. Not nearly as easy as that video, but pretty close. Too bad I did that one second.

I did the rear first.
What a PITA.
It really was pretty easy. but I had two major stumbling blocks.
1 - Breaking the bead. I finally did the old, long 2x4 as a lever to a short piece of 2x4 onto the sidewall. Breaking the bead on the front was no problem at all, just by stepping on it.
2 - Getting the tube stem through the hole in the rim. The rim strip was TIGHT, so I drilled the rubber out a bit. Sounds simple enough, but it took me a lot of fighting, leaving, fighting, leaving, etc. before I came up with this. Once I did it almost fell into place (just like that damn video).

The wheels on the F8GS ate pretty wide, especially that rear. The discs out front and sprocket/disk in the rear made it impossible to work without some sort of stand. I used 4 2x8's (deck scrap) stacked. Without them, I'm not sure what I'd have done.

So there. I did it. Not sure I will again. I guess it depends. I'd really love to have tubeless tires for this bike. A true dirtbike wheel/tire would be more workable. But these tubeless tires with tubes were a bit of work. Just the bead and the stem. Otherwise it was a cakewalk.

As for that smirkey guy on the video..."if you're having difficulty, you just need to tweak your technique." F U ! If I changed my rear tire after every race, I bet it would be A LOT easier.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
Old 08-07-2010, 03:23 PM   #772
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 3,963
On the tires, I only have limited advice, but there are 2 things that have made life a whole lot easier.

One is ru-glyde. It's by far the best lubricant I know of...it's a must. Yeah, you can spit, spooge, windex, WD, soap and all that, but this stuff is made to change tires. It's probably what your tire shop uses...that or something very similar. And if you get it on all the mating surfaces, it makes the job a whole lot easier.

2nd thing is when you're working on that last bit that's really tough, stop and make sure the opposite side of the tire is down into the deep part of the rim. Maybe put your knees in one side to squeeze it down and spoon the other side. It makes all the difference in the world. Somebody once told me that if they couldn't get the tire on by using short irons, they were doing it wrong. I now subscribe to that school of thought. I've discovered it's all in the technique.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #773
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob feature
I I've discovered it's all in the technique.
Glad You got them on man!

Technique is so true!

My first set change took me all morning. Now after actually having done it a few times it's easy!

I'd say keep it up!
Old 08-07-2010, 05:08 PM   #774
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna?
Glad You got them on man!
Well, that wasn't me having issues, but the FedEx man did bring be a big, black, round package today

Old 08-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #775
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Sorry to hijack and make this a tread-thread.

I actually LOVE the way these tires feel. But I guess you can say that about any new set. They turn in a lot quicker than my Bridgestone Battle Wings. But they were pretty worn.
I was worried about the road manners of these D-S tires, with a bit more bite. But they seem to grip pretty good. I spent a little time late this afternoon scrubbing them in. Handle dirt roads VERY well.

I got an unbelievable deal on them. Essentially got the front for free.

New pic with 'em on.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
Old 08-07-2010, 07:42 PM   #776
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Man, those sure are pretty bikes.

I got to spend some time on one a few months ago...has a great feel to it too...alot like my Dakar actually, but with better suspension. Same tires. And the sound.... It has a nice little note about it.

I think I'd like to have one actually. Just gonna wait on a better used market

Old 08-08-2010, 04:21 AM   #777
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Quote:
Sorry to hijack and make this a tread-thread.

Sorry to hijack and make this a tread-thread...............Ha! Very Funny

It dosent look like the same bike any more.

The new look has attitude!!!

[IMG]100_0318[/IMG] Bet this picture would have a rooster tail behind the bike if the TKC's were on here.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #778
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,170
Yea...that dude looks bad with those new shoes on it Congrats!

And the duse in the video...."if it doesn't go on easy...." I don't know how many times I've cussed that guy. I wonder ow many millions of times he's been cussd out by guys who were changing thier tires

RIDE REPORT

WP and I hooked up south of Dickson and rolled a lot of Hickman COunty yesterday.

ON the way out there I have to go down Leipers Creeek road. I usually cross the two closed bridges with no problem. However, now it looks like an alternat plan is in the works:

I just went under the bridge and up the other side. Kind-of tricky though. I wonder if they are about to begin construction on them.

Looks like a bird congratulated him on his new lid :

SAD NEWS - TARKINGTONS IS OFFICIALLY CLOSED. We stopped by and the owners were loading up the last of thier stuff. Said thier bodies were getting too old be standing and lifting all day. Wish you guys well.....enjoyed myself while I was there.

Shhhhhhh..... we decided to ride about a 2 mile section of tracks. Going over the trussle was cool!

Stopped at the 4-way for lunch. Turns out there was a poker run going on.

This one dude that was riding in the run was DRUNK. I hope he made it home ok and didn't hurt anyone else......dumbass.

Chain was a little loose on the assault KLR....time for a quick fix:

As the day went on I kept noticing that my clucth wasn't letting go all the way. After an inspection I noticed this:

I tried to ride the rest of the way using the clutch as little as possible. Time for a new cable I guess.

We explored an old road that kind-of faded into nowhere. It used to run along a creek but the creek had destroyed the road. We tried to push through to the other side but we ran into the creek/ditch from hell.

Me trying to cross where I shouldn't. Damn short legs...

Picture kind-of shows it...I was standing in about a two foot drop off. GLAD the bike didn't drop down into that hole. We would have been in TROUBLE.

WP said I think I can just ride it down the creek. It was about 50 yards or ROUGH stuff till we found a place where he could climb out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BiBIa6LfvA

Since I was trying to not use my clutch I couldn't reall go down the creek like WP. I ended up having to ride down one bank of the creek and gagging it back up the other side....so I could ride the other side of the creek till we got to the get out spot. I think WP had a video of that.

Later in the day we came across a tree that had fallen across the road.....imagine that huh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFSdxbaWtOc

Someone help me. Why is when I get the embed code from youtube and paste it here, half the time it doesn't work?

http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/gFSdxbaWtOc&ampampampamphl=en_US&ampampampampfs=1?rel=0[/url]" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">

It was a good ride. I had 215 on the odometer when I got back home. I'm sure WP was pushing 275 by the time he got home.

ihatefalling screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 09:26 AM
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #779
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,069

&nbsp
&nbsp

My Prespective.....

wparkinson screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 08:40 AM
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #780
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,069
IHF and I had a good ride yesterday. Pretty quick and flowing.... not too many stops and just kept it moving along......

I chased that damn DRZ all over Hickman CO. What a good day..... Maybe next I will have my new tire on and won't be lagging so far behind. I didn't have any traction most of the day. Every time I turned the throttle the back tire would spin... oh and the curves.....

Next weekend should be alot of fun too...

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote