ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 06:11 AM   #12361
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoodsone View Post
Heck yeah dude I'm sure ya got some good places to ride up there rather than the flat land that I live in lol. How far is it from you to lbl we ride up there a lot me an a Buddie of mine are trying to plan a trip for the tat across ten prob be during the summer tho.
It's a couple hours to LBL. I usually make a weekend of it when I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Come to Turkey Bay this weekend with me and WS? I promise I won't cry as much as last time trying to do the blue trails on a DR650 since I`ll have the KDX and I can probably make up brand new excuses about it being tall!
I might head that way, but the winds are supposed to gust to 45pmh tonight. That may leave the trails in a mess if any trees drop... And if that's the case, then I bet they'll close Turkey Bay for a while.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:59 AM   #12362
KJD19892
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post

I might head that way, but the winds are supposed to gust to 45pmh tonight. That may leave the trails in a mess if any trees drop... And if that's the case, then I bet they'll close Turkey Bay for a while.
They actually just reopened it today for the first time since December, there will be storm damage without a doubt between our winter storms and the winds were getting today. Just a heads up if you don't want to deal with downed trees.

Now I'm wanting to get up there with one of my bikes though...

KJD19892 screwed with this post 03-27-2014 at 10:05 AM
KJD19892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #12363
Backwoodsone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
I hate this time of year it's like havin a Christmas present an knowing what it is an you really really want it but can't open it to Christmas Day!!!!!!
Backwoodsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #12364
Terrible1One3
n00b

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
I might be down since Turkey Bay doesn't seem likely to ever open again. But don't you need to be a member or something to ride there?
Yes, NATRA (Northern Alabama Trail Riders Association) has the use lease on the land. You are supposed to be a member to ride there. No enforcement to speak of but the fact is if you ride there you should join. $50 a year for 24/7 land access minus when races are going on to over 5000 acres is the best deal in town.

NATRA-Westpoint.net is the site.
Terrible1One3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:54 PM   #12365
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

I expect to head to Turkey Bay tomorrow. Weather permitting, I'd like to get up there around 9 and ride tomorrow and Sunday. Is anybody else planning on heading over that way?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #12366
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
I expect to head to Turkey Bay tomorrow. Weather permitting, I'd like to get up there around 9 and ride tomorrow and Sunday. Is anybody else planning on heading over that way?
Radar suggests a mud bog for this weekend in a lot of central TN.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #12367
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Call me if you're still in. I can't find yours or Mikes number. I'll still go if you guys are still going. The rain is supposed to stop by 10:00 & tomorrow is supposed to be dry.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #12368
PsychoChem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Mud bog was an understatement.....even after 5 mins with a pressure washer the bike is still muddy......but me and threadkiller are going back for round 2 (hopefully drier.....)

PsychoChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #12369
graygoat657
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Mud bog was an understatement.....even after 5 mins with a pressure washer the bike is still muddy......but me and threadkiller are going back for round 2 (hopefully drier.....)

Duuuuuude..... Looks like you needed an ATV or SxS with some 30" Silverbacks and a snorkel kit.
graygoat657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #12370
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

The trails at Turkey Bay dried up nicely today as long as you stayed off the main loop. We challenged ourselves and got better because of it. It was really a great day to ride!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:08 AM   #12371
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
The trails at Turkey Bay dried up nicely today as long as you stayed off the main loop. We challenged ourselves and got better because of it. It was really a great day to ride!
Glad you guys got a second day of great riding in. I'd really like to ride more of the blue trails but, my papoose won't ride the blue trails for very long before turning around. No way I could have left her home 2 days in a row & if the main loop was still nasty she wouldn't have had a good time anyway.

Next time you guys head out for some blue trail action, drop me a line & I'll see if I can ditch the papoose. Although I do love a casual ride around the park, watching the daughters skills improve.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #12372
PsychoChem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Glad you guys got a second day of great riding in. I'd really like to ride more of the blue trails but, my papoose won't ride the blue trails for very long before turning around. No way I could have left her home 2 days in a row & if the main loop was still nasty she wouldn't have had a good time anyway.

Next time you guys head out for some blue trail action, drop me a line & I'll see if I can ditch the papoose. Although I do love a casual ride around the park, watching the daughters skills improve.
We actually stayed on orange trails most of the time. There was definitely still some mud (the main trail was a NO GO for the most past except for short jaunts in between trails....minus trail E, that stayed dry?) and even some the orange were really nasty mud. We ended up finding some really fun orange trails though and have a much better idea on what is good in there now. When it's dry we'll have to hit up the blues for sure but the few we tried were just way too steep in that slop to really want to try.

But yeah this whole weekend was awesome and I definitely am feeling a lot more confident on the 2 stroke KDX. I definitely need rear brake pads (I basically didn't even have it yesterday hahahaha) and to redo my rear suspension now. Front felt great but I kept getting launched off the bike due to the rear being so high....Also OEM bark busters on Kawi`s are made of pot metal and break very easily.....See you guys at Loretta Lynns!
PsychoChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 AM   #12373
Terrible1One3
n00b

Oddometer: 216
Weather down at Westpoint was perfect Sunday. Conditions were a 9/10, with a couple mucky areas, probably totaling a half mile out of the 40 or so we rode... so about as close to perfect as it gets.

Had a great ride, some rough points, Mike D went down hard, initially thought he broke his leg but after a bit he was able to ride out back to the truck. Christian lost his rear brakes towards the end, and we lost two out of the group towards the end (arrived back at the trucks 5 minutes after we did luckily).

Other than that it was an awesome trail. Didn't have the expertise up front leading us but our rag-tag group got us through some pretty good stuff without too much churning on Ore Rd.

Can't wait for Loretta's this weekend. Is it Thursday yet?

Terrible1One3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #12374
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 584
cant believe some of yall missed march moto. it was awesome. (the 1190 i rode was pretty sick) ;)

anyone else gonna be at rad dad this weekend??

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
racergirl479 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:34 AM   #12375
Backwoodsone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Think I will just sell out an get a sail boat looks like I would get more use out of one of those!
Backwoodsone is offline   Reply With Quote