ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #12541
Spinnit man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft View Post
I'm not one for posting ride reports......mostly because I'm too damn lazy to upload vids and pics and put together this dang post. BUT, after this ride, I felt compelled to do so. If for any reason to "advertise" this great event and get some of you Tennessee boys up to Kentucky next year!!!!

The folks that put on this event are outstanding and you can get info here:
http://www.usdualsports.com/2012/07/...ual-sport.html

Not sure yet about dates for 2015, but the past two years I went it was first weekend in May. (May 2-4, 2014). Its staged from the KOA campgrounds in Mt Vernon......whom do an excellent job hosting all of us inmates.

This year's event was absolutely phenomenal - weather was flawless, trails were brutal and fun, and IHF behaved.....for the most part. This was easily one of the most intense rides I've done. Saturday was over 100 miles and Sunday another 70+.

So IHF and me loaded up Friday afternoon and headed up to the Daniel Boone State forest for this awesome ride.

On the way, I started noticing IHF had a "fan" club. Unfortunately it wasnt based in what I would call appealing venues.

After a decent 3 hour drive, we finally arrived. The bikes were clean and ready to rock. IHF kept referring to our camper as the "honeymoon suite" and that really got me nervous. And when I told him my bike has fresh rubber, he just smiled and said "ooooooo". Again, I got nervous.

Later that evening we popped into town for a quick bite to eat. Low and behold - IHF has fans in Kentucky. What the heck?? Go figure.

So during the ride I managed to take quite a few vids. But in the sake of time, I've posted only a few. Needless to say, as in most cases, they dont do this ride justice. Our pace was screaming fast, especially when we paired up with a couple National Enduro Senior riders. And the advanced sections were grueling. Some of the steep switchbacks and maiden single track just werent fully done justice in these vids. (I filmed in 1080P but recommend playing in 720P)
Nonetheless......watching you know who sink his bike in this first one was classic.

Yes, yet another classic tangle by his truly - he's the second guy in front of me....you can just see his helmet lifting up off the ground

A couple more vids:

So Friday we see this massive rockstar rig pull in front of our campsite. IHF and I look at each other and say "who is this spoiled brat rich kid rolling in here all bad?" As it turns out its a friend of our's we've ridden with in the past who is a great guy and rider.....he had us over Saturday night for some drinks. Of course IHF offended him and wouldnt finish his glass of Cirac vodka.

One of the many cool overlooks. In this shot, we told him you cannot go potty #2 off those rocks, but he didnt listen:

A few riders are stopped here for one of the provided lunch breaks. Around 250 rode the event this year. And they provided dinner at the camp Saturday night.

Sunday, the local fire station sponsored a gas stop and lunch.

Dropping off of here would have been a bad thing

As well as here:

So, in conclusion, a super great ride!!! And thanks to IHF for showing me this place and setting up the campsite and all. I will be back for my third year next year.....was sore for several days after but am already looking forward to it.

Oh, on the way home, yep.....more fans.
Man I missed a really good one sure hope to make it next year, FYI I am back in shape and ready to ride
Old 05-15-2014, 05:16 PM   #12542
Scooter1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Steve Litz in Johnson City, TN. But thats in east Tn.
Scooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 AM   #12543
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 635
One more vote for jerry. He knows his stuff. Found this out when doing the fork swap on the beemer. He was a huge help even just for info and ordering custom parts :)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #12544
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,327
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
Has anyone heard what the date is for SWR Fall trail ride @ Loretta Lynn's this year? My family is trying to get everyone together in the Fall & they want to know what date is good for everyone. I've already checked southernwoodsrider.com & Loretta Lynn's website but, there is no mention of it.

Is it always the first weekend of October or has that just been a recent trend?

Oct 17-19, 2014
Old 05-18-2014, 06:42 PM   #12545
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 836
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatefalling View Post
Oct 17-19, 2014
Thanks, that helps a lot.
Wallachian Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:58 PM   #12546
PsychoChem
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Turkey Bay anyone?

Hey the KDX is fixed (but the DR650 is now apart for fork seal replacement......). I can finally crash my own bike again instead of other people's ! Anyway anyone down to hit up Turkey Bay this Friday? Possibly other days of the weekend as well if it stays nice/there's interest?
PsychoChem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 PM   #12547
Terrible1One3
n00b

Oddometer: 219
I'm not doing it because I just heard about it but there is an AMA sponsored ADV ride this weekend starting out of Westpoint, TN.

Find out more at NATRA-Westpoint.net
Terrible1One3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:05 AM   #12548
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Hey the KDX is fixed (but the DR650 is now apart for fork seal replacement......). I can finally crash my own bike again instead of other people's ! Anyway anyone down to hit up Turkey Bay this Friday? Possibly other days of the weekend as well if it stays nice/there's interest?
I'd like to but, my rib is still sore from when I flopped on my a$$ on Troy's DRZ. I still don't think it's broken as it's already healed up a lot but, a cough or sneeze is a quick reminder of the fun I had at ADV@LBL 2.0 . I'm not doing anything more intense than gravel until I start feeling like Superman again.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:13 AM   #12549
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadkiller View Post
Hey does anyone have any interest in a tech day? I have a decent shop with a compressor, welders, and a tire changer. Just thought I'd see if anyone has a need and would like or need to spend a day turning a wrench. FWIW, I don't have any KLR doohickey tools.

I know I have a tight valve on the DRZ, so I'll be opening that up in the next week or two. I also need to throw a rear wheel bearing on, as well.
Sounds like a great idea. I suck at wrenching & don't ever attempt anything too intense. It would be cool to just sit back & watch the masters handle some of the scary stuff on their bikes.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 AM   #12550
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,780
Sorry about that WS. I didn't mean to nuke that post. I'm no master, but I view tech days as learning experiences. I might be able to teach a thing or two, but I can definitely learn as well. I didn't think there would be much interest, but if there is, just speak up here or shoot me a pm and we'll get something scheduled.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:40 PM   #12551
TroyJ650
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallachian Spikes View Post
I'd like to but, my rib is still sore from when I flopped on my a$$ on Troy's DRZ. I still don't think it's broken as it's already healed up a lot but, a cough or sneeze is a quick reminder of the fun I had at ADV@LBL 2.0 . I'm not doing anything more intense than gravel until I start feeling like Superman again.
Crap. The DRZ didn't mention that, sorry dude.
"Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire" J. Hetfield
TroyJ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #12552
drm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoChem View Post
Not this time
Old 05-23-2014, 04:03 PM   #12553
Wallachian Spikes
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyJ650 View Post
Crap. The DRZ didn't mention that, sorry dude.
It's my own fault. I was so stoked about getting out in the woods on that beast that I forgot to drop the pressure in the tires. I was going around a wash out by way of an off camber & the back end casually washed out. I don't think it would have happened if I had let out the pressure like we discussed earlier.

Had a great time out there & only 3 times did I catch myself asking "WTF am I doing following this guy (thread killer) through this s***?
Old 05-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #12554
ihatefalling
Let it roll

Oddometer: 3,327
Yall have fun this weekend ........

Old 05-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #12555
threadkiller
Semi-feral Pappy

Oddometer: 1,780
What a day! I've had quite a few irons in the fire of late, so a chance to get away and ride some dirt was a welcome event. Psychochem and I trailered our junk up to Turkey Bay and had a blast! He's finally got his suspension sorted and by the end of the day, seems like he might've figured out how to ride a smoker.

But the day wasn't without difficulty. Since there were so few riders and Mike had his camera, we thought it'd be cool to do stupid shit and get it on film. Mike started the show with a near perfect donkey kick type landing, while ol' Pappy (don't ask) stole the show with an epic jump and an even more epic pinch flat upon reentry. Unfortunately, the video cut off on my takeoff, but the still shot is more than adequate.

So we had to load our shit up and find a dealer in Murray to buy a tube. Got the tube on and couldn't find one of the axle spacers. So we looked like fucking idiots for half an hour while we combed the grass. Mike finally found it and we commenced to riding our asses off and generally going feral. He finally got the nerve to ride some of the blue trails and sho' nuff kicked ass on a couple. I think he may be hooked... Stay tuned.
threadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote