ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #11746
BajaDoug
Swabbie

Oddometer: 459
DVD for 24.95.
BajaDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:17 AM   #11747
Terrible1One3
n00b

Oddometer: 219
Cold weather! I was able to take the Can-Am out to MX Wildflower Saturday. Was really wet and muddy but other than that good riding. My neighbor on his CR125 could pretty much only run the mini-track as everything else was too muddy but the quad flew over everything. Muddiest I've ever got, helped push out a few dirtbikes who braved the trails.

As far as the KLX250s I got some funny looks from folks when I went to Loretta Lynns for the December trail ride and I now see why. I was the only Dual Sport there (that I saw) and it was rough and muddy. All around the bike outperformed my abilities at the moment, only thing really lacking were the DOT tires (which in all honesty were fine, I just blame them for some slides), the stock bars that bent on my third and final drop, and I was going to say the power but really that was fine all day.

There was a lot of KTM's out on the trail that day and it got me looking at them but really I don't need a dedicated trail bike at this point, fact of the matter is my bike was fine.

That said, I have fixed those issues :)

Got my ride back from Cool Springs Kawasaki with some Pro-Taper 1 1/8" bars on it along with a Bill Blue 351 kit and re-jetted carb. I also power-washed off (mostly on accident) most of the decals.

Now I've got a bike! Still "breaking it in" but I didn't make it through factory break in before ragging on it and I doubt I will make it through a second "factory break in" before ragging on it again, though I have heat cycled it half a dozen times after the dealership did it so many times and she seems smooth as silk.

Oh and I traded in my Audi A3 and Silverado for a new truck, got 23mpg on a trip to Michigan and I can fit the quad in the back with the tailgate closed, first mopar ever and really like it, especially for a base model.

I was thinking of getting a 'fender eliminator' kit but for $75-$140 it isn't worth just making the tail light smaller.
Terrible1One3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM   #11748
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,332
Congrats on the bike mods !

Hard to bend those big bars - and I'm sure like the new grunt the bike has when you flog on it
Old 01-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #11749
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible1One3 View Post
I was thinking of getting a 'fender eliminator' kit but for $75-$140 it isn't worth just making the tail light smaller.
Looking good!

Instead of a model specific light, you might have good luck with this one:

http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Prod...-34056-00.aspx

Not as cheap as some units on ebay, but it's built better. I had a cheap one on my old bike, and it wasn't as easy to see. I put this one on the KLR when I replaced the rear fender, really happy with it.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM   #11750
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Sweetness. Looks like a fun rig.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #11751
tonymarchman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Quote:
Terrible 1ONE3 wrote: "Oh and I traded in my Audi A3 and Silverado for a new truck, got 23mpg on a trip to Michigan."

Could you give us some more info on this? What motor and transmission do you have in it?

Thanks
Tony in Tn
tonymarchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 06:07 PM   #11752
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,917
:( Im a fan of the A3. Make mine a TDI please.
AMA-262640
ride2little is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #11753
Terrible1One3
n00b

Was a 2.0L Quattro AWD. I would have considered the TDI if it came in AWD. At franklin Dodge if you want it.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #11754
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Terrible1One3- Oh and I traded in my Audi A3 and Silverado for a new truck, got 23mpg on a trip to Michigan and I can fit the quad in the back with the tailgate closed, first mopar ever and really like it, especially for a base model.

Nice truck, I've always liked Dodge products. I've got a Toyota Tacoma 2.7l, 22/28 mpg. 2W.D. I can fit my 700 Raptor in the bed & shut the gate but, it's a single cab & I doubt the gate would shut on an extended cab. Front tires brush the wheel wells (lightly) as it is now.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #11755
Terrible1One3
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymarchman View Post
Quote:
Terrible 1ONE3 wrote: "Oh and I traded in my Audi A3 and Silverado for a new truck, got 23mpg on a trip to Michigan."

Could you give us some more info on this? What motor and transmission do you have in it?

Thanks
Tony in Tn
My bad, read your message and the next one and mashed them together in my head :).

On the dodge I went with the 3.6 Liter Pentastar V6 and 8-Speed transmission, two-wheel drive, tradesman trim level. Same drivetrain my dad's Grand Cherokee has in it (minus AWD).

I test drove the Hemi with the 6-speed, Chevy with V8 and 6-speed, and honestly was blown away by the Mopar V6 with 8-speed transmission, it's smooth as silk, has power everywhere, light and nimble, cruised great.

I never feel like it's a 6 cylinder, it does sound like one though, and if you want all the crazy doo-dad's (back-up cameras, etc) I'm not sure you can trim out a V6 as much as you can the Hemi.

All around I'm very happy, I wouldn't touch the GM V6, and the GM still had the "beam shake" my '08 silverado had at highway speeds.

I've never had a 'trimmed out' vehicle so I don't miss not having all the extras, that said the base truck has a lot more extras than the base truck 10-15 years ago had.

Mine has Sirius/XM, 4 line display on the radio, info center/computer between tach and speedo, auto locking tailgate (lock doors, tailgate locks, unlock doors tailgate unlocks etc.), power windows/locks, decent sounding stereo, aluminum wheels (not steel), pretty much everything you could want in a 'truck' and nothing more :)
Old 01-07-2014, 06:58 PM   #11756
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
All this talk about orange coolaid has got me thinking....
clocklaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #11757
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDoug View Post
DVD for 24.95.

I'll rent it when it comes out on Redbox!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #11758
PsychoChem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Opinions on these bikes anyone? Really want to still buy that KDX for the upcoming ride season!
http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4267909878.html Bike #1

http://bgky.craigslist.org/mcy/4264846730.html Bike #2 (Street legal??? Worth it if I plan on mainly using it for racing/Turkey Bay stuff?)

http://bgky.craigslist.org/mcy/4267667322.html Bike #3

PsychoChem screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 09:49 AM
PsychoChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:50 PM   #11759
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 10,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Opinions on these bikes anyone? Really want to still buy that KDX for the upcoming ride season!

http://bgky.craigslist.org/mcy/4264846730.html Bike #2 (Street legal??? Worth it if I plan on mainly using it for racing/Turkey Bay stuff?)

That 200 looks like the cleanest one of the bunch, is street legal, and you don't have to worry about changing the piston like on the 220 model. Try to talk the d00d down some and you have a good trail bike. About the only thing you'll need for it is a pipe & suspension work (or KX 250 forks) and you're done.

The 220 stock piston had a tendency of cracking along the skirt. The cure is to change the piston to a Wiseco or other aftermarket piston.

Or... spend a few more $$$ and get an 04-up KTM 250 or 300.

Another good trail bike when set up properly is a YZ250. 05-up have the aluminum frame.

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #11760
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post

IMO --- I'd try to leverage the prices on those 02s to try and get the guy down on that clean one that's plated. Plated one look unmolested.Ive had a plated smoker before - its OK I guess but you won't hardly use it on DS rides as long as you've got that DR. Prob not worth the cost to register it ? ? Leave the title open? KDXs are great bikes - they run forever