ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #9421
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Sounds stupid and egotistical to me. I'd be willing to bet any of them a 6 pack that they can't. I've seen some really good riders on GSA's, but the weight is limiting no matter how good you are. The undisputed king of big bike off-road is the KTM 950/990, but a good rider will be able to take a 530 to places even the 950/990 will never go.
Yep, that was my line of thinking. Essentially, when I asked WHY?!?!! would someone want to ride some of this super technical stuff that they were riding, I never got a good answer other than "Obviously, you aren't a good rider." No argument from me there!
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #9422
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,547
I enjoy the hell out of riding my VStrom off road on crap most others think I 'm whacked for bringing a bike like that out "wherever" some people don't feel appropriate. Sure it's a handful and in no way could I ever think of riding it as fast or on as technical of terrain as my EXC.

Here in the NJ Pine Barren it's nice to be able to run a 1000cc bike on dirt roads, jeep trails and yes whooped out singletrack. Never would I try and hang with the small bikes but you put a GSA out in those woods and I'll take my VStrom right in with them.

You would never enter the C Class in an Enduro with that bike an HP or even a 950Super Enduro. That doesn't take away from the fact that it might be a blast to try and make a cool loop on the Enduro course just to see how far you can push man and machine.
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #9423
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,196
Yep....its all riding......I had a V-Strom 650 converted for offroad in Colorado....it was a hoot. Used to ride my 525 with a guy on his 1150GS. I was amazed where he could take that damn thing......dont get me wrong, he had issues at times and was completely exhausted at the end of the day.......but he still rode.
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #9424
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxinpa View Post
I enjoy the hell out of riding my VStrom off road on crap most others think I 'm whacked for bringing a bike like that out "wherever" some people don't feel appropriate. Sure it's a handful and in no way could I ever think of riding it as fast or on as technical of terrain as my EXC.

Here in the NJ Pine Barren it's nice to be able to run a 1000cc bike on dirt roads, jeep trails and yes whooped out singletrack. Never would I try and hang with the small bikes but you put a GSA out in those woods and I'll take my VStrom right in with them.

You would never enter the C Class in an Enduro with that bike an HP or even a 950Super Enduro. That doesn't take away from the fact that it might be a blast to try and make a cool loop on the Enduro course just to see how far you can push man and machine.
Yes like riding a 650 Ninja in the LBL 200.
Smart move? But was fun and plan on doing it again. (Only if its dry )
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #9425
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
There's a good DVD some guys from Colorado put together as well - Dual Sport Riding Techniques. Not sure what bike you have, but I thought it was a bigger bore DS....650??
This DVD was put together for riders of the bigger, heavier bikes and offers some really great tips. If I can track it down, you're welcome to borrow it. I used it when I was riding my 950 SER and 990 ADV in Colorado.....or, when those bikes were riding me
Thanks everyone for all the responses to my question. I'll search "the google" & see if I can find a copy of this DVD you speak of. It would be cool if you found it but, I'd probably still buy my own copy if I enjoyed it.

I ride a KLR 650, a 450 EXC (non-plated) & sometimes my daughters KLX 140. I'm interested in classes for on & off road techniques.

HappyCRNA: The school in Alpheretta, Ga. sounds like a good idea for both myself & my daughter. I'm around twenty miles West of the Tennessee river but, I might be able to make a short vacation of it.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #9426
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
There is a very cool, but sort of "snobbish" 4x4/travel/offroad website that I used to hang out on called ExpeditionPortal.com. Meet some great guys when I had my Jeep, much more my speed of offroading, versus the more traditional "let's see how much shit I can break climbing this hill" local mentality.

Anyway, there are a number of guys on there that are convinced that they can go almost anyway that a 530KTM can, but they do it on GSAs. I don't think that they always ride that way, but they have this air that they CAN do it with a GSA, and do from what I've seen. My argument was WHY? It's rougher on the bike, not as fun, wears you out, etc. Of course, a lot of them are near the desert, but not all. Still, doesn't sound like fun to me, and that's why I ride.
Shame on you sandalscout. As a fellow KLR rider I thought you would understand the appeal of riding a HEAVY pig all the places the real dirt bikes go.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #9427
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Shame on you sandalscout. As a fellow KLR rider I thought you would understand the appeal of riding a HEAVY pig all the places the real dirt bikes go.
I miss my XT250 sometimes. There is a decent chance that I'd still have it if it had 5 more HP and was 5 inches taller.

The KLR is probably 130 pounds heavier than it was.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #9428
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
I miss my XT250 sometimes. There is a decent chance that I'd still have it if it had 5 more HP and was 5 inches taller.

Trust me, you made the right move.

As for a GS-A keeping up with a strong single in the woods, it's against the laws. The laws of Gravity, the laws of Physics, and any law associated with common sense. With a GS-A, you are talking about twice the weight of a 530. I will go so far as to bet a CASE of beer that there are places a 530 will go in Turkey Bay that a GREAT GS-A rider would never attempt.

.....but I would LOVE to see somebody try to prove me wrong!
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #9429
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:

Cough, cough... you need a DRZ!

I guarantee you the only thing that will get a GS-A into Sequatchie is gravity.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9430
jeventures
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
I've had my 950ADV back there before...not all the way down the gulf but a few of the boulder-ed creek crossings. I have much more fun now that I have a 450 EXC. There is a reason some of the GSA and 950 guys have winches on their bikes...when 500lbs goes down...it's a royal PIA to get back up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post

Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #9431
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,105
Anybody that thinks they can ride their GSA anywhere I can ride my 450EXC needs to meet me at Highland Park.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #9432
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,336
Hey I've always wondered about those big BMWs . . . .the way the motor sticks out, if you drop the bike, does it knock the head / cylinder loose from the case?

Knib High football rules !
Old 02-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #9433
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post

Don't be hating.........
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #9434
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Hey I've always wondered about those big BMWs . . . .the way the motor sticks out, if you drop the bike, does it knock the head / cylinder loose from the case?

Knib High football rules !
I've seen videos of the bikes going down hard on the cylinder, and the rider would just pivot the bike around on the head to get it in a better position to pick up. I'm not saying they ain't tough, they are just too big and heavy to do what a real dirt bike can do. There are sections of deep, loose gravel that can swallow a slow moving bike. A 100 h.p. GS rear wheel will dig in, a EXC (even a DRZ) would skip over the top.

I'm not saying there is not a BMW Boxer motor bike that can be ridden like a dirt bike, I think it's called an HP (?) The GS is just too heavy.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM   #9435
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
I'm not saying there is not a BMW Boxer motor bike that can be ridden like a dirt bike, I think it's called an HP (?) The GS is just too heavy.
HP2.... those are sick bikes, but still more than I'd want to man handle around offroad. There is a report on here with a guy who built a 1200 (I THINK it was a normal GS) and ran an enduro on it. Unfortunately, all of the pictures disappeared many moons ago, but the descriptions made it seem as thought it ended up upside down a few times. If I recall correctly, the bike finished the enduro, and the guy stripped it down and parted it, it was so jacked up afterward.