ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #9706
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Hope all you guys are getting juiced up about this AWESOME weekend weather.

If you go riding this weekend.... take some pics and post them ? ? ?

Let's see what everyone's up to
Well the DRZ is dead, got fire, got fuel, got backfire every now and then but thats about it. :( Hasn't started since Last Sunday and it was hard to start then but it did run great after getting it started. I do not have a way to check compression , and it does have spark with the plug out bout kinda wonder if it sparks under compression . Any ideas ? ?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #9707
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnit man View Post
Well the DRZ is dead, got fire, got fuel, got backfire every now and then but thats about it. :( Hasn't started since Last Sunday and it was hard to start then but it did run great after getting it started. I do not have a way to check compression , and it does have spark with the plug out bout kinda wonder if it sparks under compression . Any ideas ? ?
Check the valve clearances home boy I bet you lunch they need to be adjusted
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #9708
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,760
LBL ride tomorrow morning. 8:30 @ Bauers Restaurant. Kickstands up at 9:30.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #9709
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 280
Are any of you local boys going to make it to Moonshine this year. The event is next weekend up in Casey, IL. It's a great event for sport tourers, long distance riders, touring riders, ADV riders and DS riders. I guess that says it for just about everyone, which it is. It's pretty close to home in my book, only about a 5 hour ride or so. Easy day trip up and back.

I've arranged for a special guest to arrive up there. Sjaak Lucassen is on his way while making his Polar Ice Ride. See http://r1goesextreme.com/ for more info on his epic ride. His ride is from Barrow, AK to Key West, FL on a Yamaha R1. It was -40 up in AK when he started out!

I expect he will be passing through or near Nashville sometime around the 15th of this month.

I was planning Bfast in Lavinia in the AM....maybe I will be at Bauer's, not sure yet.

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:39 PM   #9710
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Road SV today, or tried to. Buddy dropped his bike in one of the water crossings. About 2 gallons of water poured out of the airbox after fishing it out of the river. Ended up having to tow the bike out with mine using some straps some ATV riders loaned us. What a pain in the ass! Probably the most unpleasant ride I have ever had.

Lesson of the day? Always carry straps, a spark plug wrench (and any tools necessary to get to spark plug), a spare air filter and extra oil. And, most important, ALWAYS make sure your GoPro is filming during river crossings.

Hopefully there is no serious damage to the engine.
wdavis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #9711
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
check the valve clearances home boy i bet you lunch they need to be adjusted
+1
Old 04-06-2013, 08:45 PM   #9712
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Check the valve clearances home boy I bet you lunch they need to be adjusted
Is that a regular affair on a DRz? Sounds awfully sudden.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #9713
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,760
It's not uncommon with any thumper. Mine probably needs a valve check, too. It starts, but can be fickle. If I don't check them, one day it'll do the same thing as Spinnit Man's.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #9714
ihatefalling
Let it roll

WD - - - Been there , done that at SV. Yea you,re right.... you never know when a bike or rider is gunna eat it in one of the gulfs . . . and need a tow home. Glad it worked out good for you and the quads came to the rescue. It can be a crappy feeling wondering if someone is gunna have to walk out and leave a bike down there. HA, I don't know what would be worse....having to walk out or having to tow a bike out both would SUCK

R2L.... +1 on what Thread sead.

Kind-of a love of labor. Really not too bad once you learn how. I'll prob check mine today just to keep tabs on what the motor is doing. Will take 20 minutes? Don't let maintenance like that scare you away from a 450 cause I know ur thinking about one. The 450s basically open up the world to you.... can ride anywhere.......well "almost" anywhere

Well - phase one of the weekend is thru. What good weather yesterday. A couple of the local pushers strong armed up a local urban DS ride and I'm sure glad they did. Had a heck of a ride. Amazing what you can do in 3-4 hours if you just get out and do it.

Started off the day with a pancake breakfast

After some yard work , DFU and TDM swung by the crib and we rolled over to BLT's house using the super-secret short cut.

We all sat in amazement at BLTs bravado when he said 'hell yea I'm riding the 500 today".

We hit some of the local spots.

It's been a while since anyone's been here:

DFU hitting a climb:

After a good workout riding some trails and hill climbs we stopped by and had some lemonade and brownies with some local young ladies.

DFU had pointed out an area he used to ride as a kid. There's a radio tower nearby and it would be a heck of a goal if we could make it to the tower and push on thru. Would make for another "section."

It was a super cool spot and the terrain worked out cool. We hunted around and ended up having to try and get to the tower a different way. Made it to a knob - almost to the tower.

At that point we had a "point of no return" drop off the knob to get to the tower. We knew we could get close but sisn't know if the last 20-50 feet or so would be a cut into the hill that we couldn't get down.

The DS gods must have been riding with us b/c we made it down the hill and to the tower. Had we not, I don't know if we could have got the bikes back up that hill. We could have really been in a jam. BUT --- we made it out.

At the end of the day we did a little "exploring" and about got ourselves in a jam. Sometimes you worry when the only way out is "UP"

It was a super great day of riding local. Had some good riding and found some new stuff. ANd I'll tell ya...... if you want to see some strange looks, try riding down OHB in Brentwood with a guy who's on a CR500. About every third car that has a guy driving it has a 100% WTF look on his face

ihatefalling screwed with this post 04-07-2013 at 06:55 AM
ihatefalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 AM   #9715
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Any of you guys want to go-in on a used motorhome?

Nothing fancy but might make for a good mobile headquarters ? ?

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ471100490
Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM   #9716
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnit man View Post
You cant check the compression on thr DRZ. Well, you can, but it takes too much work. There is an automatic compression release that screws with the readings.

I'm with the others, let's set the intake valves. Its a DRZ thing. I have a shim set, If the DPO (dipshit previous owner) has any clue what he was doing, the exhaust valves will be fine.

(Closed circuit message to IHF.....we're still cool, right? )
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #9717
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
dipshit previous owner has any clue what he was doing, the exhaust valves will be fine.
Valves???? . . . . . I took them all out....they're nothing but trouble.

Spinnit - those DRZ gearboxes have a " turbo encabulator " in them. There's some good write-ups on the internet about them. Might be worth checking???
Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #9718
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:

Spinnit - those DRZ gearboxes have a " turbo encabulator " in them. There's some good write-ups on the internet about them. Might be worth checking???
S-man, I have hop-up parts for the "T. E." also.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #9719
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Brought a little SV back with us yesterday. Spent the day drying out the bike and eventually got it started.

Old 04-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #9720
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
You cant check the compression on thr DRZ. Well, you can, but it takes too much work. There is an automatic compression release that screws with the readings.

I'm with the others, let's set the intake valves. Its a DRZ thing. I have a shim set, If the DPO (dipshit previous owner) has any clue what he was doing, the exhaust valves will be fine.

(Closed circuit message to IHF.....we're still cool, right? )
Well Troy, I think IHF got lucky, the Exhasust are right on the money, and you are right the intake are very tight, no gap at all ! I got it ready for the master's hand LOL let's get it set when you get a minute.
thanks, for your help ! !