ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #11266
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Why not bring out the WartHog? Just too much fun on the Duc?

Yes, DAMN nice. Sounds mean, has the coolest stuff on it already, and he was picking up the wheel like it was a much smaller bike.
I might bring the Ninja but back tire is shot and the one on the Duck is too...can only afford one and it's not going on the Ninja.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #11267
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Oddometer: 5,685
Quote:
There is some (pretty serious, I think) talk of riding Turkey Bay. I've not been there, but I think it'd be more fun on a smaller bike.
I'd be down for Saturday in Turkey bay. Is that area outside of Linton still "open" ?
iyaoyas98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #11268
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I'm in with my new bike! Turkey bay here i come.....NOT! I will show up at camp sometime.

I have been looking all my life for this bike ( I have owned a bunch) and it is AMAZING! Nothing like a second gear 6 inch high wheelie for a 150 yards...Weeee
Old 10-24-2013, 05:45 PM   #11269
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
There are about 400 miles of road at LBL, most of them are hard pack dirt and gravel. Some of them are in pretty funky shape, and some of them are smooth and fast. Last time out, it rained pretty heavily and had gotten slick in places, but even those on bigger bikes did fine. That said, the bigger bikes were 650cc bikes, with the exception of Troy who rode his DL1000 on the one dry day and did fine, but wasn't willing to push it more than he did, and Kevin on his 1100GS.

There is some (pretty serious, I think) talk of riding Turkey Bay. I've not been there, but I think it'd be more fun on a smaller bike.

What's your big bike and small bike? 650cc, easy, no problem. 1000cc+, may be a handful at Turkey Bay, and maybe even some other places, but doable if you are capable. My opinion at least.
Thanks for the info. I have a plated KTM 250 XCF-W, a Yamaha WR250R and a BMW 800GS. Based on your description I'll probably bring the WRR.
wdavis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #11270
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98 View Post
I'd be down for Saturday in Turkey bay. Is that area outside of Linton still "open" ?
That area has been closed off for the past 4-5 years

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #11271
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
That area has been closed off for the past 4-5 years
I'd heard that, but hadn't been down that road in a long time. I wasn't sure how closed "closed" was.

There was some fun stuff back in there.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #11272
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaoyas98 View Post
Sounds like me and you need to hook up sometime my GS has the same problem, likes to get the front end up from time to time
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #11273
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavis009 View Post
Thanks for the info. I have a plated KTM 250 XCF-W, a Yamaha WR250R and a BMW 800GS. Based on your description I'll probably bring the WRR.
I think that the WRR will fit in just fine. Ken had one in the spring and it was a good choice out there.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #11274
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
I think that the WRR will fit in just fine. Ken had one in the spring and it was a good choice out there.
Hmmm...I have the klx, a klx, and a ummmmm, a klx. Looks like I'll take the klx. Wish I had more options lol.
I had a blast on my 250 last time.
How does the wr compare to rhe ktm?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #11275
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnit man View Post
Sounds like me and you need to hook up sometime my GS has the same problem, likes to get the front end up from time to time
From time to time my speed triple gets vertigo.

If you still got IHF's old dizzer in a couple weeks I may have a buyer for you. He's in the market and I'm gently nudging...

Btw, those are my old rad guards on there.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #11276
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
I'm in with my new bike! Turkey bay here i come.....NOT! I will show up at camp sometime.

I have been looking all my life for this bike ( I have owned a bunch) and it is AMAZING! Nothing like a second gear 6 inch high wheelie for a 150 yards...Weeee
SWEET! I was just on their website yesterday drooling over the Pikes Peak edition.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #11277
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by drm View Post
Hmmm...I have the klx, a klx, and a ummmmm, a klx. Looks like I'll take the klx. Wish I had more options lol.
I had a blast on my 250 last time.
How does the wr compare to rhe ktm?
The KTM is better in every way, with two important exceptions: top speed (due to the tall 6th gear on the WRR) and maintenance schedule. I wish the WRR had more power, but I am not willing to give up the low maintenance to get it. It's probably the most versatile bike I've ever owned, including the 690 Enduro. I've ridden it on Westpoint single track, and then cruised home at 80mph.
wdavis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #11278
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
There are about 400 miles of road at LBL, most of them are hard pack dirt and gravel. Some of them are in pretty funky shape, and some of them are smooth and fast. Last time out, it rained pretty heavily and had gotten slick in places, but even those on bigger bikes did fine. That said, the bigger bikes were 650cc bikes, with the exception of Troy who rode his DL1000 on the one dry day and did fine, but wasn't willing to push it more than he did, and Kevin on his 1100GS.

What's your big bike and small bike? 650cc, easy, no problem. 1000cc+, may be a handful at Turkey Bay, and maybe even some other places, but doable if you are capable. My opinion at least.
I thought I had something lined up for this Saturday but, I found out there is a H.S. band competition in Huntingdon I can't miss or it'll break the Papooses heart.

I'd guess that an experienced rider on a big ADV-twin (never having ridden one) would have a blast on the novice trail @ Turkey Bay, as long as it's dry. I find the yellow & Orange trails fun (wet or dry) on Godzilla. Blue trails get gnarly quick but, sometimes a KLR will get you pretty far before you gotta turn around.

Shoot me a P.M. if you ever want to check Turkey Bay out. Heck if it's dry that weekend, we might just register with Turkey Bay (it's a 3 day pass) on Nov/8 & campers who are interested can at least do a quick loop around the place or spend all day as some very likely will consider.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #11279
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 277
I've had my share of Mondays this week. My replacement engine won't be in until Monday and I should be finished with other repairs by tomorrow. I'm looking to get out and ride Sunday. Choices, choices. Better to get out and ride than rest up around the shop.

1) I'm thinking of trailering the XR650R down to Humphries County to explore more dirt down that way along the river and maybe over into Decatur, Perry or Benton counties. There is a fair amount of dirt down there and several roads that I have yet to explore.

2) Ride the Tenere over to the Mississippi River and run the levee roads and back gravel roads. Maybe start around Paducah and run all the way over to Tiptonville. Some of the WMAs might be open or closed due to hunting season but it's about the ride, not the destination.

Anyone have an interest? Jeff's new Duc would have a lot of fun on option #2 as there will be a lot of mixed roads. I could ride the Tenere down to Humphries but I found some roads down there the last time I was not super comfortable exploring on the big bike due to its weight.

If anyone has an interest in joining for either option, post your vote. Even if I don't ride either of these options, I will get out for a while on Sunday. The weather is forecast to be really nice and I need a day of recharging.

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #11280
iyaoyas98
Bored Silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
I've had my share of Mondays this week. My replacement engine won't be in until Monday and I should be finished with other repairs by tomorrow. I'm looking to get out and ride Sunday. Choices, choices. Better to get out and ride than rest up around the shop.

1) I'm thinking of trailering the XR650R down to Humphries County to explore more dirt down that way along the river and maybe over into Decatur, Perry or Benton counties. There is a fair amount of dirt down there and several roads that I have yet to explore.

2) Ride the Tenere over to the Mississippi River and run the levee roads and back gravel roads. Maybe start around Paducah and run all the way over to Tiptonville. Some of the WMAs might be open or closed due to hunting season but it's about the ride, not the destination.

Anyone have an interest? Jeff's new Duc would have a lot of fun on option #2 as there will be a lot of mixed roads. I could ride the Tenere down to Humphries but I found some roads down there the last time I was not super comfortable exploring on the big bike due to its weight.

If anyone has an interest in joining for either option, post your vote. Even if I don't ride either of these options, I will get out for a while on Sunday. The weather is forecast to be really nice and I need a day of recharging.
I wish I didn't have a two hour slab commute just to get there.