ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #9076
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,754
The boneyard is a fun ride, but it's a handful when the ground is wet.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #9077
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 277
Barry and I got out for a couple hours this morning after having breakfast in Erin. Not much rain until I headed north to go home, then it poured. It was a good day to have heated gear. I just wish my jacket did not leak so bad but better warm & wet than frozen and wet.

I sure hope Barry's GoPro got the footage of the deer that tried to race me down the hill in Houston County!

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #9078
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
Barry and I got out for a couple hours this morning after having breakfast in Erin. Not much rain until I headed north to go home, then it poured. It was a good day to have heated gear. I just wish my jacket did not leak so bad but better warm & wet than frozen and wet.

I sure hope Barry's GoPro got the footage of the deer that tried to race me down the hill in Houston County!

Sorry I missed it but I bet there will be another time ! ! Be in Texas next week end, hope to get out on the 9th, keep in mind I am self-employed and sometimes have time to ride during the week.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #9079
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

70 degrees and possible SUN

Hey anyone wanta get the big bikes out tomorrow ( Tues ) and ride somewhere, anywhere. I have a new rear tire ordered , might want to stay on the pavement until the weekend . Should have new tire on by Sat.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #9080
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Has anyone else checked out Sjaak's Polar Ice Ride thread located here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854295

His plan is to ride from Barrow, AK to Key West, FL starting in a few days. Expecting -50 degree temps up on the frozen seas!

AND....He's doing it on an R1

Old 01-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #9081
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
Has anyone else checked out Sjaak's Polar Ice Ride thread located here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854295

His plan is to ride from Barrow, AK to Key West, FL starting in a few days. Expecting -50 degree temps up on the frozen seas!

AND....He's doing it on an R1

That looks like something i would build . But no way would i ride, walk, crawl in -50 degree weather. Pretty cool though.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #9082
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
treemuncher: " I sure hope Barry's GoPro got the footage of the deer that tried to race me down the hill in Houston County!"

I thought it was large dog charging for a split second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEB1EBXR_mY

A nice day of "very important" motorcycle riding was done. I guess someone had to do it, so me & treemuncher stepped up & claimed the responsibility. I plan to put more of the 1/27/13 run on youtube later but, I've got an IMS 6.6 gal. tank, a Dunlop D606 F. & a Heidenau K 60 Scout R. to install on Godzilla before the weekend....... You know, in case the dirt pigs want to assemble & ride or something.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #9083
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
treemuncher: " I sure hope Barry's GoPro got the footage of the deer that tried to race me down the hill in Houston County!"

I thought it was large dog charging for a split second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEB1EBXR_mY

A nice day of "very important" motorcycle riding was done. I guess someone had to do it, so me & treemuncher stepped up & claimed the responsibility. I plan to put more of the 1/27/13 run on youtube later but, I've got an IMS 6.6 gal. tank, a Dunlop D606 F. & a Heidenau K 60 Scout R. to install on Godzilla before the weekend....... You know, in case the dirt pigs want to assemble & ride or something.
Good combination, bet you love it, please post follow up on just how the new tires work for you ! ! I have Dunlop D 606 on front and rear on the DRZ only have about 400-500 miles on them so far , grip is unbelievable on dirt and on pavement.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #9084
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,256
anyone seen TN-Steve ? ?

Oh, never mind he's over by the fence

Old 01-29-2013, 06:53 PM   #9085
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,445
It's TIME!

For two years I have put off doing this, so here it goes.....

MidTn@LBL.RIDE - (NOT a hyperlink, just a cool name)

May 3-5 (date changed!! people be huntin' turkey in April!)

This is a work in progress, but it has to start somewhere. The date falls after FerrySTOC. Weather could be a bitch, but at least it won't be hot.

The plan - Ride LBL, moto-camp, engage in general jack-assary

...and so far, that's the whole plan!

Some ideas-

BYOE - Bring Your Own EVERYTHING - I may bring a trailer full crap if it seems necessary, otherwise, I plan on riding in with everything I'll need for the weekend.

Camping - To Be Determined - (Rough it in the Backcountry, or Energy Lake w/ showers, or if it gets big, investigate Rushing Creek or Colson Hollow as a group)

Riding - Between myself, SandalScout, and Treemuncher, we should be able to lay out good routes for all bikes and riders. Hardcore off-road can be found at Turkey Bay, and there is enough pavement there and close by to keep the Road Boys happy. For everyone else, there is 120,000 acres of hills and hollers to explore with all DS and ADV bikes. It is a great place to learn DS and ADV riding since there is plenty of roads a car can safely travel. Then there are more challenging roads for the big ADV bikes. I have ridden there for a long time, and have not hit all the little roads LBL has to offer.

The hiking trails are strictly off limits, but Turkey Bay has enough challenges for anyone.

I've got some cool ideas for a scavenger hunt or poker run type event, but we'll see.

I feel like this has the potential to turn into something big, but also know it could be a lot of work. My intention is to invite anyone that wants to go, but with the understanding everyone is basically on there own. Traveling as a 20-30 person group would be a nightmare, but so could breaking down or getting lost if you are by yourself.

We've got time to work out details.

The floor is open for discussion.....

If it is deemed necessary, I'll start a new thread to get details together.

Let's Ride!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield

TroyJ650 screwed with this post 02-04-2013 at 04:49 PM Reason: date change
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:56 PM   #9086
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Sorry to see that date. I'm out. I will be headed to the Moonshine Lunch Run that weekend.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:35 PM   #9087
BajaDoug
Swabbie

Oddometer: 441
Im more into hooliganism buy I'll try jasackery
BajaDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #9088
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,989
Darn Randy, sorry you'll miss it.

Troy and I were discussing this today, and I'm 100% game for anything that you all want to make happen.

I am willing to lead a big bike/beginner, etc sort of ride on easier gravel and dirt for at least one of the three days, and likely 2 of them. If there is enough interest, I'll be glad to build out a route that is increasingly difficult as the weekend progresses. I'm thinking a good mix for big and little bikes, newer beginners, etc.

I'll also get some routes lined up for handing out before hand (gpx files), and help put together a good ride for any street riders. Between the new pavement we rode recently and the "Baby Dragon", I think we will be able to put together a very fun, twisty street ride.

Who's in?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #9089
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Darn Randy, sorry you'll miss it.

Troy and I were discussing this today, and I'm 100% game for anything that you all want to make happen.

I am willing to lead a big bike/beginner, etc sort of ride on easier gravel and dirt for at least one of the three days, and likely 2 of them. If there is enough interest, I'll be glad to build out a route that is increasingly difficult as the weekend progresses. I'm thinking a good mix for big and little bikes, newer beginners, etc.

I'll also get some routes lined up for handing out before hand (gpx files), and help put together a good ride for any street riders. Between the new pavement we rode recently and the "Baby Dragon", I think we will be able to put together a very fun, twisty street ride.

Who's in?
Well. . . . . sounds like you guys are workin up something GOOOOOOOOOOOD for everyone, been wantin to get into Turkey Bay for some time now ! and ridin the pavement on the bigger bikes would be a blast for sure
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #9090
SScratch
Somewhat Tolerable

Oddometer: 1,567
I would be game for that. Rob Feature and I used to host a small rally at LBL around Halloween each year. We switched up backcountry camping and campgrounds on different years. Bigger groups are better served with a campground but I always do the backcountry thing when solo or in small groups. The first time I met Treemuncher I was up there on the DRZ on a solo trip. I'm good either way. I'm cheap, but I'm easy.