ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #11281
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemuncher View Post
I've had my share of Mondays this week. My replacement engine won't be in until Monday and I should be finished with other repairs by tomorrow. I'm looking to get out and ride Sunday. Choices, choices. Better to get out and ride than rest up around the shop.

1) I'm thinking of trailering the XR650R down to Humphries County to explore more dirt down that way along the river and maybe over into Decatur, Perry or Benton counties. There is a fair amount of dirt down there and several roads that I have yet to explore.

2) Ride the Tenere over to the Mississippi River and run the levee roads and back gravel roads. Maybe start around Paducah and run all the way over to Tiptonville. Some of the WMAs might be open or closed due to hunting season but it's about the ride, not the destination.

Anyone have an interest? Jeff's new Duc would have a lot of fun on option #2 as there will be a lot of mixed roads. I could ride the Tenere down to Humphries but I found some roads down there the last time I was not super comfortable exploring on the big bike due to its weight.

If anyone has an interest in joining for either option, post your vote. Even if I don't ride either of these options, I will get out for a while on Sunday. The weather is forecast to be really nice and I need a day of recharging.
Sounds like a good ride but my back tire is gone. I have a new one on the way, but it will be next week before I get it. I don't know if I want to ride on gravel as fast as you ride. My new bike could get dirty.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #11282
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
I've had my share of Mondays this week. My replacement engine won't be in until Monday and I should be finished with other repairs by tomorrow. I'm looking to get out and ride Sunday. Choices, choices. Better to get out and ride than rest up around the shop.

1) I'm thinking of trailering the XR650R down to Humphries County to explore more dirt down that way along the river and maybe over into Decatur, Perry or Benton counties. There is a fair amount of dirt down there and several roads that I have yet to explore.

2) Ride the Tenere over to the Mississippi River and run the levee roads and back gravel roads. Maybe start around Paducah and run all the way over to Tiptonville. Some of the WMAs might be open or closed due to hunting season but it's about the ride, not the destination.

Anyone have an interest? Jeff's new Duc would have a lot of fun on option #2 as there will be a lot of mixed roads. I could ride the Tenere down to Humphries but I found some roads down there the last time I was not super comfortable exploring on the big bike due to its weight.

If anyone has an interest in joining for either option, post your vote. Even if I don't ride either of these options, I will get out for a while on Sunday. The weather is forecast to be really nice and I need a day of recharging.
I could do option #1 on Godzilla & know a couple of challenging hill climbs in New Johnsonville. I'm not too familiar with Humphries County though & wouldn't mind exploring it better.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #11283
BajaDoug
Swabbie

Oddometer: 448
OK who put the speed bumps in???

BajaDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM   #11284
Backwoodsone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Ride

Hey dude opt 2 sounds great we made it up to bardwell last weekend but due to time constrains had to get back. Man that was nice through there! Little bit of everything dirt,sand,mud,gravel,and slab.We got to get together an ride! Don't think I can make it tho tha wife's sister had a baby wed so she has been with her an I got the boys with me, can't fit both on the bike ha ha you can take a detour to Kenton an stop buy tho if ya get a chance
Backwoodsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #11285
Backwoodsone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
http://photobucket
Backwoodsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #11286
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I could do option #1 on Godzilla & know a couple of challenging hill climbs in New Johnsonville. I'm not too familiar with Humphries County though & wouldn't mind exploring it better.
What time do you want to meet up? I think that I might just trailer the XR down there. I'm thinking we should meet at the south side of exit 137 I-40. There is parking there where the old fuel station used to be. NO FUEL at this exit. We can start working our way south, exploring along the river as we go for any dirt we can find. Maybe cross back over the river at Perryville and work back to I-40. I've ridden quite a bit of this but not all of it.

www.moonshine-run.com where real riders meet
treemuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #11287
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
What time do you want to meet up? I think that I might just trailer the XR down there. I'm thinking we should meet at the south side of exit 137 I-40. There is parking there where the old fuel station used to be. NO FUEL at this exit. We can start working our way south, exploring along the river as we go for any dirt we can find. Maybe cross back over the river at Perryville and work back to I-40. I've ridden quite a bit of this but not all of it.
Is that the next exit east of HWY 13? I don't have a GPS but, if I figure out how to get there.....Any time after 8:00 A.M. is fine with me.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #11288
wdavis009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Quote:

Wish I could join. I took the 800GS out today and the stock tires are pretty sketchy on dirt. I'm ordering some new ones this weekend and would be up for a ride next weekend if you go out.
wdavis009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #11289
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Is that the next exit east of HWY 13? I don't have a GPS but, if I figure out how to get there.....Any time after 8:00 A.M. is fine with me.
Barry,

It is the first exit east of the TN river bridge and one exit to the west of Hwy 13 exit. I'm pretty sure it's Cuba Landing. Your easiest method to get there will be down 641 south to I-40, east until you cross over the TN River / KY Lake and then 1st exit there after (exit 137).

I'll try to be there for 9-9:15 tomorrow morning. We should leave out at 9:30 if anyone else wants to show up. I'll try to cobble some routes up tonight.

If it's warm in the AM, I might just ride down. If it seems cold, I will likely trailer. No heated gear outlet nor grips on the XR yet.

If the weather is decent for next weekend, let's see it anyone is up for riding the MS River Levee roads from Tiptonville up to Paducah. It will be a mix of pavement and dirt.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #11290
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Barry,

It is the first exit east of the TN river bridge and one exit to the west of Hwy 13 exit. I'm pretty sure it's Cuba Landing. Your easiest method to get there will be down 641 south to I-40, east until you cross over the TN River / KY Lake and then 1st exit there after (exit 137).

I'll try to be there for 9-9:15 tomorrow morning. We should leave out at 9:30 if anyone else wants to show up. I'll try to cobble some routes up tonight.

If it's warm in the AM, I might just ride down. If it seems cold, I will likely trailer. No heated gear outlet nor grips on the XR yet.

If the weather is decent for next weekend, let's see it anyone is up for riding the MS River Levee roads from Tiptonville up to Paducah. It will be a mix of pavement and dirt.
Sounds good, see ya there.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #11291
southernraised
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I'm in for the MS Levee roads next week, I know backwoods would be game to!!
southernraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #11292
treemuncher
Vegetation Terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernraised View Post
I'm in for the MS Levee roads next week, I know backwoods would be game to!!
It will be big bike friendly. I'll take the Tenere on that ride.Maybe a GS or a Ducati might even brave the dust? Let's hope the weather cooperates.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM   #11293
southernraised
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
It will be big bike friendly. I'll take the Tenere on that ride.Maybe a GS or a Ducati might even brave the dust? Let's hope the weather cooperates.

The part we rode from Tiptonville to Hickman was plenty wide enough for a small truck so I'm sure a big bike would be no problem at all
southernraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:12 PM   #11294
monzaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
I just made the run from Hickman to Tiptonville yesterday on my Vstrom for the first time. No problem for a bigger bike unless you sneak off down by the river. Lots of sand and mud off the levee but even I was able to not fall over. If you guys decide to ride next week I might try to hook up with you somewhere if that's cool??
Old 10-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #11295
2fast4u
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
I will try and make it if i don't have to work.
This bike is hi tech and me not so much. It did something funny a couple of times and took me a bit to figure it out. I was doing some power wheelies in second gear and a couple of times it would cut out like you hit the rev limiter and fall on its face. Turns out it was breaking the tire loose and the traction control was kicking in.
Been playing with the traction control today in enduro mode. It has 8 different settings but i liked it best turned off. Me low tech.
2fast4u is offline   Reply With Quote